Berwick-Upon-Tweed

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

Berwick-Upon-Tweed

Postby Smoke2much » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:23 am

Berwick-Upon-Tweed is a small town in Northern England or Southern Scotland depending on your perspective.  It has been continuously fought over for over one thousand years and due to this confusion no-one has ever been 100% sure which country the town belongs to.

During the 1850's confusion was such that the declaration of war which started the Crimean war was signed in the name of "England, Scotland, Ireland and Berwick-Upon-Tweed".  A few years later at the end of the war it had been decided that Berwick was in England and the peace treaty left Berwick out.

100 years later during a visit to Britain Kruschev signed a document that finally ended the Crimean war, accepting peace between the people of Berwick-upon-Tweed and the Soviet Empire.....
Who switched the lights off?
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Re: Berwick-Upon-Tweed

Postby Hagar » Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:32 am

Very interesting Will. I didn't actually know this but some very strange things have happened over the centuries. Cornwall is not regarded by the locals as being part of England but a separate country. This is apparently no longer true. http://www.brycchancarey.com/places/cornwall/
Cornwall is an odd place to have been brought up in. Most people in the United Kingdom see it as a holiday destination while the Cornish see it as a country in its own right, only incidentally connected with England. In fact, Cornwall has been part of England since the ninth century but until the sixteenth century most people spoke Cornish - properly Kernewek- a Celtic language very similar to Welsh.

Due to recent boundary changes I'm never sure where many places are any more. For example: for 100s of years the town of Bournemouth was in Hampshire. A short time ago the government decided, for what ever purpose, to redraw the boundary & make it part of Dorset instead.

During the time I worked at Gatwick Airport it was part of Crawley (West Sussex) & then Horley (Surrey). I believe it is now back in Sussex again. I assume this would affect these town's finanances considerably as the rates on the airport must bring in a vast amount in revenue. However, the airport itself has in fact not moved & it remains where it always was. ::)

These people are still at it as I believe that some places will no longer officially exist after the planned restructuring of some constituencies. These have worked fine as they are for 100s of years. I wish the politicians would make their minds up & stop messing ordinary people around to suit their devious plans. >:(
Last edited by Hagar on Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Smoke2much » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:22 am

Hear Bleedin' Hear ;D
Who switched the lights off?
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Postby Felix/FFDS » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:14 am

Note for Americans:
Last edited by Felix/FFDS on Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Hagar » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:45 am

[quote]Note for Americans:
Last edited by Hagar on Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:42 pm

Very interesting Will. I didn't actually know this but some very strange things have happened over the centuries. Cornwall is not regarded by the locals as being part of England but a separate country. This is apparently no longer true. http://www.brycchancarey.com/places/cornwall/

Well, only the fanatics want Cornwall to be its own country. And I believe that 48 hours with a JCB and we can connect the Tamar to the Atlantic and seperate us from the mainland. ;D

But seriously, we have a flag, a language, a rugby team etc. What more do you need? ;D ;D ;D

But it was once pointed out to me that when asked where we come from we never say "England" instead we reply "Cornwall" and we assume that everyone knows it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Pastys. One of the best foods in the world! ;D

CORNWALL FOREVER!!!

;)
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:26 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Pastys. One of the best foods in the world! ;D

Should that be Pasties? I was never certain. :P

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:10 pm

Should that be Pasties? I was never certain. :P

No one knows. No use asking a Cornishman though. Too pissed and ill educated to care. ;D
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Return to History