Maybe a solution for Craig?

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

Maybe a solution for Craig?

Postby Mr. Bones » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:54 am

yesterday, when we flew back from Zanzibar to Belgium, we made a stop at Mombasa to pick up some people and gas. when we were allowed to go back to our magnificent 767, little Kennie saw it was a nice opportunity to make a nice walk around the big fat heavy jet.
i noticed that the main gear isn't actually situated beneeth the fuselage, but more under the wings. therefore it's a bit strange saying that the 767's main gear tilts backwards. i think it's retracted to the side, in the big belly of the plane. what do you think?  ;)
Raw power...the J-58.

My Anet collection.
Mr. Bones
Major
Major

Re: Maybe a solution for Craig?

Postby Hagar » Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:00 am

I'm surprised they let you do that. ::)

If I remember correctly, by "tilting backwards" Craig was referring to the angle of the main bogies when the gear is extended in the air - not the retraction sequence.

PS. The 767 main bogies tilt the opposite way to those on most other airliners as you can see in this shot of the prototype.

Last edited by Hagar on Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mr. Bones » Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:06 am

[quote]I'm surprised they let you do that. ::)
quote]

don't forget it was in Afrika...actually it was even worse...it was in Mombasa!  ;D
Raw power...the J-58.

My Anet collection.
Mr. Bones
Major
Major

Postby Craig. » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:11 pm

it may go some way to explaining it,
thanks bones, and hope your trip went well.
is mombasa really as bad as i have heard? shanty towns on the side of runway, dogs and people wandering the taxiways???
if so getting to see the outside of the plane there wouldnt be to difficult.
i have also heard while flying there you arnt allowed to take pictures while on airport grounds, were you warned of that??
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mr. Bones » Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:25 am

when we landed there it was dark, so i couldn't see any people crossing the runway... ::)

i didn't take any photos either...but i took one at Zanzibar. there was a nice biz jet from a minister from who knows. i took a photo of that one but didn't get any problems. another guy who took a shot, had to pay a dollar to a lady who was sitting there at a desk...he just gave her a sigaret... :-/
Raw power...the J-58.

My Anet collection.
Mr. Bones
Major
Major

Return to Real Aviation