WWII Code Names

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

WWII Code Names

Postby Hagar » Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:45 pm

Well. Thanks to Pete we now have our new forum. :D
As I suggested the apparent solution I thought maybe I would post the first topic.

I've noticed that some code names for WWII top secret projects have a clue in the name itself to what they actually do. Now, asssuming that the idea of the code name is intended to fool the enemy I find this a little strange. I can only suppose that intellectuals think in a different way to us mere mortals. To be honest I know they do. Or maybe they're playing little games with each other. I've been re-reading "Most Secret War" by Professor R.V Jones & some old friends from his university days found themselves on opposite sides when war was declared.

I'll give you 2 examples. Maybe others can add more.

Knickebein. The code name for German radio navigation beams roughly translates to Crooked Leg. This actually gives a good idea to a radio expert on how the system works.

Freya (Freya-Meldung). German short range radar. In Norse mythology Freya was the Nordic Venus. She had a necklace, her most prized possession, which was guarded by Heimdall, the watchman of the gods, who could see 100 miles both by day & night. An accurate description of a short range chain radar system. Not only that but even before war had been declared a mystery tower had been reported to British Intelligence, situated at the Brocken - which is the special abode of the mythological Freya.

I find this extremely interesting. Anyone know any more like it? ;)
Last edited by Hagar on Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Re: WWII Code Names

Postby HawkerTempest5 » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:03 pm

Well that's something else I didn't know! Interesting stuff Hagar old pal.
Flying Legends
HawkerTempest5
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:34 pm

I've been reading the Mitrokhin Archives, and the KGB codenames tended to be blindingly obvious. I'll have to have a think about other ones for a bit.

Ozzy :)
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:04 pm

I understand that the code name for the two midget submarines that were instructed to lie off normandy to guide the landing craft into the beaches had the code name of "Gambit". Meaning the opening move in a game of chess where the player sacrafices a pawn for the greater good.
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby SilverFox441 » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:56 pm

Window.

The British name for what we now call chaff...it was designed to provide a window through radar so as to avoid all those nasty fighters. :)
Steve (Silver Fox) Daly
SilverFox441
Major
Major

Postby Smoke2much » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:12 am

Overlord - sorting out who exactly was in charge in Western Europe.

Neptune - The Naval bit of above
Who switched the lights off?
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:56 am

Window & Overlord might have some general reference to what they were but I don't think they would mean much to an enemy. I like the more obscure code names. The significance of Freya in particular would only be apparent to someone with a good knowledge of classical literature. Even then, the real importance would only become clear to someone from the same background as the person who thought of the name in the first place. ie. An electronics expert well versed in the classics. There can't have been too many of them around in WWII.
This is what I find so fascinating. ;)

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby flyboy 28 » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:30 am

First off, I'd like to say "thanks" to pete for the new forum. Thanks!  ;D It's a good idea, IMHO...::)

Anyways, back to "buisness". The Naxos prototype was a highly sensitive radar detector that allowed German U-Boats during WWII regain control of the Atlantic. It would've allowed the German U-Boats to slip right passed the Allied radar ships, and wreak havoc on the Atlantic fleets.
flyboy 28
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:49 am

Maybe I can extend this topic a little by wondering how code names were allocated. It seems obvious to me that ideally the code name would have no relationship at all to whatever it referred to, yet this often was not the case. The British system, if you can call it that, was haphazard to say the least. It seems that someone, perhaps the inventors themselves, thought up a name & providing nobody objected & it hadn't been previously allocated they used it. Knowing how intellectuals think this might not have been such a good idea. The meaning might not be obvious to a normal person but could well give important clues to their fellow intellectuals working in intelligence for the enemy. ::)

I'm sure I once knew why 2 RAF navigation aids were named GEE & OBOE but I forget now. ???
My favourite story is the origin of another one named H2S. This is the chemical formula for hydrogen sulphide which, as any schoolboy knows, smells strongly of bad eggs. Apparently they were discussing a suitable name for this new invention at a top secret meeting. Prof F Lindeman, Winston Churchill's senior scientific adviser well known for his narrow minded views & an abrupt manner, said "The idea stinks. Call it H2S."
Now that's what I call the perfect code name. Nobody could possibly guess or deduce what it referred to.
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Professor Brensec » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:52 am

Of course, 'LION', the German term was used for the 'supposed' (although I doubt real), invasion of England. As Hagar said, hardly a 'red herring'!!  ;D ;)

Although I don't see anything in 'barbarossa'. Is there something I'm unaware of?  ???

Yellow, for invasion of France??? Again, i don't see anything, but..................maybe I'm just blind??  lol  ;D ;)
http://www.ra.online-plus.biz

I cried because I had no shoes - until I saw a man who had no feet.
Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:03 am

Hi Brensec. I've been waiting for you to show up. ;D

[quote]Of course, 'LION', the German term was used for the 'supposed' (although I doubt real), invasion of England. As Hagar said, hardly a 'red herring'!!
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Professor Brensec » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:25 pm

Hi Brensec. I've been waiting for you to show up. ;D

This was actually called 'Seelowe' or Sea Lion. I don't think it was ever intended to be secret, in fact quite the opposite. It was always more of a propaganda exercise than a serious invasion plan. IMHO

PS. In that it was extremely successful. The threat of invasion was believed imminent at even the highest levels of the British government throughout 1940.

Sorry, Hagar. A slip on my part. i knew it was perfectly obvious (i.e. Sea Lion as in invasion of England from the Sea!!!  Der!! ;D ;))

As I said. I'm perfectly sure it was a ruse to frighten the English into suing for peace. Churchill just wasn't reading the same script!!  ;D
Although I think there were more than a few other 'British' who would have more than just entertained the idea.

I know that the Germans didn't have the landing craft they would have needed. Most of those they had were converted Rhine and Seine River barges. Hardly suitable for a Channel crossing!!
Apparently half of them didn't even have engines in them. They were purely for show!!  ;D ;)

Nope. Definitely an empty threat. That may well have worked!  ;)
http://www.ra.online-plus.biz

I cried because I had no shoes - until I saw a man who had no feet.
Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:41 pm

[quote]As I said. I'm perfectly sure it was a ruse to frighten the English into suing for peace. Churchill just wasn't reading the same script!!
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Air-Geko » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:09 pm

Re: the radio "fight them on the beaches speech" ... I seem to recall it revealed in the past year or so that it wasn't actually delivered by Sir Winston himself, but by an actor who often did "voice double" work for the P.M. when he wasn't available.   Anyone else remember hearing this on NPR?

Air-Geko
Air-Geko
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Felix/FFDS » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:33 pm

[quote]Re: the radio "fight them on the beaches speech" ... I seem to recall it revealed in the past year or so that it wasn't actually delivered by Sir Winston himself, but by an actor who often did "voice double" work for the P.M. when he wasn't available.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to History