The general who told Hitler to screw himself

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

The general who told Hitler to screw himself

Postby Webb » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:37 pm

The German General Who Told Hitler to Go Screw Himself

General von Lettow-Vorbeck was never defeated in battle, and only surrendered after learning about the Armistice in November 1918 ...

Returning to Germany as a national hero, von Lettow-Vorbeck became active in politics and tried to establish a conservative opposition to the Nazis. He was able to bring some of his black officers with him to serve in the German Freikorps. When Hitler offered him the ambassadorship to the Court of St. James’s in 1935, he “told Hitler to go fuck himself.” Although repeatedly harassed by the Nazis, he survived their regime due to his popularity as a genuine hero of the old school.

The man who threatened to kill Stalin.

Josip Broz Tito (Prime Minister of Yugoslavia)

Stalin attempted, unsuccessfully, to assassinate Tito on several occasions. In a correspondence between the two leaders, Tito openly wrote:

Stop sending people to kill me. We've already captured five of them, one of them with a bomb and another with a rifle (...) If you don't stop sending killers, I'll send one to Moscow, and I won't have to send a second.

—Josip Broz Tito
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Return to History