We did it!

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

Re: We did it!

Postby Webb » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:26 pm

Wikipedia

If Buzz Aldrin was the Lunar Module pilot why did Neil Armstrong fly it?
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:13 pm

This is the first photograph of the Earth taken by a human from another celestial body.

It was taken by LM Pilot William Anders (who also never flew an LM) on December 24, 1968.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby ViperPilot » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:53 am

Webb wrote:Wikipedia

If Buzz Aldrin was the Lunar Module pilot why did Neil Armstrong fly it?

Sort of like PIC and PNF - the LMP was there as a backup for the CDR. As I recall, the only LMP who got to pilot the LEM
on station was Alan Bean during Apollo 12; CDR Pete Conrad let Bean pilot the Ascent Module on the far side of the Moon, out of contact with Houston and on the way to rendezvous with the Command Module.

ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Webb » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:37 pm

PIC, PNF, CDR. Now I'm completely lost.

Lunar Module Pilot. Shouldn't that be the guy who is specially trained to pilot the lunar module?

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby MASABI TROOPER » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:19 pm

I was in the States in Yucaipa California in a summer camp at that day when men landed on the moon for the first time....................it was an extreemly feeling to see that in TV..................
Bruno (Trooper)
MASABI TROOPER
Captain
Captain

Postby ViperPilot » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:17 pm

Webb wrote:PIC, PNF, CDR. Now I'm completely lost.

Lunar Module Pilot. Shouldn't that be the guy who is specially trained to pilot the lunar module?

PIC - Pilot in Command

PNF - Pilot Not Flying

CDR - Commander

You would think the Lunar Module Pilot's job was solely to fly the Lunar Module... if he did that, what would the Commander's role be during Descent and Landing? NASA gave that a lot of thought...

... and decided that the Commander would pilot the Lunar Module, and the Lunar Module Pilot would become his backup.

The LMP was sort of the 'handyman' of the crew; the rest of the mission, he was responsible for the Electrical and Environmental Systems on the Command/Service Module, while the Command Module Pilot 'flew' the CSM. The Commander? Well, he... commanded the mission.

That training came in handy; when lightning struck the Apollo 12 spacecraft 30 seconds after Liftoff and essentially short circuited the spacecraft, Al Bean was the only one who understood the 'SCE to AUX' call from Houston, and was able to locate the switch that reset the telemetry downlink from the spacecraft, allowing Houston to get good data which prevented a Mission Abort.

ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Webb » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:50 pm

That sounds like NASA.

I wouldn't expect the LMPs job to be solely piloting the LM but I would expect him to be better trained for it than the mission commander.

I wouldn't expect a Navy commander to pilot a Higgins boat to a beach at Normandy.

In another plug for "From the Earth to the Moon" (HBO), it portrays this little known Apollo 12 incident well.

Alan Bean walked on the Moon 5 days later.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby PhantomTweak » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:11 pm

When Apollo Mission Astronaut Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, he not only gave his famous "One small step for man; one giant leap for mankind" statement, but followed it by several remarks, including the usual COM traffic between him, the other astronauts, and Mission Control. Before he re-entered the lander, he made the enigmatic remark "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky."

Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, [they found] there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs.

Over the years, many people have questioned him as to what the "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky" statement meant. On July 5, in Tampa Bay, FL, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26- year-old question to Armstrong. He finally responded. It seems that Mr. Gorsky had died and so Armstrong felt he could answer the question. When he was a kid, Neil was playing baseball with his brother in the backyard. His brother hit a fly ball which landed in front of his neighbors' bedroom window. The neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky. As he leaned down to pick up the ball, he heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky, "Oral sex? Oral sex you want? You'll get oral sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/quotes/mrgorsky.a ... t1oRbYJ.99
:clap: :dance: :lol: :lol: :dance:

Fake or not, seems like something Armstrong might say! :D

A REAL quote I know for certain is real was just before they lit the candle on the first Mercury orbital attempt, the astronaut was heard to mutter a "prayer" that became a standard for the entire space program: "Please, Lord, don't let me f*&^ this up!" :lol:

I've used it myself on various solo's I've done! :D Seems to work pretty well!! :pray: :dance: :clap:

Have a fantastic day all

Pat~
Have fun, fly high, far, and free!
Pat
2S7, Chiloquin OR Image
PhantomTweak
Captain
Captain

Postby Cannon Gray » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:15 am

That landing was important not only for the space era exploration but for regular life. For example, water purification technology aboard Apollo is today used to remove viruses, bacteria, and vegetation from water. Besides, NASA has developed new fireproof fabrics that are widely used on Earth today. Implantable defibrillators - devices for people with abnormal heart rhythms - were born out of NASA's progress in miniaturizing microcircuits and even more.
Cannon Gray
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby TommyJo » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:40 am

PhantomTweak wrote:
When Apollo Mission Astronaut Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, he not only gave his famous "One small step for man; one giant leap for mankind" statement, but followed it by several remarks, including the usual COM traffic between him, the other astronauts, and Mission Control. Before he re-entered the lander, he made the enigmatic remark "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky."

Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, [they found] there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs.

Over the years, many people have questioned him as to what the "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky" statement meant. On July 5, in Tampa Bay, FL, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26- year-old question to Armstrong. He finally responded. It seems that Mr. Gorsky had died and so Armstrong felt he could answer the question. When he was a kid, Neil was playing baseball with his brother in the backyard. His brother hit a fly ball which landed in front of his neighbors' bedroom window. The neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky. As he leaned down to pick up the ball, he heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky, "Oral sex? Oral sex you want? You'll get oral sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/quotes/mrgorsky.a ... t1oRbYJ.99
:clap: :dance: :lol: :lol: :dance:

Fake or not, seems like something Armstrong might say! :D

A REAL quote I know for certain is real was just before they lit the candle on the first Mercury orbital attempt, the astronaut was heard to mutter a "prayer" that became a standard for the entire space program: "Please, Lord, don't let me f*&^ this up!" :lol:

I've used it myself on various solo's I've done! :D Seems to work pretty well!! :pray: :dance: :clap:

Have a fantastic day all

Pat~

This is a very funny version)
It looks like there is a revelatory article under the link. That this is a fake. But, God, what a funny and not so ill-conceived fake. That I really want to believe in that
TommyJo
Ground hog
Ground hog

Previous

Return to History