Royal Aircraft Factory

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

Royal Aircraft Factory

Postby FLYING_TRUCKER » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:10 pm

Would any of you have a link to the Royal Aircraft Factory?

I have done several searches and came up with some aircraft like the SE5 and SE5A which I am very interested in as I had relatives who flew them during World War One.

I would like to find a link about the company itself, if it participated in the building of aircraft in World War Two or if it merged with another company.  

I was wondering if there was a connection between Avro and the Royal Aircraft Factory?

Any information you have will be much appreciated.

Cheers...Happy Landings....Doug :)
FLYING_TRUCKER

Re: Royal Aircraft Factory

Postby Hagar » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:50 am

Interesting question Doug. I'll see what I can find out. As I understand it, the Royal Aircraft Factory was a government department mainly based at Farnborough. It was originally named the HM Balloon Factory. Many later well-known aircraft designers/manufacturers worked there including Geoffrey De Havilland. I believe his first design was the Be 2. He might also have been responsible for the SE 5 but I'm not sure of that. This site might interest you. http://www.cbrnp.com/profiles/quarter1/raf.htm

After WWI the name was changed once again to the Royal Aircraft Establishment where a lot of aeronautical research took place, especially during WWII & afterwards. Farnborough is now privately owned but is still the venue for the famous (& now biennial) SBAC show - the Farnborough Air Show.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby FLYING_TRUCKER » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:44 am

Thanks Hagar

Will check on that site.

The reason I am so interested is my Grandfather flew just about every single engine aircraft the Royal Flying Corps had.  His two brothers were also Royal Flying Corps  Pilots and all three were career men.  My Grandfather was the only one who came to Canada and transferred to the then Canadian Air Force prior to 1921 when on April Fools day 1921 it became the Royal Canadian Air Force.
I am not sure the exact number of relatives that served during World War One yet as I am still doing research on that.
During World War Two my father was a pilot and seven uncles all served overseas.  I had one uncle in the navy and one in the army, the rest were air force.  They were all career men as well.  My dad used to say we did not have to talk with my uncles in the army and navy. ;DLOL
I had twenty-one cousins who served overseas in World War Two, many never came home, one was lost in a Spit on his first sortie over Dunkirk, he was eighteen I think.
My family has a long history of military service to Canada and Great Britain that is why I am very interested in the history of the Royal Aircraft Factory itself.
We hope to be in England next year.(2005)
By the way it is minus 33 right now at the airport here.
Thanks for your interest....Looking forward to your replies.
Cheers....Happy Landings....Doug
FLYING_TRUCKER

Postby Hagar » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:53 am

Hi Doug. Very interesting indeed. Maybe we can meet up during your visit. Stranger things have happened. ;)

I realised after posting my previous reply that the SE 5a was designed by H.P. Folland. On leaving the RAE he joined Gloster Aircraft & was responsible for the Gladiator among others. His own company, Folland Aircraft at Hamble is probably best known for the Midge & Gnat before its enforced merger with Hawker Siddeley in the 1960s. The BAe Hawk was obviously developed from these revolutionary designs.

PS. I believe that Folland Aircraft was also involved in float design, fitting & testing for the Spitfire among other types. Unfortunately it has since disappeared without trace, like many other famous names in the British aircraft industry. >:(
Last edited by Hagar on Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby FLYING_TRUCKER » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:47 pm

Thanks Hagar

Have already been to that site several times.  It is funny that when you try to search for the Royal Aircraft Factory it re-routes you to this site!!!!

I was out in Alberta Canada the last week of December and a fellow had a REPLICA of a SE5A.   However it had twin 303 MACHINEGUNS on the airframe allmost in the same position as the Sopwith Camel.  I mentioned to him about this and he said it was a later MOD. :-/Not sure myself as never saw this on any Museum Pictures HOWEVER he might be correct, another reason I like to check with company history and files.  By the way this aircraft is not for sale and he told me of a replica (twin sister to this bird ) which might be available for $85,000.00.

Am VERY HONORED to be able to call you and hopefully meet with you and some fellow simmers when we come to Great Britain.   I have just become a simmer although I have had the programs since they came out.  With Thirty-Five Years in the saddle and nearly Twenty Thousand Hours it is refreshing to converse with people who you don"t have to impress or test.  (PS. I have flown with ex-military with Thirty-Five Years in the saddle and Thirty Plus Thousand Hours.) and they were all down to EARTH GOOD PEOPLE).
WELL HAGAR AND FELLOW SIMMERS I am off to surf this site...Looking forward to your replies ;D.

Cheers....Happy Landings.......Doug
FLYING_TRUCKER

Postby Hagar » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:56 pm

Just a quickie on the subject of replica SE.5a's before I toddle off to bed. Several full-sized replicas were built by Miles Aircraft for the film "The Blue Max". Both my father-in law & his son worked for Miles at the time. My brother-in-law drew up the plans. The aircraft were assembled & test flown at Shoreham, my local airport. I believe some of these ended up in the 'States.

I would be honoured to show you round if you're ever in my vicinity. We can arrange something nearer the time.

Doug aka Hagar
Yes another one.
Last edited by Hagar on Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Felix/FFDS » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:15 pm

Side note on the SE5 series... they were designed with a compartment just behind the cockpit for a wireless set ...  never fitted, but the compartment remained.

Largest post-war user of the SE5a was the  US Air Service/Air Corps

A number of SE5a  airframes were converted to two seaters (including Canadian airframes)
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FLYING_TRUCKER » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:27 pm

Thanks Felix

Any idea what the Canadian Aircraft were delegated for?

I would think for carrying air mail but not sure.

Thanks for input and keep them comming!!!!!!!

Cheers......Happy Landings....Doug
FLYING_TRUCKER

Postby FLYING_TRUCKER » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:30 pm

Sorry Felix

Forgot to ask this in above.

Was there any mention of Canadian Airframes fitted with skis???????

Thanks.....Cheers.....Happy Landings....Doug
FLYING_TRUCKER

Return to History