Concorde in Speyer

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

Concorde in Speyer

Postby Ivan » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:04 am

The car-and-aircraft museum in Speyer got one of the Air France Concordes, (Link) uniting it with it's cousin the Tu-144
Russian planes: IL-76 (all standard length ones),  Tu-154 and Il-62, Tu-134 and [url=http://an24.uw.hu/]An-24RV[/ur
Ivan
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Concorde in Speyer

Postby Mr. Bones » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:32 am

yep...and it was carried with a ferry over the Rhine...seen on TV  ;)
Raw power...the J-58.

My Anet collection.
Mr. Bones
Major
Major

Postby Harrier » Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:52 am

slightly off topic but i saw a grounded concorde in washington when i was over there in july, it was great.
shame there getting permantly grounded on the 13th of this month by british airways.
Harrier
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OTTOL » Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:32 am

slightly off topic but i saw a grounded concorde in washington when i was over there in july, it was great.
shame there getting permantly grounded on the 13th of this month by british airways.

The one you  saw in DC ,in AFR colors I believe, IS being grounded permanently. It's going to the new museum in, being built at the field.  ;)
.....so I loaded up the plane and moved to Middle-EEEE..........OIL..that is......
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Postby Harrier » Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:01 am

Yeah i thought so, how do you know that?
yeah all concordes are getting permanty grounded 13th but i think AFR have already grounded all of theres.
Great avatar too, i love the young ones!  ;)
Last edited by Harrier on Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harrier
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OTTOL » Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:14 am

I fly into Dulles alot, and I saw it there about a month ago, and posted a question here. Rifleman posted a link about it from a DC newspaper,  I believe.  I was there about two weeks ago, again, theres also a Boeing 307 Stratocruiser(old polished four engine propliner) parked in front of it.
Funny, I was thinking that I liked YOU'RE Avatar! :D I've loved British humor since I was a kid. I was trying to find something that stood out from the Avatar's that I had seen so far, and also there seems to be a large British contingent at this sight, that I knew would appreciate the picture.  :)

Pat 8)
.....so I loaded up the plane and moved to Middle-EEEE..........OIL..that is......
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Postby Harrier » Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:43 am

Yeah thanks for the info, are you a pilot?
yeah i love comedy especially when rik mayall and adrian edmondson are involved thats a great episode too were they put a 'P' infront of ricks name, if you like the young ones you must like 'bottom' too?
Last edited by Harrier on Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harrier
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OTTOL » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:07 am

Yup, I fly for National Jets/ National Air Ambulance www.nationaljets.com .   I remember that episode. I think Rick was giving Viv a hard time about his name being a girl's name, that's when Vyv told Rick his name "was spelled with a silent P at the beginning".  :D   Never heard of "bottom", is that an episode, or a different program?
Last edited by OTTOL on Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Postby Harrier » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:12 am

how did you get into piloting, (military)? if so what did you fly?
yeah that was a funny episode, no bottom is a whole new program just including Vyvian, Rick and mike but mikes only in the occasional episode, im going to see the live show on the 23rd, should be great!
Harrier
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OTTOL » Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:16 pm

I'll give you the "canned" response, for simplicity sake. I was in the Marine Corps, but as Enlisted air crew. All of my flying was civilian. I started when I was 13, spent a few years in the military, then got out,  and back to aviation. Here's what I tell everyone..........

1) If you're not already, go to College first! This will leave you many more options, and will be necessary to fly military(at least in the US). This will also allow you a "plan B"  to fall back on.
2) Try to get a job at the airport. Just being in that environment will open up many opportunities, and introduce you to possible connections.
3) Use your time wisely. Just because you may not be flying the "real thing" at the moment doesn't mean you can't have an aviation related textbook in hand. And even flying the Sim, is an excellent way to improve your skills(just make sure you challenge yourself).
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Postby Harrier » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:59 pm

yeah thanks for the info, if i dont get to pilot in the navy im really gonna have to think about flight school or something, but i know nothing about this or the price to go
Last edited by Harrier on Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harrier
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Harrier » Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:07 pm

yeah im definately going to college first, i dont want to be doing 6 years of ground crew then getting the 'chance' to go on to another 4 years of pilots training, thats what the army said but i am going on to get some A levels first, plus i wouldnt be able to handle the military just yet.  ;)
Last edited by Harrier on Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harrier
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby iguana » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:48 pm

Harrier,

Don't know if this is the sort of information that you are looking for but might be off some use to you.

You might want to read over here on how to be a pilot in the UK from the British Airline Pilots Association of Great Britain.  I had a skim of it last night, quite a good read :)
iguana
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Real Aviation