Most influential Aircraft

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

Re: Most influential Aircraft

Postby Oz » Sat May 31, 2003 6:28 am

when you read books, documents,... about the modern US bombers, you only get info about the B-1, B-2 and B-52...so i don't think they see the Nighthawk as a bomber.

Yep, cause of the Fighter designation. Like i said air force officials probably thought it didnt look like a bomber. Thats quite ironic though cause tha plane is armed with only 2 bombs. Hmm...im thinkin...maybe they but the F designation to prevent project workers from leaking out correct info and to lure off any 'rats' by thinkin it was gonna be a fighter at the construction stage. But unofficially it is basically and technically a bomber.
Oz
Captain
Captain

Postby Felix/FFDS » Sat May 31, 2003 6:38 am

You have a point there ....

and to many others, the best aircraft ever is that Labrador, Jolly Green Giant that plucked them out of the mountain, water, jungle, or that medevac that took a crash victim to the hospital... or the LearJet that rushed a still viable heart ....

To the people of Berlin,
a C54-R5D, named "Sprit of Freedom"
It brought them Food, Fuel and Hope in

x
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby C » Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:43 am

Mmm,

How about

Most influential prop bomber - DH Mosquito - carry the same load as B17 and helped to make night bombing far more accurate, and was the first bomber design to outrun the enemy, having no defensive armament - it was also made of wood therefore saving precious metal...

Jet bomber - Canberra - must be good 'cos the US built it under license, a sort of jet mossie...

Most influential prop fighter - VS Spitfire; did all the roles of P-47, fought in the most ferocious air battles of WW2 from 1939 - 1945, was a photo recce aircraft, low level attack aircraft, made the highest interception of ww2, carried beer into europe under its wings, became an advanced trainer after the war and above all else is far, far prettier than any other prop fighter. It came in nicer colours too... :)

Cheers

Charlie
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Craig. » Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:11 pm

i'm just going to say concorde as my head hurts to go into a detailed explination of each and every one:) you people seem to have more time on your hands than i do :P ;Dbut with concorde you have the fastest possible way for passengers across the atlantic, or did. theres nothing like it and dont say concordeski because if it was like concorde i would still be flying today, and if you were to ask anyone on the street to name it from a picture more people would get it right than any other plane(not fact just what i have read elsewhere)
ok maybe i do have to much time, and perhaps coffee to ;D
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby loomex » Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:59 am

Hmm...im thinkin...maybe they but the F designation to prevent project workers from leaking out correct info and to lure off any 'rats' by thinkin it was gonna be a fighter at the construction stage. But unofficially it is basically and technically a bomber.

The whole issue on the F-117 is brought on by the disinformation the military uses. First of all, your right, it is a bomber, however the F-111, and the F-105 were used as bombers so maybe it should be called the FB-117. The second point is this...why is it called the F-117? In 1962 DOD had re-designed the numering system for aircraft  to make it more uniformed between the sevices. Any new aircraft would start with 1. The last number under the old system for fighters was the F-110 AKA the F-4.

Most infuential aircraft is any aircraft that has been designed and/or built. I know its leaves it wide open, but if I must choose it would be the Wright Flyer also
Last edited by loomex on Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) ,2.70 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X6 1045T(6-core), two HD (1TB and 500GB), 8gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5570,
loomex
Major
Major

Postby pliabos » Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:06 am

After flying for about three hours, while still nearly 100 miles from Hiroshima, he and his pilot saw a great cloud of smoke from the bomb. In the bright afternoon, the remains of Hiroshima were burning.
Tokyo's first knowledge of what had really caused the disaster came from the White House public announcement in Washington sixteen hours after Hiroshima had been hit by the atomic bomb.
:-/
it was a b-29 ;the most infuluential aircraft .
.influented millions
Last edited by pliabos on Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
pliabos
Ground hog
Ground hog

Previous

Return to Real Aviation