Time between lessons....

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

Time between lessons....

Postby Scottler » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:35 am

Perhaps this has been asked, so if so, my apologies.

With my instruction beginning tomorrow (still hoping on the weather), I'm curious...how long should I wait between lessons?
Great edit, Bob.

Google it.

www.google.com
Scottler
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Time between lessons....

Postby Craig. » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:44 am

urmm i have always been told to leave as little time as possible between lessons, and have been told at least 4 to 5 hours a week is the minimum you would need to pass with the minimum 40 hours. obviously though it all depends on financial status. sadly i could only afford one lesson a month which i soon realised i wouldnt pass any time soon so i am waiting till i can afford it in one go, instead of just going every time i have the money. also way to save money, basically take as many lessons in as short a time as possible, thats what i have been told.. hope it helps some Hype
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Scottler » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:00 pm

I was originally considering once a month, but that means four years before I'd even be able to TRY for my PPL.  

I'm not rich, but I'm hardly broke, so maybe every two weeks.  Hmm....who knows.  lol

Thanks CraigL, as always!
Great edit, Bob.

Google it.

www.google.com
Scottler
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Smoke2much » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:10 pm

I looked into this a few months ago.  After spending some time with an instructor discussing these issues I came to a realisation.  How serious am I about getting a PPL?  The answer is very.  He suggested that a minimum of one hour a week is required to complete the course and get the license anywhere close to the 40 hours.  Current prices in the UK show that I would need to have approximately
Who switched the lights off?
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Postby OTTOL » Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:02 pm

Perhaps this has been asked, so if so, my apologies.

With my instruction beginning tomorrow (still hoping on the weather), I'm curious...how long should I wait between lessons?
We have covered this topic several times recently, but what does it hurt to re-hash? My strong point HERE is real world flying experience, but as I have flately stated before, my minipulation of the COMPUTER is accomplished with a sledge hammer! I find it extremely annoying when I ask a computer related question, and someone answers with a "check the topics from previous six months, we already covered this!" When someone asks a question about an approach plate or chart I don't say "It's real simple figure it out!!", I would expect the same courtesy at the other end!! >:(
Now, with that RANT over :)...As a former CFI at a 141 school, I have seen that the best, and cheapest method(if you have the time and ALL of the money), is to fly 2-4 days a week, and no more than two hour flights. I had foreign students that flew two flights a DAY,6-7 days a week, that were NOT overwhelmed by the amount of flying. I WOULD recommend that you do start slow though, just to find a groove and get situated(or acclimitized, as you well know they like to say in the Marine Corps! :) )
If you give one company the whole lot they could go bust, turn out to be criminals or ................
 Absolutely, don't--- DO NOT!!! buy "block time", I've seen it happen often, where people loose money this way, when the company goes "tets-up". The best advice I can give, is make good use of the "non-flying" time. Flying the airplane is the easy part, because it doesn't take much motivation to hop in an airplane and go flying, when you love planes! I hear too many new pilots say " I haven't flown in three months, so I haven't bothered studying either!" WRONG!!!! Big wrong, bad student!! BAAAAD!!!   The more prep you do on the ground, the less time you will pay for that overpriced instructor and airplane! Good luck Scott, I just checked the WSI, and theres a dominant high pressure over the great lakes, with the exception of early morning fog, upstate NY should have good flying weather. Have Fun! :D
.....so I loaded up the plane and moved to Middle-EEEE..........OIL..that is......
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Postby Craig. » Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:25 pm

ground revision is something i always keep up with, i have a couple of text books i  make sure i read at least once a month. when i was at work i would always read one of them during my lunch break. the first lesson its not such a big thing but once you start the main lessons, and you need to do a review of what you learned, and have to use it again, those books really help:)
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mr. Bones » Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:39 pm

don't spent too much time between two flight when you are still learning...you'll be flying solo much faster when you do lets say two flights a day instead of one a month...you'll pick up the skills much faster when you practice more intensively!  ;)
Raw power...the J-58.

My Anet collection.
Mr. Bones
Major
Major

Postby Rifleman » Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:25 pm

I have one interesting little bit of input on this subject, and I don't want to sound like a wet sock on it, but after all the costs of flight training are over as you now hold your PPL.........will this lead to more endorsements so you can work in the industry,  or is it the end of the line for you ?

How frequently are you going to be able to afford to fly ?......will it be easy or hard for you to arrange rental (too expensive? or can you justify it ?)......I have seen a few of my friends get their ticket only to realize that the cost of upkeep and flying is too high and they let it slide quite soon after acquiring it, due to the cost of rental and the inability to buy their own A/C.............
Heck, I even have a friend who flies for Air Can and he bought a 1/3 share in a Cessna 172, and is now contemplating selling out and getting an ultralight so he can afford to fly as frequently as his schedule permits....the 172 isn't cheap, even with his financial position ?
Last edited by Rifleman on Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Real Aviation