Apache at my college

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

Apache at my college

Postby allosaurus1 » Sat Apr 13, 2002 6:44 pm

:oI go to school at BYU.Idaho, Look at what landed at the practice feild.
The thing is, you are still a live when they start to eat you.
allosaurus1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Apache at my college

Postby Wee Davie » Sat Apr 13, 2002 6:46 pm

SH*T HOT MAN
Last edited by Wee Davie on Sat Apr 13, 2002 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Athlon XP 2400+
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe gold v2.0
1280MB PC2100 DDR
ASUS V9280S GF4 Ti4200 8X AGP (mnfr clocked)
Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM
MS XP Pro
FS2004 Full Install: Settings: Pretty much maxed
Wee Davie
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby BMan1113VR » Sat Apr 13, 2002 6:57 pm

cool, but why were they there? ;)
Sincerely,
Me

SimV NFL 2006-2007 Season Pool Co-Champion (157-99; 9-2)
SimV NFL 2005-2006 Season Pool Co-Champion (163-93)
SimV NFL 2004-2005 Season Pool Champion (1
BMan1113VR
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby allosaurus1 » Sat Apr 13, 2002 7:58 pm

:DWe have a small R.O.T.C branch and they had the base in Boise fly one down to show off. Basicly they where trying to recroot poeple to join the R.O.T.C. ::)
The thing is, you are still a live when they start to eat you.
allosaurus1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby N505AF » Sun Apr 14, 2002 1:29 am

Little do them guys know you only hafe to be a Warrant Officer to fly helicopters for the Army, that means no collage what so ever.  You have a tec school that equals up to some collage credits but not alot, a Warrant Officer is a NCO (None Commissioned Officer) that means that he's just a glorified Sergeant.  Its a good deal if you really want to fly but hate school its about a 13 month flight school at Fort Rucker, Ala.  And a nother good deal out of being a Warrant Officer is that you only hafe to be 19 to be one, a regular Officer must be 21 years of age upon his/her commission into the armed forces.  Good deal if you want to fly helicopters!!! ;)
N505AF
Captain
Captain

Postby Mav_316 » Sun Apr 14, 2002 7:56 am

:o Really that sounds like a sweeeeeeeeeet deal to me. But I have bad eye sight  8) and asthma  :-/(haven't had an attack in like 13 yrs, guess it was a childhood phase) and in the millitary rules that means you do not qualify.  :( >:( really sucks. Becuase I would love nuthing more then to fly helicopters to save lives or protect lives. It is a rush for me  ;D and besides chicks dig it!  ;)

But those dreams are dead because I wasn't gifted with perfect sight  :'(!
I am whatever you say I am 1 :P
Mav_316
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Tequila Sunrise » Fri Apr 26, 2002 5:14 pm

I know how you feel, I tried to join the R.A.F., I am highly inteligent, good at A.C.M. theory and extremly fit. Wasn't accepted because of a 2% defficiency in my left eye.
If someone with multiple personality disorder threatens suicide, is it a hostage situation?

Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee
Tequila Sunrise
Major
Major

Postby Laker » Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:49 am

Actually, some of the above is incorrect.  Warrant Officers are not NCOs, they are officers.  When they are promoted to CW2, they recieve a commission just like branch officers.  Also, warrants aren't the only ones that fly in the US Army.  Branch officers also fly, just not as much as warrants b/c that is a warrant's primary job, while branch officers are platoon leaders, commanders, etc.  
Laker
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Craig. » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:37 am

i dont know how it works in america, but to fly helecoptors in the british army, you have to have 4 years service before you can fly the helos, no matter the rank.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:21 am

i dont know how it works in america, but to fly helecoptors in the british army, you have to have 4 years service before you can fly the helos, no matter the rank.

Craig. I think it's worth checking this out. The Army Air Corps (AAC) recruits pilots from 3 main sources:

1. Direct Entry (Officers only).
2. The ranks of the AAC (Corporals and above)
3. Officers and soldiers from other arms and branches of the Service (Corporal and above).

Note. Applicants can be male or female.

As I understand it , those applicants already in the services would have to be signed on for at least 4 years, not necessarily have served this time before applying. http://www.ukmfts.mod.uk/pages/current/raftraining/aacfly.shtml

Laker. In the UK at least, Warrant Officer is the highest non-commissioned rank. You would never salute a Warrant Officer in the British services.

PS. Allosaurus. I can't see your pic so assume it's been removed. This is the reason for not linking to images hosted on other sites.
Last edited by Hagar on Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Smoke2much » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:56 am

As I understand it a Warrant Officer holds a Warrent from the Queen and a Commisioned Officer holds a Commision from the Queen.  No matter how highly qualified a Warrent Officer is he/she still ranks below the most junior commisioned rank.  It would be unwise for the new 2nd Lt. to disregard the "advice" of a WO2 with 40 years service behind him.

To illustrate my point I'll bore you all with a long and pointless annecdote.

My father was a merchant seaman in the 50's and 60's.  He was an engineer mostly in coasting steamers.  One of his captains was an ex Royal Navy Officer who between the wars was a Sub Lieutenant.  One evening he held the middle Watch with the senior Coxn at the wheel to keep an eye on him.  Being 19 years old and by all accounts a complete prick he started giving the Bridge crew a hard time, pointless orders that they have to follow because he was the officer.  I'm sure that those of you that have been in the forces will have met men like this.  Anyway he noticed that the course that they were sailing led directly down the band of light cast on the sea by the moon.  He turned to the cox'n (who was old enough to be his Father at least and had been in the Navy for about 30 years) and ordered him to direct the ship (destroyer) down the light.  The cox'n did exactly that for the next 3 1/2 hours.  By the time that the subbie (my fathers Captain) was relieved by the 2nd Lt the ship was about 30 miles away from the position reported by the subbie and a good 20 degrees off course.

The subbie was given the dressing down of his life and nothing happened to the Cox'n, who despite his rank, years of service and experience, was simply following orders from a superior officer.

Incidentaly the Subbie in question went on to command a Corvette and lost his left arm somewhere in the Atlantic (careless I guess).  The above was the pep talk he gave all newly joined officers in his ship and was what my father told me when I told him I planned to apply for a commision when I was seventeen.

Will
Who switched the lights off?
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Postby Ronnie » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:13 pm

I can't see the pic.  ???
Ronnie
Captain
Captain

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:20 pm

Dude!!! We had one of those come to our school! ;D
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Stratobat » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:18 pm

I saw a documentary about 9-11 and one of the pilots who was flying an F-15 or F-16 was wearing glasses. They're probably correction lenses, but glasses nontheless!

I think most Air Forces allow pilots to wear Correction Glasses, but if you've got a real problem seeing when you don't have them on, then obviously they won't consider you for Pilot Training!

'If the literal sense makes good sense, seek no other sense lest you come up with nonsense'
Stratobat
Major
Major

Postby Craig. » Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:30 am

basically vision has to be correctable to 20/20, glasses or not
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Real Aviation