Plane comes down in residential area....

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

Plane comes down in residential area....

Postby igs942 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:47 am

Believed to be an 8 seater Cessna Citation....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7321589.stm

Sad day  :(
igs942
Captain
Captain

Re: Plane comes down in residential area....

Postby mrjake2002 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:35 am

Terrible news.  :(

Believed to be Cessna Citation VP-BGE.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,, ... 71,00.html
[url]http://www.flickr.com/gravityxgrace[/url]
mrjake2002
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:53 am

This doesn't look good at all. I hope nobody was in those houses.

As usual the BBC news report is hopeless.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mrjake2002 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:00 am

Yep, they are being W***ers as usual.  >:(  Putting completely clueless people on air and coungering up facts as they go. The appeals for pictures of the accident really sicken me and the reporter on news 24 is incredibley disrespectful.  
Last edited by mrjake2002 on Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrjake2002
Major
Major

Postby igs942 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:02 am

It's reported the owners of the house that was directly hit are on holiday which is something. Not looking good for the occupants of the aircraft by the pictures though.

Also seems it's not believed to be VP-BGE any more as this was due to land in France around the time of the incident and had already entered French airspace.

My thoughts go out to all involved.
Last edited by igs942 on Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
igs942
Captain
Captain

Postby igs942 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:08 am

The appeals for pictures of the accident really sicken me and the reporter on news 24 is incredibley disrespectful.  

Just heard a Sky News interview with a clearly shaken pilot who was on approach to Big just before the accident. I know it was probably him who phoned Sky News but it did seem a tad over the top asking him what he heard over the radio. IMHO that should have been saved for AAIB
igs942
Captain
Captain

Postby mrjake2002 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:09 am

Yes. I'm tempted to complain to the BBC about their very disrespectful coverage, as they do with every accident.
mrjake2002
Major
Major

Postby Tweek » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:42 am

Yes. I'm tempted to complain to the BBC about their very disrespectful coverage, as they do with every accident.

I hope you'll be complaining about all accidents then, not just aviation related ones...
Tweek

Postby expat » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:48 pm

Yep, they are being W***ers as usual.  >:(  Putting completely clueless people on air and coungering up facts as they go. The appeals for pictures of the accident really sicken me and the reporter on news 24 is incredibley disrespectful.  

If you start pointing the finger at the BBC, which does seem to be a sport here, then you need to have a go at all news agencies.

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:42 pm

If you start pointing the finger at the BBC, which does seem to be a sport here, then you need to have a go at all news agencies.

Matt

The original BBC report of this incident was inaccurate & full of contradictory statements. That is unfortunately typical of the BBC News service nowadays. The Sky News coverage was far better from the start. Auntie Beeb now seems to have got her act together although they are still referring to the crashed aircraft as a Learjet on local radio news.. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7321589.stm

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby expat » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:20 pm

Matt

The original BBC report of this incident was inaccurate & full of contradictory statements. That is unfortunately typical of the BBC News service nowadays. The Sky News coverage was far better from the start. Auntie Beeb now seems to have got her act together although they are still referring to the crashed aircraft as a Learjet on local radio news.. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7321589.stm

Most breaking news stories are inaccurate from the start. Sky have made their fare share of balls ups too. It is just a question of how quick the errors are corrected. But that it the price you pay when whether you are Sky, BBC, CNN etc for having an up to the second reporting service.

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:34 pm

Most breaking news stories are inaccurate from the start. Sky have made their fare share of balls ups too. It is just a question of how quick the errors are corrected. But that it the price you pay when whether you are Sky, BBC, CNN etc for having an up to the second reporting service.

Matt

You're probably right. I know very little of Sky News. Just commenting on what I noticed on this occasion. I rarely watch any news programmes now but I would rather have accurate & unbiased reporting than half-baked "breaking news" stories. Until a few years ago the BBC News service was arguably the most reliable & highly respected news service in the World. Sadly this is no longer the case & it's no better than any of its competitors. From what I've seen it's generally worse. I feel entitled to criticise as a paid-up TV licence holder & part-owner of the BBC. :P

PS. I think it's a miracle that the owners of the demolished house were on holiday at the time of the accident. They are apparently due back home tomorrow. Someone is in for a shock.
Last edited by Hagar on Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby igs942 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:17 pm

Until a few years ago the BBC News service was arguably the most reliable & highly respected news service in the World. Sadly this is no longer the case & it's no better than any of its competitors. From what I've seen it's generally worse. I feel entitled to criticise as a paid-up TV licence holder & part-owner of the BBC. :P

Ditto Doug

PS. I think it's a miracle that the owners of the demolished house were on holiday at the time of the accident. They are apparently due back home tomorrow. Someone is in for a shock.

Let's hope they're not watching Sky or the Beeb! It's a miracle they're not quoting Farnborough, Hampshire!
igs942
Captain
Captain

Postby igs942 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:23 pm

Seems Sky News have released that David Leslie and Richard Lloyd were 2 of the pax on board (racing drivers).

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,, ... 71,00.html

RIP the 5 victims :(
igs942
Captain
Captain

Postby beaky » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:19 pm

The appeals for pictures of the accident really sicken me

Although I share your feelings about news coverage of these accidents, pictures of the accident, particularly pre-impact, could be very useful to the investigation.

Another single-pilot(?) CJ crash... most CJs are certified for single-pilot ops, but that's a lot of airplane to handle yourself when something goes wrong.  :(
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Real Aviation