ID and info of a 'hidden' airfield?

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

ID and info of a 'hidden' airfield?

Postby T4Tango » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:41 am

Hello To All,

I've been spending quite a bit of time the last couple months after getting FS2002.  I particularly enjoy investigating 'my own back yard', which is Northern CA and the SF Bay Area.  Yesterday I 'discovered' a most unusual air strip that I'm not at all familiar with.  I don't know how accurate the rendering of it is, as it was found after installing an enhanced elevation package for Sonoma and Napa counties.  It's a long srtip set very deep in a tight box canyon, running NW - SE.  The strip takes up literally the entire canyon floor.  It's located in the vacinity (north?) of what should be Calistoga, near the border of Napa and Lake counties.  The canyon is almost totally boxed in as only a section of one side is not solid rock.  The only information on the flight map is the code "SICA", whcih I've been unable (so far) to identify.

Can anyone shed some light on this landing strip?  It's name, exact location and and other info would be greatly appreciated.

This is my first visit to this forum and I'm totally enjoying it!

Thanx
T4Tango
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: ID and info of a 'hidden' airfield?

Postby Ivan » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:04 pm

Welcome to the forums

You discovered the thing we use to call 'crater airports', a typical bug occuring in flighsim since FS2000. FS2004 sets a new frontier concerning mesh bugs with craters over 50.000ft deep and mountains up to 65.000ft

In reality the airport is just a normal one... only the mesh data makes it weird. the problem can be fixed a little by setting the altitude in the Scenery.cfg file... don't ask me how
Russian planes: IL-76 (all standard length ones),  Tu-154 and Il-62, Tu-134 and [url=http://an24.uw.hu/]An-24RV[/ur
Ivan
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: ID and info of a 'hidden' airfield?

Postby OTTOL » Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:44 pm

I think Ivan is correct, you have an existing airport with a graphic error. The only thing that I could find that might be constrewed as SICA, in the area you described, is an airport called 7-M Ranch(81CA). I found this on Jeppesen Flight Map, which only shows it as"PVT", and doesn't give runway length or direction. The coordinates are 38*43'N/122*33'W. SICA is not even listed under ICAO(international). The next closest(41nm from 81CA) is TravisAFB KSUU(N38*15'.45/W121*55'.39)has two 11,000' runways that run NE by SW and stand NEARLY end to end(which may be mistaken for one long runway ??? ???  ).   Pat 8)
.....so I loaded up the plane and moved to Middle-EEEE..........OIL..that is......
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Return to Real Aviation