A Day in History

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

A Day in History

Postby Felix/FFDS » Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:15 pm

History Channel has started a new series - basically they take a day that shook the world and review the important event of that day.

Today, I saw a doco on the Hiroshima bomb, and on the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand, that was the "spark" that started WW1.

A few things were notable...

The plotters had first tried lobbying a fused bomb, which bounced off and exploded late.,  While the car carrying the Duke sped off in front of other plotters, including Gavrilo Princip, they did nothing, missing an opportunity.

The Archduke went off to his event, and later was driving to the hospital to see the wounded.

Princip, after meeting with the plotters,  walked off to get a sandwich, and as he came out, the Archduke's car suddenly appeared, THE DRIVER HAVING MADE A WRONG TURN!!!  This time, Princip fired two shots, hitting both the Archduke and his wife, Sophia.

Fate gave him a second chance.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A Day in History

Postby BFMF » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:34 am

It's sad how WW1 has become forgotten like it has. The history textbooks i used hardly mentioned it, but had quite a bit of info on WW2.

Several years ago, I had to go get a couple books from the library to even find out how WW1 started. Sad really :-/
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:37 am

Several years ago, I had to go get a couple books from the library to even find out how WW1 started. Sad really :-/

Maybe when you have a few hours to spare you can explain it to to me. I've been trying to figure out how a seemingly insignificant event was responsible for the "War To End All Wars" for years. I watched a doco recently, possibly the one Felix mentioned, but unfortunately missed the part explaining the background. I know the politics of the area was complex & at the time Austria was far more important than it is now.

[quote]Princip, after meeting with the plotters,
Last edited by Hagar on Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Felix/FFDS » Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:57 am

Maybe when you have a few hours to spare you can explain it to to me. I've been trying to figure out how a seemingly insignificant event was responsible for the "War To End All Wars" for years. I watched a doco recently, possibly the one Felix mentioned, but unfortunately missed the part explaining the background. I know the politics of the area was complex & at the time Austria was far more important than it is now..

Remember that Bosnia was within the Austro-Hungarian Empire, whereas Serbia was not.  True or not, Austria-Hungary believed that Serbia was promoting that the Bosnian Serbs break away from the Empire (grey area, yes there were Serbs promoting that, but was that "official" Serbian policy?).

When the assassination occurs, Austria finds the "smoking gun" they were looking for when one of the plotters breaks down and spills the beans - the weapons he brought in came from Serbia "The Black Hand" headed by a Serbian colonel.  (Note that the other plotters maintained their silence despite "interrogation").

Austria made unreasonable demands upon Serbia, which reluctantly, were granted.  Despite that, Austria mobilized and attacked Serbia.

Due to the alliances of the period .....

Serbia had an alliance with Russia, so Russia declares war on Austria

Austria had an alliance with Germany, so Germany declares war on Russia.

Russia had an alliance with Britain and France, so Britan and France mobilize.

Germany attacks through Belgium (with whom Britain has a treaty to protect Belgian neutrality),  Britan delivers an ultimatum to Germany - remove your forces from Belgium or else...

and the or else came.

While that's the "chain of events" it appears that there was a powder keg ready to explode.

Prussia (yes I choose Prussia rather than Germany) was flexing its Imperial Wings, while Britain, then the world's naval superpower, couldn't really let Germany get ahead.  (At the time, there was a naval arms race, the Dreadnaught being the first of the modern battleships).  The European politics from the mid-1800s on was a "fear of Prussia" and containment of the Prussian threat.  Britain "basically" wanted to stay apart from the European politics, and did not get into any of the alliances being formed and reformed.  For a time, Britain was as concerned about France as it was about Prussia, but (Hagar, correct my facts) once the French agreed to give up their Egyptian claims, that paved the way forthe British and French to form an alliance/cooperation.  Note that until then, the British had also been negotiating witht he Prussians.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Hagar » Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:34 pm

Thanks Felix. I'm not in a position to correct your facts. ;)
The politics of the time seem even more convoluted than they are now. I suggested that Victoria was the greatest monarch in another thread. It seems tragic that her descendants virtually destroyed all she had achieved during her long reign. How is it possible that they could allow this to happen?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/state/monarchs_leaders/cousins_at_war_01.shtml
During World War One there were no less than seven of the old Queen's direct descendants, and two more of her Coburg relations, on European thrones. Before it happened, can anyone blame this family of kings, or their subjects, for assuming that a war between these crowned cousins was all but impossible?

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to History