Mikhail Kalashnikov

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

Mikhail Kalashnikov

Postby Webb » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:40 pm

Kalashnikov assault rifle designer dead at 94

MOSCOW -- Mikhail Kalashnikov, whose work as a weapons designer for the Soviet Union is immortalized in the name of the world's most popular firearm, died Monday at the age of 94.

Kalashnikov once aspired to design farm equipment. But even though his most famous invention - the AK-47 assault rifle - sowed havoc instead of crops, he often said he felt personally untroubled by his contribution to bloodshed.

"I sleep well. It's the politicians who are to blame for failing to come to an agreement and resorting to violence," he said in 2007 ...
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: Mikhail Kalashnikov

Postby Fozzer » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:40 pm

I'm always a bit dubious of the invention of weapons designed to very effectively kill and maim people.
Watching the early Hollywood Cowboy films constantly reminds me of the delight that the early settlers took in shooting each other, and anything else that moved, to death...
....which always reminds me that my Great-Grand-Father, Lieutenant Colonel George Vincent Fosbery, designed such a very effective weapon....>>>
The Webley-Fosbery Automatic Revolver.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webley-Fos ... c_Revolver

I never was a lover of Guns of any type.

Paul L. Fosbery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSPIhHFtLX0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va6KHE0jEFc
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby G.K. » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:41 pm

The invention of the weapon in question was not a particularly positive contribution to the human race IMO.
G.K.
Captain
Captain

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:19 pm

I hate to break this to you about the cowboy movies. :cry: :cry: :cry:

They aren't all that accurate. :o

Well except for those gay ones like Broke Back Mountain. That one's totally true. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The real cowboys back then were a sensitive lot, hardly shooting anything that didn't need shootin.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby papituwall » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:41 am

This is general with "bad ítems":

Had not been invented by Khalasnikov, someone else would have invented this weapon.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:07 am

OldAirmail wrote:I hate to break this to you about the cowboy movies. :cry: :cry: :cry:

They aren't all that accurate. :o

Well except for those gay ones like Broke Back Mountain. That one's totally true. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The real cowboys back then were a sensitive lot, hardly shooting anything that didn't need shootin.

....Hmmmmm...!

In my Flight Sim part of the World I'm afraid to notice in the daily news, that the good Folks of Oakland, Richmond, Hayward (East Bay), and Los Angeles are very well versed in the regular use of small arms to settle their various differences... ;) ...!

Over here we mainly wag a disapproving finger, or glare at each other!

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby G.K. » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:06 am

papituwall wrote:This is general with "bad ítems":

Had not been invented by Khalasnikov, someone else would have invented this weapon.

Guns aren't good no matter who invents them.
G.K.
Captain
Captain

Postby wifesaysno » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:03 pm

RIP Kalashnikov

Considering Mikhail designed the AK as a way of protecting his country during the closing days of the 'Great Patriotic War' in defense of the Nazis I feel he should be honored. The man created something with the intention of protecting his homeland.

Ura!

Definitely an engineering icon in history.

Tailwinds,
Adam

Excerpt from the CBS article:
Kalashnikov once aspired to design farm equipment. But even though his most famous invention - the AK-47 assault rifle - sowed havoc instead of crops, he often said he felt personally untroubled by his contribution to bloodshed.

"I sleep well. It's the politicians who are to blame for failing to come to an agreement and resorting to violence," he said in 2007.
wifesaysno
Major
Major

Postby G.K. » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:37 pm

Wahubna,

We must have some things in common? an interest in FSX maybe. Sleeping dogs and all that....Hope you have a happy Christmas.
G.K.
Captain
Captain

Return to History