Victory Day

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

Victory Day

Postby Webb » Fri May 09, 2014 4:00 am

Victory Day

Victory Day or 9 May marks the capitulation of Nazi Germany to the Soviet Union in the Second World War (also known as the Great Patriotic War in the Soviet Union). It was first inaugurated in the fifteen republics of the Soviet Union, following the signing of the surrender document late in the evening on 8 May 1945 (after midnight, thus on 9 May, by Moscow Time). The Soviet government announced the victory early on 9 May after the signing ceremony in Berlin. Though the official inauguration happened in 1945 (which means it has been celebrated since 1946), the holiday became a non-labour day only in 1965 and only in some of the countries.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: Victory Day

Postby hertzie » Fri May 09, 2014 10:14 am

Hi Webb, though in Holland we celebrate our liberation at May 5th, knowing what my parents went through I always celebrate May 8th too.

Therefore: thank you Allies what you did for us to free us from Nazi terror !!!! I at least will never forget, but fortunately there are many :-)
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ftldave » Fri May 09, 2014 6:55 pm

From RT: "Victory Day is one of the most important holidays for Russia, as it marks the capitulation of Nazi Germany to the Soviet Union in the Second World War on May 9, 1945. Tanks, fighter jets & unrivalled missile defense systems -- the Victory Day parade will stage a military show in the heart of Moscow to mark the 69 year of WWII Victory.

Sixty-nine warplanes and helicopters, 149 military vehicles and over 11,000 troops featuring in Moscow’s Red Square parade to mark the 69th anniversary of victory over Nazi Germany in World War II."

As usual, the Russian aviation forces close the big parade. Unusual this year was a TU-160 Blackjack bomber accompanied by an IL-78 tanker, simulating air-to-air refueling.

On YouTube:
VICTORY DAY PARADE - MOSCOW - MAY 9, 2014
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Webb » Fri May 09, 2014 9:12 pm

I wasn't even aware that Victory Day was the same as VE Day. VE Day and VJ Day don't have much significance to Americans.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Return to History