We die as men.

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

We die as men.

Postby C » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:29 pm

4 years and a day following Churchill's speech, a 29 year old Lt Col - a West Point graduate (just, according to his Grandson) - made a speech of his own. Personally, I think it is a wonderful piece of military oration. On the evening of 5th June 1944, he gathered his men in an orchard adjacent to what is now Exeter airport, and said:

"Men, I am not a religious man and I don't know your feelings in this matter, but I am going to ask you to pray with me for the success of the mission before us. And while we pray, let us get on our knees and not look down but up with faces raised to the sky so that we can see God and ask his blessing in what we are about to do.

"God almighty, in a few short hours we will be in battle with the enemy. We do not join battle afraid. We do not ask favors or indulgence but ask that, if You will, use us as Your instrument for the right and an aid in returning peace to the world.

"We do not know or seek what our fate will be. We ask only this, that if die we must, that we die as men would die, without complaining, without pleading and safe in the feeling that we have done our best for what we believed was right.

"Oh Lord, protect our loved ones and be near us in the fire ahead and with us now as we pray to you."

Sadly, within hours, the orator himself was dead; a cruel twist of fate meant his feet never touched French soil. Lt Col Robert L Wolverton, commanding officer of 3rd Bn 506th PIR of the 101st Airborne, was killed suspended by his parachute from an apple tree in an orchard just north of the hamlet of St Côme du Mont.

His words, along with the subsequent actions of his men, and many thousands of others, will live on forever. We are lucky a photographer was based at Exeter, and we are able to see the warrior before his final flight.

June 4th 1944 - "Set up" photo with Lt Alex Bobuck, Bn Adjutant:

The night itself; 5th Jun 1944 (Wolverton centre):

C
Colonel
Colonel

Re: We die as men.

Postby PhantomTweak » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:50 am

Fantastic speech, and while he was killed in the lines hanging from a tree, i'll wager he was trying to get to a weapon when he was, not begging for mercy...

Pat☺
Have fun, fly high, far, and free!
Pat
2S7, Chiloquin OR Image
PhantomTweak
Captain
Captain

Re: We die as men.

Postby expat » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:22 am

The poetics of war are quite odd at times. The fastest was for a boy to grow up is to die on the battlefield...........and then he becomes a man. Ironic really...

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to History