Opppssss! Sorry mate, didn't see you...!

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

Opppssss! Sorry mate, didn't see you...!

Postby Fozzer » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:09 pm

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Federal officials are investigating a collision between two planes on the tarmac at San Francisco International Airport.

Investigators believe a lapse in communication led to the minor scrape.

On Tuesday, a United Airlines jet was being pushed back from a gate at the international terminal when it clipped the wingtip of a passing All Nippon Airways jet.

Both planes suffered minor damage. No injuries were reported. Passengers were placed on alternative flights.

SFO spokesman Mike McCarron says it's a very unusual occurrence. He compared it to a highway fender-bender.

The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board are looking into the incident.

(Copyright 2003 by the Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Article courtesy of...
http://www.kron.com

Cheers all... ;)...!
Paul.
(England).
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Opppssss! Sorry mate, didn't see you...!

Postby ozzy72 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:51 pm

He compared it to a highway fender-bender

The primary difference being several hundred thousand dollars in repairs ;D
I remember being stranded in Bakersfield many years ago because one of the staircase drivers took the end of the wing off our plane. If anyone can imagine anything worse than 48hrs in Bakersfield, please send it to me on a postcard at the usual address ;D

Mark
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby OTTOL » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:01 pm

The primary difference being several hundred thousand dollars in repairs ;D
Mark
and the fact that, most airplanes don't have fenders!
::) :-[
I was in MIA a couple of months ago, and some poor bastard forgot to chock and set the brake on a GPU. It was connected to, and rolled into, one of the props on a running engine of an ATR-42!  :o
.....so I loaded up the plane and moved to Middle-EEEE..........OIL..that is......
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Postby Tequila Sunrise » Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:43 am

hey Mark, how about being stuck in Palma for 36hrs with no money or food
If someone with multiple personality disorder threatens suicide, is it a hostage situation?

Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee
Tequila Sunrise
Major
Major

Postby loomex » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:49 pm

Ok, here is what I would consider the ultimate "Fender Bender", and that is how it was put in the news when it happened. The headline, if I remember correctly, read "Fender Bender at 35,000 feet"
Minot AFB, ND. A Boeing B-52H and a Boeing KC-135A, both assigned to the Air Base were involved in a "minor" fender bender today. During a refueling operation, the B-52 "rear-ended" the tanker. The 25 year old bomber suffered a large gapping hole in the nose, and the tanker had damage to the tail section that controls the up and down path of the plane. The B-52 landed with no problems, and the KC-135 landed safely with some diffeculty.

This was back in the late 80's. Not long after that a B-52  and a duck collided. The duck missed the co-pilots leg by 6 inches.

Amazing what you learn while in the AF!

Chris
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) ,2.70 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X6 1045T(6-core), two HD (1TB and 500GB), 8gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5570,
loomex
Major
Major

Return to Real Aviation