WWII Code Names

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

Re: WWII Code Names

Postby Professor Brensec » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:18 pm

Imagine the task of keeping the D-Day landings a secret. It would have been impossible to ensure 'absolute' security with the millions of troops stationed in Britain and all the construction and planes and equipment. the blokes responsible for the 'Pattons Dummy Army' with false radio traffic and all.  :o :o

I think they did a magnificent job at keeping the Germans, and even the Allied men guessing!!  8)

Normally, in such a huge operation, it's standard practice not so much to 'blackout' all information but rather to control certain peices of 'misinformation' and to plant false leads etc. This way, at least, if the enemy does get lucky enough to stumble onto something, they won't know if it's genuine or not.  ??? ::)

That was the problem with making the "Man with no Name" (Major Martin, who was really an unfortunate vagrant who drowned in the Thames)  plan a success. Convincing the Germans that the information was genuine!  ;D ;)
http://www.ra.online-plus.biz

I cried because I had no shoes - until I saw a man who had no feet.
Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:39 am

[quote]
That was the problem with making the "Man with no Name" (Major Martin, who was really an unfortunate vagrant who drowned in the Thames)
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Professor Brensec » Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:46 pm

;)I don't know mate. It's all gone a bit fuzzy now, actually. I saw the History channel Doco, but I may be confused with the old movie, with Clifton Webb as the Officer who came up with the scheme.  ;D

I know the bloke in the movie was a vagrant. I'm sure he'd drowned because the post mortem that the Germans would surely do, would have to reveal this. Anything out of the ordinary for an Army officer who was supposed to have been in a plane crash over water, would have blown the whole thing.  ;)

Anyway, whatever, it was a brilliant little peice of trickery!  ;D

Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby Smoke2much » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:34 am

I saw the same doco as woody.  It was believed for many years that the body of a vagrant was used and I think that was the plan but they were suddenly "gifted" with tons of freshly drowned bodies and the plan changed.

And wasn't it all about "Husky" and not "Overlord"?

Will
Who switched the lights off?
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Postby Professor Brensec » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:36 am

[quote]I saw the same doco as woody.
Last edited by Professor Brensec on Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Previous

Return to History