And how was your summer holiday?

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

And how was your summer holiday?

Postby Mr. Bones » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:50 am

last summer my friend went to Tunis for his summer holidays with his parents. but this is what happened...

when they were rolling down the runway at Brussels National (with a 737 or A320) they suddenly had an engine strike. the pilots are able to stop before the end of the runway and turned the next taxiway. i hear you thinking: "not very special..."
but: the pilots taxied to the beginning of the same runway for another take off (without first going to a maintenance hangar for some checks...). people were going crazy but hey, what can you do when you are already on the runway...again?!

during the second attempt, at the same moment, an engine (don't know if it was the same one) stopped. again, without inspecting the engine they taxied to the beginning for their third attempt...and yes, during their third "take off", they had to interrupt it because of an engine strike!

two questions:
-how the hell did those pilots get three take off clearances?
-why don't they inspect the engine before giving it another try??

first i thought those pilots where just excercising rejected take offs, but no! after the third attempt, they taxied to the gate and the passengers had to wait 8 hours for another plane...that had to come straight from Tunis!

conclusion: my friend never flies TunisAir anymore!
Last edited by Mr. Bones on Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raw power...the J-58.

My Anet collection.
Mr. Bones
Major
Major

Re: And how was your summer holiday?

Postby Craig. » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:33 am

since i dotn know what kind of airline they are, it could be difficult to answer., but they would have prob had all the info on the engines they needed in front of them, if the readouts were off then they would def have had to gone to maintenence but if they all still read normal why not carry on. However by the second i would prob have expected them to check it out, then again if this is a low cost airline that works to strict timetables and costs, prob an excuse to save as much money by not missing the flights.
I know there are a few people who can better answer this.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mr. Bones » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:23 pm

even if it's a low cost airline, they didn't have to continue their flight! what if, after two attempts, the engine fails at an altitude of lets say 500ft? i think those humans are more important than the timetalbe!  ;)
Raw power...the J-58.

My Anet collection.
Mr. Bones
Major
Major

Postby Craig. » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:30 pm

you'd be surprised sometimes:)
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Felix/FFDS » Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:26 pm

At the very least, they should have gotten out, tied the fans of the offending engine with a spare seatbelt or two, and gone off on their way.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:08 pm

At the very least, they should have gotten out, tied the fans of the offending engine with a spare seatbelt or two, and gone off on their way.

A technique used, with great effect, by Air China. Intill the aircraft was grounded at frankfurt that is... :P ;D

But anyway, beat this, my friend was one a plane this summer when one of the engines caught fire. :P
Last edited by Woodlouse2002 on Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mr. Bones » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:45 am

But anyway, beat this, my friend was one a plane this summer when one of the engines caught fire. :P

also three times in a row?  :P
Raw power...the J-58.

My Anet collection.
Mr. Bones
Major
Major

Return to Real Aviation