What was your first trainning aircraft

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

Re: What was your first trainning aircraft

Postby tomahawk » Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:14 am

[quote]
"What's the range of your radio?"
If I can see it, I can control it.
"Yes, but how far exactly?"
Well, I've never been too concerned about that.
tomahawk
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Tequila Sunrise » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:29 pm

I'd deffinetly recomend Gliding ;D, engines, who neds em?
I flew the Grob Viking with 662 VGS at RN Condor and loved it ;D (first launch scared the S*** out of me though).
If someone with multiple personality disorder threatens suicide, is it a hostage situation?

Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee
Tequila Sunrise
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:09 pm

I'd deffinetly recomend Gliding ;D, engines, who neds em?
I flew the Grob Viking with 662 VGS at RN Condor and loved it ;D  

Compare Craig's Viking with the T.31 in my earlier reply.

Seems things have moved on a bit since my day.  ;D

(first launch scared the S*** out of me though).

Some things never change. I would describe it as exhilarating rather than scary. Loved every minute.
Oh to be 16 again. ;)

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:48 pm

Piper - PA-38 - Tomahawk.

Got my licence on it but still prefer anything else  ;D
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Iroquois » Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:41 pm

Does R/C aircraft count? If so my first was on a Hobbieco Superstar. I've sometimes felt like going over to the local airpark but lessons cost on average of $8,000, money that I just don't have.
[center]I only pretend to know what I'm talking about. Heck, that's what lawyers, car mechanics, and IT professionals do everyday. ;)
The Rig:
AMD Athlon XP2000+ Palomino, ECS K7S5A 3.1, 1GB PC2700 DDR, Geforce FX5200 128mb, SB Live P
Iroquois
Major
Major

Postby congo » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:13 am

Hagar's piccy above is of a Grob Twin Astir I believe.

My first Instructional flight was in one of these.
My thoughts......... If the Instructor has a heart attack or does something really stupid..... I can handle it! Might not be pretty, but I'll walk away!

I had been flying sims for thousands of hours before the first flight.

I shared time in my early training between the Grob (a high performance sailplane) and a Blanik L-13 (lower performance).

I found that by flying both aircraft in my early training (in all weather conditions), gave me a lot of confidence and verified what I had learned on simulators.

This had the side effect of my instructors believing I was over-confident when I actually had the ability.

I went solo after 10 hours of instruction and on reflection, this was only just enough time to be safe.

On my third solo, I was thermalling at cloudbase and realised I didn't know how to read the metric altimeter in the Blanik. I had always flown "seat of the pants" using angles, sound and judgement with occasional reference to the airspeed indicator for verification of launch and landing speeds.

I think soaring in sailplanes is one of the purest forms of flight because you fly an extremely efficient and controllable machine using weather as an energy source. I love it.
ImageMainboard: Asus P5K-Premium, CPU=Intel E6850 @ x8x450fsb 3.6ghz, RAM: 4gb PC8500 Team Dark, Video: NV8800GT, HDD: 2x1Tb Samsung F3 RAID-0 + 1Tb F3, PSU: Antec 550 Basiq, OS: Win7x64, Display: 24&
congo
Major
Major

Postby C » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:55 am

Congo,

to avoid confusion

In RAF speak the Grob 103 is know as the Viking (Grob 109 = Vigilant, Grob 115e = Tutor (plastic pig:D), which is far better than the RN's 115D Heron :-/).

Check out the nice DSB Design Viking... ;)

Charlie
Last edited by C on Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:00 pm

I shared time in my early training between the Grob (a high performance sailplane) and a Blanik L-13 (lower performance).

I found that by flying both aircraft in my early training (in all weather conditions), gave me a lot of confidence and verified what I had learned on simulators.

This had the side effect of my instructors believing I was over-confident when I actually had the ability.

I went solo after 10 hours of instruction and on reflection, this was only just enough time to be safe.

This shows the difference between now & 40 years ago. In June 1959 when I took my first gliding course on the T.31 it was somewhat different.
Minimum requirement before being allowed solo = 20 launches.
Qualify for A & B civil gliding licence = 3 solo flights.
Total = 23 launches.

I qualified in the minimum time on the second day of the 1 week course. I still have the licence although it is no longer valid. Unfortunately I lost my logbooks some time ago. Remember the average time for each flight was 2 1/2 minutes. 2 1/2 x 23 = 57 1/2 minutes.
Last edited by Hagar on Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby robbo1 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:58 pm

My first training aircraft was (and still is) a Cessna 172, however sadly, my first hands on flight experience was in a King Air C90...I was spoiled...the Cessna is so much slower than the King Air.
robbo1
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby congo » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:32 am

Hagar, I soloed in the L-13 Blanik, flight no. 41, so I guess my flights were about 15 minutes average. This included a few flights of over an hour. And we get about 1800' AGL on the winch launch which gives us a bit of time to find a thermal.
ImageMainboard: Asus P5K-Premium, CPU=Intel E6850 @ x8x450fsb 3.6ghz, RAM: 4gb PC8500 Team Dark, Video: NV8800GT, HDD: 2x1Tb Samsung F3 RAID-0 + 1Tb F3, PSU: Antec 550 Basiq, OS: Win7x64, Display: 24&
congo
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:04 pm

Hi Congo. That shows how things have changed since my day. Max altitude from a good launch was about 750 feet - if you we're lucky. Just enough for a circuit & landing. Great fun all the same. The last time I flew a glider was in a Grob 103 while on hoilday in Florida some 8 years ago. Took a trip for old times' sake. About 1 hour airborne from a 4,000 foot aero-tow. Quite a difference I can tell you.  ;)

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Northwest 102 » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:56 pm

My first lesson was in a Piper Comanche out of Flying Cloud field (KFCM) in Minnesota.  Part of an MAC community of airports including (KMSP), Minneapolis/St. Paul International.  I loved it even though it was a little complex for a training flight, retrac gear and all.  From there I flew a Piper Tomahawk twice, then on to 6 or so flights in a Piper Warrior II.  Other traing I have is one half hour in a tailwheel, Boeing Stearman, 2 summers ago.  Lastly, a few hours in a Beechcraft/Raytheon King Air B200 out of Anoka (KANE).

Mike

The only aircraft I flew in just for fun and could not count any time in is a Cessna Caravan on floats.
Fly D E L T A/NORTHWEST AIRLINES!
Northwest 102
Major
Major

Postby bricks4wings » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:58 pm

Nothing exotic here. Just your Basic 172R. I've only flown a "Traumahawk" once. I cant say that I enjoyed it near as much as the Skyhawk.
bricks4wings
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby chomp_rock » Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:46 am

Piper Pa-28-150
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
GeForce FX5200 256Mb
1GB DDR400 DC
Seagate 500Gb SATA-300 HDD
Windows XP Professional X64 Edition

That's right, I'm now using an AMD! I decided to give them another try and they
chomp_rock
Major
Major

Postby pliabos » Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:07 am

cessna 172 . and my instructor was a formal F-4 phantom pilot in the army.lol he was only looking out and listening engine, no altitude or speed needed for him (sorry about my english
Last edited by pliabos on Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
pliabos
Ground hog
Ground hog

PreviousNext

Return to Real Aviation