Flying Commercial In Today's World

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

Flying Commercial In Today's World

Postby Travis » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:04 am

I recently read an article on The Daily Beast talking about the fear many people feel flying in today's airlines.  The fear is fairly erroneous, since we are currently experiencing one of the safest times in aviation history.  But what struck me was that governments are ceaselessly proclaiming that flying commercially is terrorist-proof.

This past summer, a relative of mine came to visit and brought along a colleague.  That person looked like an average, bookish individual.  Over 40, glasses, slim build, white and clean cut.  That person also made it on the aircraft with a Gerber multi-tool in their carry-on.

If this had been a terrorist, what could have happened?

What are your thoughts?
Travis
Major
Major

Re: Flying Commercial In Today's World

Postby machineman9 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:25 am

It is far from terrorist proof. If your will to cause terror is strong enough then not much can really stop it.

It is quite well protected against terrorism but to say it is safe from it is just isn't true.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby C » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:36 am

[quote]
This past summer, a relative of mine came to visit and brought along a colleague.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby expat » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:20 am

That person also made it on the aircraft with a Gerber multi-tool in their carry-on.

If this had been a terrorist, what could have happened?

What are your thoughts?

My first thought is that the person checking or watching the scanner, was on minimum wage and was board poopless. My second thought is that there is no such thing as 100% security. My third though is, security is "seeing to be doing". To a potential terrorsit, what is the percentage of being caught. My fourth though goes directly back to though number one.

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jayhawk Jake » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:10 am

[quote]I recently read an article on The Daily Beast talking about the fear many people feel flying in today's airlines.
AMD Athalon X6 1090T 3.2Ghz::EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 560Ti 2GB GDDR5::8GB RAM
*The opinions expressed above are my own and are in no way representative of fact or opinion of any ot
Jayhawk Jake
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby JBaymore » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:31 am

I just returned from spending the summer working in Japan.
Last edited by JBaymore on Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Ghostrider114 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:48 pm

I'd say someone at O'Hare likes Japanese candy.  Either that or the Japanese Customs agent recognized them and the TSA guy didn't know what they were.

I had a full tube of toothpaste that I forgot to take out of my carry-on last time I was flying out of Honolulu, they confiscated that and pulled me asside for questioning, fortunately the agent who talked to me realized that it was an honest mistake and let me go.  Ofcourse what got me was that they didn't catch it flying out of Lihue earlier that day, and it was after we came back from Pearl Harbor too!  if it was a bomb, I would have had plenty of time to use it, not only on the Inter-Island hop, but also on a major US Navy Base.
Ghostrider114
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby JBaymore » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:59 pm

[quote]I'd say someone at O'Hare likes Japanese candy.
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Leigh » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:23 am

ive walked through security a fair few times and well i put a razor from a pencil sharpener in my wallet quite sharp (i forgot it was in there) and it made it through

also i had a few allen keys in my shorts (you know for surfing) and they made em through as well

i dont no :D
Leigh
Major
Major

Postby Rich H » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:58 pm

My brother got a key ring taken off him, as it was an empty bullet case he found. He wasn't too impressed.

"Politics" is made up of two words, "Poli", which is Greek for "many", and "tics", which are blood sucking insects. - Gore Vidal
Rich H
Major
Major

Postby Triple_7 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:56 pm

As I was packing my suitcases in Japan I made the mistake of placing some expensive red bean based confections into my carry-on for safe-keeping.

Yum...red bean candy :D
Triple_7

Postby DaveSims » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:03 am

I can tell you from my personnel experience working in the airport environment.  99% of what the TSA accomplished is to make the average soccer mom feel safer for flying, and to justify their paycheck.  Without our getting on my soapbox about the TSA, let me just tell you they are a joke of an organization.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby Layne. » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:00 am

I still fear flying commercial a little bit but only from sound on takeoff and landing not the actual ride/cruise. I flew on one of the oldest Jetstar A320's taking off on a small runway at Hamilton Island and the landing gear went up it sounded like a *@!$*$# DC-3!!! I almost fainted lol

But i still love flying, my mate is going to Japan, probably on his way to the airport right now and he has been crapping his pants all day ;D ;D ;D
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | 22" LED Monitor (1920x1080) | AMD Phenom II x4 970 Black Edition~3.5Ghz | 4gb RAM | ATI Radeon 6850 1gb | 1Tb HDD

[img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1302666610.
Layne.
Major
Major

Return to Real Aviation