What comes out of the...ass?

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

What comes out of the...ass?

Postby Mr. Bones » Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:33 am

hello guys,

i've been thinking about this for a long time...but now i want an answer: what comes out of the ass of a plane?

it looks like smoke, but is there an engine situated there? i guess not...

to make myself clear, i added a photo bellow...and i'd like to know what's the use of the part in the blue circle? thanx  ;)

Raw power...the J-58.

My Anet collection.
Mr. Bones
Major
Major

Re: What comes out of the...ass

Postby OTTOL » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:12 am

I like the graphic title! It's like one of those "FREE SEX and BEER" ads, you just can't pass it up!

That's the exhaust for the APU ( auxiliary power unit). It's a small(usually single stage, centrifugal flow), turbine. It has accessory drives for a hydraulic pump, and generator(for DC power). It doesn't provide any thrust, although the idea has come up before(I Think on the B777). This allows the aircraft to "power up" systems, without running the main engines, or hooking up a GPU(ground power unit). The unit remains on until after takeoff(usually shut down after ascending through 18,000') as a backup for any potential system failures. It's usually turned back ON, after clearing the runway, following landing.
.....so I loaded up the plane and moved to Middle-EEEE..........OIL..that is......
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Re: What comes out of the...ass?

Postby Harrier » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:32 am

i noticed you said smoke and scenes as your questions already been answered i just thought id say on aerobatic jets (hawks etc.) that its diesel that forms the multi coloured smoke but i dont know i thats where it actually comes from?
Harrier
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Mr. Bones » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:44 am

thanks! that's just what i wanted to know!  ;)
Raw power...the J-58.

My Anet collection.
Mr. Bones
Major
Major

Postby Felix/FFDS » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:49 am

i noticed you said smoke and scenes as your questions already been answered i just thought id say on aerobatic jets (hawks etc.) that its diesel that forms the multi coloured smoke but i dont know i thats where it actually comes from?

Small holding tanks....  press Shift-I and it's enabled..:)
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Real Aviation