The passing of another bit of history

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

The passing of another bit of history

Postby ozzy72 » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:33 am

The last surviving first world war soldier to be awarded a bravery medal has died two weeks before his 105th birthday. James Lovell, of Bristol, was awarded the Military Medal for shielding an officer at the Somme in March 1918.
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The passing of another bit of history

Postby Hagar » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:10 am

Always sad to see the end of an era. At least this brave old gentleman had a long life. I hope it was a happy one. Queen Victoria was still on the throne when he was born. Think of the things he saw & experienced during his lifetime. I wouldn't mind betting he considered himself one of the lucky ones.

PS. He already came back from the dead once. ;) http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3245787.stm

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:54 am

I was saddened to hear that the last survivor from the Battle of Jutland died late last year. We are definately running out of WWI veterens. :(
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby FLYING_TRUCKER » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:25 am

I would hope some of his memories were written down.

We have no World War One Veterans left and a handful from World War Two at our Legion.

When you lose one you lose a bit of History.

Cheers...Happy Landings....Doug
FLYING_TRUCKER

Postby Hagar » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:51 am

I would hope some of his memories were written down.

I hope so too.
The one thing that strikes me whenever I talk to or read about any WWI or WWII veteran is that they're all quite specific on one point. Here's an extract from my link above.
He signed up in 1915, lying about his age, to enter the 8th Royal Berkshire Regiment and join his two older brothers in battle.

"I lost a lot of friends. It was a massive waste of lives, a slaughter that should never have happened," he said.

Mr Lovell said when the war ended only 35 of his regiment had survived.

It's a pity our leaders are not forced to talk to these people before they all pass away. I don't have much confidence but maybe they will eventually learn something from their experiences. ::)

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:06 pm

It's a pity our leaders are not forced to talk to these people

So true Hagar, that is why I actually liked Paddy Ashdown, at least he'd really been there and done it. Royal Marines, SBS. Served in Kuwait, and Malaysia. Good man, pity about the pants-down episode :D
Alas our leaders these days all seem to be cowards who send better men than them to die :(
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Soon

Postby Scorpiоn » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:23 pm

It's instances like these that make me want to volunteer at veteran retirement homes.  So much can be learned from these men, and they're slowly fading away. :'(
The Devil's Advocate.
Scorpiоn
Major
Major

Re: Soon

Postby Smoke2much » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:30 am

[quote]It's instances like these that make me want to volunteer at veteran retirement homes.
Who switched the lights off?
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Postby FLYING_TRUCKER » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:35 pm

As a volunteer at the ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE MEMORIAL MUSEUM  I find it very REWARDING AND EDUCATIONAL to listen to some of the older Members and Volunteers.
No spring chicken myself one short of sixty it is GREAT to have spoken with some of the finest in the WORLD.
I have met Canada's Native Indian fighter pilot who flew Spitfires in the Pacific Theater against the Japanese.
I have worked with two pilots who flew the Worlds first operational jet transport...two years prior to any other nation having a jet transport in service.  WE WERE TRULY CAPTAINS OF THE CLOUDS!!!!
I really try not to miss my volunteer shift  as I learn something new and interesting when someone walks through the door.
I hear all to often...Oh I though I would drop in and leave this for the museum....if you want it...No my kids wouldn't be interested in the war and that stuff.
Somtimes it's like watching History disappear before your eyes.
I have yet to see someone come forward with the answer.

Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug :)
FLYING_TRUCKER

Return to History