Reading Real-World Charts

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

Reading Real-World Charts

Postby zcottovision » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:54 pm

Hello Folks,

Ric B very kindly gave me a copy of charts for EGCC, and I've been trying to figure out how to read them. I've got most of it nailed apart from two things. The published SIDs (amongst others) contain lines like the following:

Ahead on MCT 056R, cross MCT 12d not before 4000 to MCT 14d then right to intcp WAL 084R....

Two questions:

What does the R stand for in "MCT 056R"? Is the reciprocal of the MCT VOR? Should the CRS be tuned to 56, or the reciprocal, 236?

What does the d stand for in "MCT 12d"? Is it 12 miles from the MCT VOR? If so, what does the d mean?
Last edited by zcottovision on Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zcottovision
Captain
Captain

Re: Reading Real-World Charts

Postby OTTOL » Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:34 pm

The "R" is for Radial. Your course can be dialed into 056 or 236, but your POSITION had better be on the 056 degree radial from the VOR. I have'nt referenced the plate your refering to, so I don't know if you are heading to or from the VOR, but if you're going to(while on the 056R)you should have 236 set on the OBS, if going away 056. This will give you proper sensing (as opposed to reverse). The "D" is for DME distance. The syntax is a little different than what I'm used to in the States, but I read the DME portion as saying; At 12DME from MCT-VOR you should be at or above 4000' and at 14DME from MCT, you need to make a right turn to intercept the WAL-VOR 084 degree radial. And again, if this is INBOUND to WAL, your course should be set to 264, or if this radial is joined, to be tracked AWAY from the station.......084. 8)
.....so I loaded up the plane and moved to Middle-EEEE..........OIL..that is......
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Re: Reading Real-World Charts

Postby zcottovision » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:10 am

Thanks, that just confirmed what I was thinking. The charts are marked as heading away from the MCT VOR and heading towards the WAL VOR, but it's all clear now.

Thanks!
zcottovision
Captain
Captain

Return to Real Aviation