The Great Cathedral Mystery

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

The Great Cathedral Mystery

Postby Webb » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:13 am

Link

From PBS - The dome that crowns Florence's great cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore -- the Duomo -- is a masterpiece of Renaissance ingenuity and an enduring source of mystery. Still the largest masonry dome on earth, it is taller than the Statue of Liberty and weighs as much as an average cruise ship. Historians and engineers have long debated how its architect, Filippo Brunelleschi, kept the dome perfectly aligned and symmetrical as the sides rose and converged toward the center. More than four million bricks could collapse at any moment -- and we still don't understand how Brunelleschi prevented it. To test the latest theories, a team of U.S. bricklayers will help build an experimental "mini-Duomo" using period tools and techniques.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: The Great Cathedral Mystery

Postby Jetranger » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:36 am

:shifty: :shock: :shifty: :shock: :shifty: :? :shifty: :? :shock: :o :o :o :o

Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby CrashII » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:32 am

Wow what a mystery. An investigation that took less than 2 seconds reveals exactly how they did it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Cathedral#Dome
CrashII
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby expat » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:17 am

CrashII wrote:Wow what a mystery. An investigation that took less than 2 seconds reveals exactly how they did it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Cathedral#Dome

Interesting read Carlo O0

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:45 am

Excellent read, Carlo!

When it comes to building things, there were some really clever buggers around in the olden days!

I admire their various skills!

Stone Mason: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Landauer_I_038_v.jpg

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby CrashII » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:52 am

Fozzer wrote:When it comes to building things, there were some really clever buggers around in the olden days!

If you consider the fact that the Egyptians build a few things that are still standing today while the average 'modern' building (office blocks for example) will only last for 50 or 60 years.
CrashII
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Bass » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:27 am

I see a good idea for Dan Brown in all this :whistle:
"Just try to be YOU"!............ Kurt 

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Return to History