We did it!

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

We did it!

Postby Webb » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:09 am

"First, I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the Earth. No single space project in this period will be more impressive to mankind, or more important for the long-range exploration of space; and none will be more difficult or expensive to accomplish."

"There is no strife, no prejudice, no national conflict in outer space as yet. Its hazards are hostile to us all. Its conquest deserves the best of all mankind, and its opportunity for peaceful cooperation many never come again. But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too. "

Apollo 11 - July 16, 1969

The United States has landed 12 men on the Moon in 6 successful lunar missions and returned them safely to the Earth. Three gave their lives during testing. None were lost in flight.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: We did it!

Postby Hawkeye07 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:09 am

This is for everyone to respond to....Where were you on July 20-21, 1969?

(The mission launched on July 16,1969 and the actual lunar landing was on the 20th at 2018 UTC. Neil Armstrong first stepped on the lunar surface at 0256 UTC on July 21st)

Personally I was in U.S.Navy Boot Camp at Great Lakes Ill. The televised "Moon Walk"was the only TV we got to watch during that 12 weeks.

My being there was sort of a cruel trick. My mother said she was sending me to camp for the summer.
It wasn't till I got there that I realized it was BOOT CAMP! :roll:

HAWK

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby TigerAl » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:10 am

I was 13 and, like many kids, had followed the Space Programme for what seemed like ages. They were exciting times and the future seemed full of endless possibilities.

I vividly remember following the launch and the flight to the Moon but, still having to go to school the next day, I was in bed early-ish. My Dad woke me up so I could come downstairs to watch the approach and landing, and my Mum, Dad and I sat with bated breath, and a little bit of awe, watching the descent, touchdown and that First Step. If I close my eyes I can still see us sitting round the TV and my Dad talking about how this was an absolutely unique milestone in human history and endeavour and just simply could not be missed.

I recall we were decorating the hall a few days later and before the wallpaper went on, I painted '21st July 1969 First Moon Landing' on the wall. A poignant reminder every time we decorated after that - it's still there now.

Fond memories.

Alex.
TigerAl
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jetranger » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:46 am

I was at my Baby Sitters up the street back on July 16th 1969 in the living room, watching That Girl on TV when it was interrupted by CBS News Walter Cronkite to bring us the thing called the Moon Landing !!!

Also,, speaking of the 16th ,,, of months - do any of you know what happens Next month on the 16th ?????

The Winner will receive absolutely Nothing if they guess the right answer !
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:41 pm

Being a kid I was glued to the TV watching those horrible grainy pictures - um, that sort of looks like a person if I squint.

August 16, 1954 - First publication of Sports Illustrated.

or

August 16, 1960 - Joseph Kittinger jumped put of a balloon at over 100,000 feet, a record that stood until Felix Baumgartner jumped from 127,852 feet last year. Kittinger was Baumgarther's CapCom.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:15 pm

When they started showing the same scenes over again, I went out and looked up at the moon.

There were almost NO cars on the road.

I always feel sad that we once reached for the stars, and then sank back into the sullen darkness.

HAWK, That's what you get for believing your mother when she told you that YOU had to sign the permission slip.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:58 pm

In "From the Earth to the Moon" NASA administrator James Webb has just heard Kennedy's 1961 speech.

"He sure didn't waste any time.

If we had gotten Shepard into space before Gagarian it'd be over. We'd have beaten them and that would have been that. We wouldn't be talking about going to the Moon for another 20 years ...

Before we get anywhere near the Moon we'll need to put thousands of man hours in space. So far we've got 15 minutes and 22 seconds ...

Can we do this?"

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:06 pm

"@ WEBB" - Heres a Clue tho....

August 16th 1977

Remember the Ed Sullivan Show back in the 1950's.

2nd Clue - Convair 880

3rd Clue - at the White House in the 70's

and now for the wonder guesses ??
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Not a fan but I believe that Elvis Presley has something to do with that date.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:31 pm

Correcto' Mundo' Mr. Webb of Florida !!!

Your the Grand Prize Winner of absolutely nothing !

Ehh, whenever I get down to Florida I'll buy ya a Beer !!!! :dance:
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:17 pm

Five F-1 rocket engines have just been recovered from the ocean floor. One has definitely been identified as belonging to Apollo 11.

Rocket Engine Pulled From the Ocean Definitely Belonged to Apollo 11

On the eve of the 44th anniversary of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walking on the moon, a piece of their historic legacy has been ID’ed here on Earth. Billionaire amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos has confirmed that the rocket engines he picked up from the ocean floor five months ago belonged to Apollo 11.

More than a year ago, Bezos announced a mission to try and recover the mighty F-1 engines, which each delivered 1.5 million pounds of thrust to the Saturn V rocket that carried men to the lunar surface. After delivering the Apollo astronauts to space, the engines crashed back to Earth and lay dormant on the ocean floor for more than 40 years, reaching a serious state of decay. After trawling the Atlantic, Bezos’ team announced that they had recovered the artifacts and returned them to land for preservation and eventual display at a museum ...

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:35 pm

The first thing Buzz Aldrin did on the Moon.

(This isn't Buzz Aldrin. It is actor Bryan Cranston in HBO's "From the Earth to the Moon")

YouTube Communion on the Moon

This used to be a hellavu good country.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:24 am

Apollo 11 was the first mission to land on the moon but it wasn't the first to go to the moon.

Apollo 8: Go for TLI (NASA video)

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby jphespe » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:19 pm

I remember it well, I was in Los Angeles and watched the landing live. However, the moment became even more clear about two weeks after Neil Armstrong returned from quarantine following the flight. I was working for a small car rental company in Los Angeles and had the opportunity to pick up Neil Armstrong at the Air Force hanger at LAX. The first man on the moon all MINE for about 15 minutes. All the while I was driving to pick him up I pondered just what question I could ask him that wouldn't sound dumb and that, hopefully, that he had not been asked before. I explained this to him when I met him and then asked the following question-WHAT IN THE WORLD WAS IT LIKE? His reply, "Undescribable" to whit I replied, I deserved that. However, he went on to say "it really is. It is stark but also very beautiful in its own way". When I returned him to my the office to pick up his car I asked him if he would be so kind as to sign the back of one of my business cards as NO ONE was going to believe I had actually met him. I still have that 44 year old business card and it one of my prized treasures. By the way, NASA made exactly the right choice for selecting him as the first man to step on the moon. He was one of the most modest and sincere people I have ever met and truly a PR man's dream. So sad that he passed but he left more than a "lunar footprint" in his path.
jphespe
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Steve M » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:32 pm

Webb wrote:The first thing Buzz Aldrin did on the Moon.

(This isn't Buzz Aldrin. It is actor Bryan Cranston in HBO's "From the Earth to the Moon")

YouTube Communion on the Moon

This used to be a hellavu good country.

Aldrins mothers maiden name was Marion Moon, oddly enough.

http://buzzaldrin.com/the-man/biography/
Steve M
Major
Major

Next

Return to History