When the Third Reich occupied England

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

When the Third Reich occupied England

Postby Webb » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:39 pm

German Occupation of the Channel Islands

Hitler considered the Channel Islands - Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Sark and Herm - a valuable landing stage for the invasion of mainland France, as they sat just 20 miles off the French coast. Winston Churchill, however, thought they held no strategic importance for Britain and decided to de-militarise them and leave them undefended.

The Germans invade

As the German army stormed through France in June 1940, some 30,000 Channel Islanders (one third of the total population) were evacuated. Once the initial panic was over, the rest decided to stay and tough it out, mainly on Jersey and Guernsey.

On 28 June, the Luftwaffe bombed Jersey and Guernsey, unaware that the islands were undefended. They killed 44 people. Two days later, Luftwaffe personnel took control of Guernsey airfield. There they met the chief of police, who informed them that the islands were undefended.

The following day, a detachment of troops arrived on Guernsey and that afternoon the German flag was raised. More arrived later and their attention turned to the other islands.

Jersey surrendered on 1 July and soldiers were swftly stationed. Islanders had to show their compliance by flying white flags over their houses.

Sybil Hathaway, the Dame of Sark, received German officers on 2 July. They assured her she had nothing to fear and the island's garrison of just ten men arrived on 4 July.

Alderney, meanwhile, was almost completely empty, but was garrisoned by a company of troops. Herm, the smallest of the islands, was visited by German soldiers on 25 July, although they did not set up a permanent station there.

Life under Nazi rule

A curfew was imposed between the hours of 11pm and 5am and ID cards had to be carried. The sale of spirits was banned. Later, wirelesses were banned and all British-born Islanders were deported to Germany.

A register of Jewish people was created and all Jewish business had to publicly identify themselves. Some were deported to concentration camps. Cars were requisitioned and the Germans controlled the food grown by farmers and caught by fishermen. Anyone caught trying to escape to Britain was imprisoned or shot - if they didn't drown.

Four concentration camps were built on Alderney - the only ones on British territory. Alderney became the most heavily fortified of the islands, built by slave labour.

Resistance and collaboration

Whilst there was no consolidated resistance movement as there was in France, V for Victory signs were painted around the islands, underground newsletters were written, and guns and ammunition were stolen from German stores. Some Islanders assisted their Jewish neighbours and fed slave labourers. On Jersey, letters sent to the Commandant by informants were intercepted by the Post Office and destroyed. Many who did collaborate were attacked after liberation.

The beginning of the end

The D-Day landings in June 1944 came as both a blessing and a curse. Whilst they marked the beginning of the end for the German occupiers who relied on supply lines from the continent, they also meant that food lines were cut. As supplies dwindled, everyone began to starve. However, after negotiation with the Home Office, the Germans allowed the Red Cross' SS Vega to deliver food, saving many of the Islanders' lives. The Vega continued to bring food parcels even after the British liberated the islands on 9 May 1945.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: When the Third Reich occupied England

Postby G.K. » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:15 am

Interesting read, thanks for posting.

....one detail though: England has not been occupied since 1066. There's been several attempted invasions since but all failed.

Parts of the British Isles are a different story as your original post illustrates.
G.K.
Captain
Captain

Postby Hagar » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:04 am

As GK points out, the Channel Islands are not part of England.

The islands are not part of the United Kingdom or European Union, but rather are possessions of the British Crown with independent administrations. Their inhabitants are British citizens.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18175986

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Webb » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:13 am

1n 1941 Hawaii was a territory of the United States. When it was attacked by foreign forces the president did not hesitate to tell the world that,

"Yesterday, Dec. 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan ...

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, Dec. 7, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese empire. "

That's why everyone wants to bail out of England or the United Kingdom or whatever you call it. It will tax you but it won't protect you.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:39 am

Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:58 am

The Drive to Rome WW-II 1944

reminds me of the Movie "Kellys Hereo's" with Clint Eastwood, Telly Salavas, Donald Sutherland

http://life.time.com/history/world-war-ii-in-color-photos-italian-campaign/?iid=lb-gal-viewagn#1
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby G.K. » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:05 am

....fascinating stuff.

Regarding the Italian campaign, read "Mussolini. His Part in My Downfall" by Spike Milligan if you get a chance, brilliant book. Spike fought in the war and he was also considered a comic genius, perhaps the originator of the alternative comedy genre (you know, Monty Python type style). The Book is a factual account, it's funny and tragic. He also wrote "Hitler. My Part in his Downfall"......another worthy read.
G.K.
Captain
Captain

Postby papituwall » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:50 am

Interesting history, and pictures.

The birthday picture of Hitler with Ferdinand Porsche has reminded me that the chairmans of Wolkswagen AG and Porsche AG are two Porsche's grandsons...
This time the German invasion is silent, the secret weapon is the Euro.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby Bass » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:57 pm

the secret weapon is the Euro.
YES, and the Germans obviously succeded with that after war attack :whistle:
"Just try to be YOU"!............ Kurt 

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Postby papituwall » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:36 pm

This is the Euro Account in Spain, old currency: peseta

Change: 1 euro = 166 pesetas

Before euro: 1 coffee= 100 pesetas
Day after euro: 1 coffee= 1 euro = 166 pesetas, spaniards became a 66% poorer in one day.

That is the reason because the spanish Goverment is unable to leave the euro. They should devaluate 66%, nobody could buy german goods...
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby logjam » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:19 pm

The British pound is already devalued enough that no-one can afford to buy German goods. Trouble is the Banks are willing to loan it to anyone, even if they can't pay it back. :violin:
logjam
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:53 pm

Webb wrote:1n 1941 Hawaii was a territory of the United States. When it was attacked by foreign forces the president did not hesitate to tell the world that,
"Yesterday, Dec. 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan ...
I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, Dec. 7, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese empire. "

That's why everyone wants to bail out of England or the United Kingdom or whatever you call it. It will tax you but it won't protect you.

Actually, the reason wasn't because Japan attacked Hawaii but because the Japanese navy attacked American military bases there including Ford Island, Hickam Field, Bellows Field and Wheeler Field and caused the deaths of 2,386 American armed forces personnel and wounded another 1,139. Eighteen U.S.Navy ships were sunk or run aground to prevent their sinking. 188 U.S.N and U.S.A.A.C. aircraft were also destroyed in the attacks.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:00 pm

Jetranger wrote:reminds me of the Movie "Kellys Hereo's" with Clint Eastwood, Telly Salavas, Donald Sutherland

Every time I think of Sutherland as that Hippy Dippy-like tank commander I crackup!

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby papituwall » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:35 am

logjam wrote:The British pound is already devalued enough that no-one can afford to buy German goods. Trouble is the Banks are willing to loan it to anyone, even if they can't pay it back. :violin:

In short: Yes, but Spain got money from EU and rescued Banks (long history her). Result: No loans available, taxes increased, no consumers.
No need of German goods in my house. Forbidden.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby Jetranger » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:22 am

NAZI GOLD :) :)

Well, see the way I got it Figured, if your gonna Fight, mize well Fight for something worth fighting for ,,,,,,,,,

so,, just turn that thing around and point it - right at that door !

then we'll be on our way and get outta here !

I kinda figured you'd ,,,, see it my way 8-) :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csv1wXOr5tY
Jetranger
Major
Major

Next

Return to History