Plane comes down in residential area....

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

Re: Plane comes down in residential area....

Postby expat » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:55 am

Just been reading a bit more about this, and whilst five people lost their lives here, at the end of the day there is nothing that can be done it. The next tragedy here is the retired couple who now have no house. Rest assured that the insurance companies will argue over who was at fault and who should pay up for the next few years. It will end up in the courts while a retired in there 70's couple who had nothing to do with it live with relatives or a B&B or even in a caravan next to what is left of their house. Personally in such circumstances, I think that the government should pay up in full within a week alleviating the innocent of any burden and then say to the insurance companies, get it sorted or action will be taken. After all they can afford to do so unlike us little folk who do not have bottomless pits of money in our pockets.

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:28 am

Another single-pilot(?) CJ crash... most CJs are certified for single-pilot ops, but that's a lot of airplane to handle yourself when something goes wrong.  :(

If the news reports can be believed there were 'two pilots'. One was named as Mike Roberts, the owner of the aircraft.

Just been reading a bit more about this, and whilst five people lost their lives here, at the end of the day there is nothing that can be done it. The next tragedy here is the retired couple who now have no house. Rest assured that the insurance companies will argue over who was at fault and who should pay up for the next few years. It will end up in the courts while a retired in there 70's couple who had nothing to do with it live with relatives or a B&B or even in a caravan next to what is left of their house. Personally in such circumstances, I think that the government should pay up in full within a week alleviating the innocent of any burden and then say to the insurance companies, get it sorted or action will be taken. After all they can afford to do so unlike us little folk who do not have bottomless pits of money in our pockets.

Matt

Sorry Matt. Again I have to disagree. The Harmans are extremely lucky to be alive & I'm sure they realise that. Everything else pales into insignificance. Mr Harman is a retired insurance executive & should be in a better position than most to work this out. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=550189&in_page_id=1770&ct=5
[quote][i]The
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby expat » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:17 am

Another single-pilot(?) CJ crash... most CJs are certified for single-pilot ops, but that's a lot of airplane to handle yourself when something goes wrong.  :(

If the news reports can be believed there were 'two pilots'. One was named as Mike Roberts, the owner of the aircraft.

Matt

Sorry Matt. Again I have to disagree. The Harmans are extremely lucky to be alive & I'm sure they realise that. Everything else pales into insignificance. Mr Harman is a retired insurance executive & should be in a better position than most to work this out. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=550189&in_page_id=1770&ct=5
[quote][i]The
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:48 am

Outside of the loss of five lives, I suppose it depends on your definition of Lucky. I would say that they have been very unlucky, after all an aircraft had just crashed into their house and destroyed everything that have worked for. Lucky to be alive, they where on holiday, if they had not been on holiday, maybe they would have been shopping, or visiting the grand children for example, we will never know, but as humans, we like to attach comforting wording to situations like this, so if that is the way everyone feels, who am I to take it away. I am sorry, I just don't do online sentiment for complete strangers. I sometimes have the feeling that here at SimV as soon as something happens it is a race to start posting RIP etc. Yes it is tragic, but for me unless I personally know who is concerned, once I turn the page of the paper, that's it. That maybe heartless, but where do you draw the line. Thanks to Mr Blair I have seen things I would class a a lot worse than what happened yesterday. If I had let those things consume me, I would not set foot outside my own front door. Also in a previous life involving a blue suit, have cleared up two crashes. One  fatal one not. The sooner you detach yourself and look at it a scape metal, the easier the job was. Jet fuel and flesh, a smell you will never forget. Anyway that is just my personal view and I don't expect anyone to agree, but since the subject came up......

Back to the point, I will bet my life savings that regardless of Mr Harmans previous occupation, he is still waiting for an insurance payout this time next year. It is the way it works, whether a plane has landed on your house, you are injured in a road accident, slip down a man whole or if you are the victim of medical negligence, though with the latter you will probably be waiting another 10 years.

Matt

Sorry Matt. I don't get your point here. I think you're the one getting emotional over it. :P

I'm trying to look at this dispassionately as usual & could never be accused of false sentiment, most likely the opposite. I never get involved with expressing condolences for people I don't know as seems fashionable here & on other forums. Of course I feel sorry for the dead pilot & passengers but it could have been a great deal worse. The residents of Romsey Close have to be thankful for that & for want of a better description it was a matter of luck that the owners of the destroyed house were away on holiday at the time.

I don't watch TV but there has already been a lot of nonsense printed in the newspapers on this incident & there will be a lot more before the dust settles. The same old stories about a hero pilot avoiding disaster when it's most likely he had no control over the aircraft at that stage. Meanwhile, the protesters against the use of Biggin Hill as an airfield are rubbing their hands with glee at the new ammunition that has literally fallen into their hands. Instead of protesting about it perhaps they should be asking themselves why they choose to live on the approach to a busy airfield. Note that those houses look very modern & there has been an airfield at Biggin since 1917.

I'm not one to jump to conclusions but I've seen it suggested that this was caused by a bird strike either during or soon after take-off. This was my first thought & it seems the most likely explanation at the moment.
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Saitek » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:59 am

David Leslie is among the dead too. That is two retired motor heroes to die in air accidents. Colin McRae being the other. :(
Really sad for all, but it could have been much worse.
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Intel Core 2 Duo E2180 2GHz
GA-P35-DS3L Intel P35
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2) DDR2 6400C4 800Mhz
GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
2 x 22" monitors
200GB Sata
Be Quiet! Straight Power 650W

Flying FS
Saitek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby C » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:26 am

Very sad for all involved, including the family of the 25 year old passenger who was at the other end of his motorsport career; echos of a certain crash near Elstree in 1975.

Another two faces gone from (IMO) one of the best periods of motorsport; David Leslie as a driver in Grp C with Jaguar, Porsche and Mazda, and Lloyd as team owner with some of the most distinctive Porsche 956s and 962s in the WSPC paddock.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:41 am

The co-pilot has been named as Michael Chapman from Shoreham-by-Sea. This is the name of the owner of the Real Flying Co at Shoreham Airport. http://www.realflyingcompany.com/the_team.htm
He was the instructor on our little trip to the Isle of Wight last September. Seems too much of a coincidence for it not to be him.

The name Mike Roberts also seems familiar.

PS. http://www.theargus.co.uk/display.var.2159375.0.air_crash_pilot_identified.php
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mrjake2002 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:50 pm

The co-pilot has been named as Michael Chapman from Shoreham-by-Sea. This is the name of the owner of the Real Flying Co at Shoreham Airport. http://www.realflyingcompany.com/the_team.htm
He was the instructor on our little trip to the Isle of Wight last September. Seems too much of a coincidence for it not to be him.

The name Mike Roberts also seems familiar.

PS. http://www.theargus.co.uk/display.var.2159375.0.air_crash_pilot_identified.php

:'( :'(

That is terrible news.   :'(
[url]http://www.flickr.com/gravityxgrace[/url]
mrjake2002
Major
Major

Postby beaky » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:17 pm

This is all very sad, and puzzling, not that having two crewmembers guarantees success in an emergency... but definitely it could have been much worse. Only one house, and the occupants were not home... whew!
For me as a pilot, a bigger fear than getting killed in an airplane I'm flying is hurting someone on the ground (although the pax are a concern, obviously).
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Real Aviation