Evacuate the children, kill the cat

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

Evacuate the children, kill the cat

Postby Webb » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:50 pm

Other victims of war.

The little-told story of the massive WWII pet cull

At the beginning of World War II, a government pamphlet led to a massive cull of British pets. As many as 750,000 British pets were killed in just one week. This little-discussed moment of panic is explored in a new book.

The cull came as the result of a public information campaign that caused an extraordinary reaction among anxious Britons.

In the summer of 1939 just before the outbreak of war, the National Air Raid Precautions Animals Committee (NARPAC) was formed. They drafted a notice - Advice to Animal Owners.

The pamphlet said: "If at all possible, send or take your household animals into the country in advance of an emergency." It concluded: "If you cannot place them in the care of neighbours, it really is kindest to have them destroyed." ...
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: Evacuate the children, kill the cat

Postby Fozzer » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:22 am

I wish my neighbours would take that advice as their mangy Moggies, and yapping Dogs, crap on my garden lawns... ;) ...!

Paul.... :lol: ...1

We got shipped off to the countryside in 1939 to escape from the Hun Bombing in London!
(I don't remember any Cats coming with us, though!)... 8-) ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:28 am

C'est la guerre. Much worse things happen in wartime.

Meanwhile, this is happening in 2013. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10142829/Animals-abandoned-in-bins-during-summer-holidays.html
Animals abandoned in bins during summer holidays

Pets have been found dumped in bins, boxes and even a cemetery in the run-up to the summer holidays as owners choose to abandon them rather than pay for their care while they are away, a charity has said.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:42 am

Fozzer wrote:I wish my neighbours would take that advice as their mangy Moggies, and yapping Dogs, crap on my garden lawns... ;) ...!

Paul.... :lol: ...1

We got shipped off to the countryside in 1939 to escape from the Hun Bombing in London!
(I don't remember any Cats coming with us, though!)... 8-) ...!

A very long time ago I worked rotating shifts. Two weeks days, two weeks evenings, and two weeks of midnight shifts.

A new renter moved in next to me with 2 barking dogs.

As you might imagine, during the day while I slept and the neighbor was away working, his dogs would bark constantly as people walked or drove by.

Did you know that they make a whistle that dogs can hear, BUT PEOPLE CAN'T?

I don't know what happened over there, but after 3 weeks of late night whistling I never heard the dogs again. :D
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby expat » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:42 am

Hagar wrote:C'est la guerre. Much worse things happen in wartime.

Meanwhile, this is happening in 2013. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10142829/Animals-abandoned-in-bins-during-summer-holidays.html
Animals abandoned in bins during summer holidays

Pets have been found dumped in bins, boxes and even a cemetery in the run-up to the summer holidays as owners choose to abandon them rather than pay for their care while they are away, a charity has said.

This does not surprise me at all. After all we live in a throw away I'm not responsible society....... :roll:

Matt
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to History