New small jet by Eclipse Aviation

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

New small jet by Eclipse Aviation

Postby DougC-3 » Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:34 am

CNN ran a short piece yesterday about the new small twin engine jet being built by Eclipse Aviation, I believe, in New Mexico.  It was shown at Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

It will cost about $850,000 and will compete with the Cessna Citation CJ-I ($4,000,000 :o).  Its little 85 lb. engines were designed for Cruise Missiles, and it uses "off the shelf" computer components to provide a control system "rivaling that of the Boeing 777."  

The Eclipse Aviation CEO, Raburn, was 18th in command at Microsoft, if I understood correctly.  I've been trying to search CNN to get more info on this, but I haven't been able to get their site to work right lately for some reason.

The first test flight will be in two weeks.  Normally I'm not intrested in business jets, but this is a cute little sucker ;D.
Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
--- William Sloan Coffin (and many others)
DougC-3
Major
Major

Re: New small jet by Eclipse Aviation

Postby Northwest 102 » Sun Jul 28, 2002 1:33 pm

Are you just hearing about thie new jet now?  They've been developing this aircraft for years now.  My uncle thought about buying one for his business.

MIKE (KingairB200)
Fly D E L T A/NORTHWEST AIRLINES!
Northwest 102
Major
Major

Postby Bf-109E_Pilot » Sun Jul 28, 2002 11:03 pm

Thats old news bud I was at Oshkosh EAA 2002 just gt back today. All I can say was DAMn it was fun, the Eclipse 500 has been in development for years and is due out 2004 which is the next open spot for the waiting list to get one, also that is when my mom's boyfriend is putting his name on the list to get one.I cant wait  :)
Bf-109E_Pilot
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Cute?

Postby Scorpiоn » Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:10 am

Are there pictures of this thing?
The Devil's Advocate.
Scorpiоn
Major
Major

Postby Felix/FFDS » Mon Jul 29, 2002 8:29 pm

For anyone who's interested.

Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby DougC-3 » Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:03 pm

[quote]Are you just hearing about thie new jet now?
Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
--- William Sloan Coffin (and many others)
DougC-3
Major
Major

Postby Bf-109E_Pilot » Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:10 pm

Here are a few pictures of this beautiful machine.

For more ifo go here:
http://www.eclipseaviation.com/
Last edited by Bf-109E_Pilot on Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bf-109E_Pilot
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Jaffa » Tue Jul 30, 2002 6:31 pm

And when is someone building one for FS? ::) ;D
Jaffa
Major
Major

Postby Bf-109E_Pilot » Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:34 pm

Search at AVSIm theres one there not to high quality but its pretty nice, black and gold though.
Bf-109E_Pilot
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Blade » Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:47 pm

jeez, that cockpit really puts the meaning on a glass cockpit, there isnt one analog gague on it, looks more like a VC from FS2002 lol  ;)

Dell 4550
P4 2.53Ghz
512MB DDR SDRAM
GeForceFX 5900 129MB
60GB HD @ 7200RPM
PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN
Blade
Major
Major

Postby Citationpilot » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:34 pm

Dumb idea. Here's what will happen. Low time people with money will buy a one and end up killing themselves. It'll be the next V-tail bonanza; a doctor killer. Sure this will help the econonamy but at what cost. People may say this isn't a real jet, but think about it below 10,000 250 is the speed limit, so that jet's just as fast as a Lear. You think a 300 hour pilot can handle a lear. Then why would you think they can handle an Eclipes or Safire.
Citationpilot
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Rifleman » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:23 am

Its funny how all the education of today has made everyone forget about the 19-20 yr old kids the had to learn how to fly and fight in "State of the Art" fighters back in WWII......all the kids took to it like ducks to water......Show me a Lear with the torque on take-off  which these kids had to learn to handle.......300 hrs for low time pilot ?......you can bet your bottom dollar that most of these P-47, P-51, F-4U pilots never had the grand opportunity to fly 300 hrs before getting in the air and fighting for their lives, never mind just doing ferry work of A to B flight............so what if todays planes have reaction power plants.....they all have wings and if you know how strong they are and how they work, whats the diff ?.......I'm not gettin at ya for anything but the attitude that a 300 hr low time pilot probably won't be able to handle a small biz-jet like this new one.......I think they will do fine..........
Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby OTTOL » Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:58 pm

Ewwww, I feel like I'm stepping in the middle of the OK corral on this topic, but, here goes!
Dumb idea. Here's what will happen. Low time people with money will buy a one and end up killing themselves. It'll be the next V-tail bonanza; a doctor killer. Sure this will help the econonamy but at what cost. People may say this isn't a real jet, but think about it below 10,000 250 is the speed limit, so that jet's just as fast as a Lear. You think a 300 hour pilot can handle a lear. Then why would you think they can handle an Eclipes or Safire.
This has been proven true time and time again. The Malibu is just another example!Just like the Bonanza, low-time pilots flying into IMC panicking, then loading up the airframe until it breaks in half! The Malibu was thought to be a flawed airplane, with the number that were initially falling out of the sky! Not great P.R. either, in an industry that is already taking a beating in this department!
Its funny how all the education of today has made everyone forget about the 19-20 yr old kids the had to learn how to fly and fight in "State of the Art" fighters back in WWII......all the kids took to it like ducks to water......Show me a Lear with the torque on take-off  which these kids had to learn to handle.......300 hrs for low time pilot ?......you can bet your bottom dollar that most of these P-47, P-51, F-4U pilots never had the grand opportunity to fly 300 hrs before getting in the air and fighting for their lives, never mind just doing ferry work of A to B flight............so what if todays planes have reaction power plants.....they all have wings and if you know how strong they are and how they work, whats the diff ?.......I'm not gettin at ya for anything but the attitude that a 300 hr low time pilot probably won't be able to handle a small biz-jet like this new one.......I think they will do fine.
Apples and Oranges! :P  Theres just no comparison! I tell people all the time," there is a reason the Lear is certified as a "two-pilot" airplane. I'll try to track you down next time I'm in the Vancouver area and give a ride, complete with (V1 cut). When you have an engine thrust moment of 3,000pounds, 5feet from the aircraft centerline, on only one side! Or how about an initial climb rate of 3,000-4,000fpm on a hot day, and upwards of 8,000 on a cold day. And that's just leaving the runway environment. You still have to make it back! At the Lears true airspeed of 440kts(that's 7.33 miles per minute!) You had better be WELL ahead of your game. A lot of EXPERIENCED pilots have crashed Learjets, just due to the loss of situational awareness. Do a Search for LJ35&Lebanon N.H. Can you say CFIT! And even if you do manage to have all of your ducks in a row, you fly a flawless flight, and a flawless approach, but at decision height .....oops no runway in sight...time to go to the alternate......A Lear 25 at sea level burns about 3500pph. That's about 60pounds-per-minute, or 9 gallons. The last time I checked, a Cherokee would burn that in an hour! So, do you try another approach, proceed to your alternate, you better think quick! :o
.....so I loaded up the plane and moved to Middle-EEEE..........OIL..that is......
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Postby Citationpilot » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:08 pm

[quote]Its funny how all the education of today has made everyone forget about the 19-20 yr old kids the had to learn how to fly and fight in "State of the Art" fighters back in WWII......all the kids took to it like ducks to water......Show me a Lear with the torque on take-off
Citationpilot
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Real Aviation