What was the first plane you remember seeing?

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

Re: What was the first plane you remember seeing?

Postby SyPrO_CaStEr » Wed May 01, 2002 2:57 am

:( looks like i'm the youngist hare :(
i'm 15! & saw my first plane about 11 or 12 years ago... and you people saw your one about 30 or 40 years ago!...

hay Mushroom Farmer, what kinda old Air Force jet was it ? ;D or was it unreconizible since thows danm hooligans striped it of it's pride?
lol
SyPrO_CaStEr

Postby Mushroom_Farmer » Wed May 01, 2002 3:33 am

hay Mushroom Farmer, what kinda old Air Force jet was it ?

It was either an F-86 or an F-84. I don't recall that far back. I remember it had a nose intake, single engine. I don't remember whether the wings were swept or not. I was so small, I could barely climb into the durned thing. :) :) ;D ;D It was at a park near Brownsburg, IN. USA. It's probably Mountain Dew cans now.

"We're just sitting here trying to put our PCjrs in a pile and burn them. And the damn things won't burn. That's the only thing IBM did right with it - they made i
Mushroom_Farmer
Major
Major

Postby Whitey » Wed May 01, 2002 10:54 am

looks like i'm the youngist hare  
i'm 15! & saw my first plane about 11 or 12 years ago

Nope, I'm only 14! ;) ;) ;) ;)
Whitey
Major
Major

Postby TailWind » Fri May 03, 2002 6:18 pm

Nope, I'm only 14! ;) ;) ;) ;)

I guess it only makes sense that I am 13 years old.

The first plane I saw was a 747 when I was nine months old. The first I remember is a 727. I was driving by the aerodrome and I saw it take off, Ididn't really know how or why bu I fell in love with planes from that day on...
The beginning doesn't matter. All that matters is where you end up.
TailWind
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby RichieB16 » Sat May 04, 2002 10:08 pm

For me, it was probably a Boeing 737.  I have lived about a mile or 2 from the airport in my hometown my entire life and it always has 737's taking off and landing.
RichieB16
Major
Major

Postby llll_Ace_llll » Wed May 08, 2002 7:50 pm

I remember the first plane I saw was actually at the first airshow I went to.  Then I was at the tender age of 4. I remember walking across the airfeild with my grandpa when a pair of F-104 Starfighters flew over doing a low level pass.  I still vividly remember hearing the rumble of jets heading toward me then becoming suddenly louder as they passed overhead (absofreakinlutly exhilerating  :D ).  I guess that moment is what made me love aviation from that point forward.
llll_Ace_llll
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Thu May 09, 2002 2:25 pm

The first planes I saw was in 1939 when running home from school in South London dodging the German bombers
Last edited by Fozzer on Thu May 09, 2002 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Tequila Sunrise » Mon May 20, 2002 8:55 am

Get this. Im 15 years old and Scottish, yet the first plane I saw was a R.C.A.F. F101 Voodoo.
If someone with multiple personality disorder threatens suicide, is it a hostage situation?

Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee
Tequila Sunrise
Major
Major

Postby Grumpy1 » Mon May 20, 2002 9:50 am

I'm just a sprog compared with Fozzer.  ;D
Although I've lived near an airport all my life the first aircraft I actually remember seeing was at the old Gatwick Airport. I believe it was the first post-WWII SBAC display. My Dad took me when I was 5 or 6 years old but I'm not sure of the exact date. Late 40s or early 50s.
Yes I was young once. My Dad has a lot to answer for. LOL

The aircraft was a B-17. It looked huge to me & dwarfed the tiny aircraft parked underneath. This was a one-off designed & built by the apprentices at Lockeed Aircraft Corp. It was so small the pilot flew it from the prone position strapped head-first on top of the the fuselage.The rudder pedals were near the tail. I've never seen a pic of this aircraft & don't remember the name. Maybe Felix can help.  ???
Need help? Try Grumpy's Lair http://www.simviation.com/lair/index.htm
The degree of failure is in direct proportion to the effort expended and the need for success.
Sod's Law
Grumpy1
Major
Major

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Mon May 20, 2002 9:57 am

i'm 14, so i'm not that old.
the first plane i saw would have been the 737 i flew to norway in when i was 1. however the first plane i really remember is a tiger moth that flew right over our car while taking off ;)
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Bazza » Wed May 22, 2002 9:12 pm

My first recollection is of a Tiger Moth - my Dad paid for me to have a flight when I was about 7.     After that I can remember being allowed out of our classrooms to see a Vampire Jet come over and later a Canberra Bomber.   Time flys ?
Bazza

Postby DougC-3 » Wed May 22, 2002 11:13 pm

I envy you guys with early Tiger Moth experiences.  We don't get those around here.  I don't believe de Havilland ever made an aircraft that wasn't loaded with character.
Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
--- William Sloan Coffin (and many others)
DougC-3
Major
Major

Postby Wespennest » Fri May 24, 2002 6:16 pm

The first plane I "saw" was a piedmont airlines 737. Granted, I was about 8 months old, but there's a picture of me looking at the plane and drooling. Prophetic, I guess, because I still do that :)

The one that sticks out in my mind the most is the B-1 that decided to do a few low, lazy circles over my high school during marching band practice. I've always wondered what exactly those guys were doing.
Wespennest
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Loafing Smurf » Sun May 26, 2002 9:24 pm

I remember I was on a flight on a 747 when I was 6. Even more suprising it was my uncle flying the plane, so my mom told the stewardess to tell the captain that his sister is onboard. So, when she came back the stewardess took me into the cockpit.

If I become a commercial pilot,  I would take a kid in the cockpit on every flight.
Loafing Smurf
Major
Major

Postby loafpilot72 » Sun May 26, 2002 10:11 pm

Having lived off the end of Carswell AFB in the late 50s I believe the first plane that really made an impression as the first plane I had ever seen it would have to be A GREAT BIG ole B-36. Talk about loud. One dropped an airspeed calibration instrument through the roof of Brewer High school about 3 Miles from where I lived. I think it was the only thing they ever dropped from the plane. The next frightening thing was the B-58 I met some pilots years later and boy do they have some stories to tell about that screamer.
If you hate somebody you're only hurting yourself, cause 90% of the people don't know it ,and the other 10% don,t care.
loafpilot72
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Real Aviation