Longest serving a/c type in the RAF?

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

Longest serving a/c type in the RAF?

Postby Felix/FFDS » Thu May 08, 2003 7:43 am

Out of curiosity, what is the a/c type in continuous service with the RAF?
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Longest serving a/c type in the RAF?

Postby Hagar » Thu May 08, 2003 8:02 am

Without checking my facts I would think the EE Canberra fits the bill. I'm not sure if a few examples remain in service.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Felix/FFDS » Thu May 08, 2003 8:12 am

nope.

It's got props, it's older, and RAF still has 4 ..... (or 2 or so .... I'm not picky)

The RAF still has in its rolls two types that entered service in the late '30s ....

Without checking my facts I would think the EE Canberra fits the bill. I'm not sure if a few examples remain in service.
Last edited by Felix/FFDS on Thu May 08, 2003 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Craig. » Thu May 08, 2003 8:31 am

is this one of those you know the answer we guess? because after research the closest thing i could find to oldest is def the canberra which was 1962.
then hercules
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Thu May 08, 2003 8:33 am

nope.

It's got props, it's older, and RAF still has 4 ..... (or 2 or so .... I'm not picky)

The BBMF operates a C-47 Dakota (built in 1942) although I'm not sure this counts or if it's been in continual service.  ::)

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Felix/FFDS » Thu May 08, 2003 8:42 am

Didn't the Spitfire and Hurricane enter service in the '30s?  :)

Note that I didn't say "AGE" of the aircraft, rather a/c type ...

[quote]
The BBMF operates a C-47 Dakota (built in 1942) although I'm not sure this counts or if it's been in continual service.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Hagar » Thu May 08, 2003 8:47 am

This was a trick question........as usual. I demand a recount..............!  :P  :D

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Felix/FFDS » Thu May 08, 2003 9:10 am

Moi?  I would NEVER make a trick question ...

[quote]This was a trick question........as usual. I demand a recount..............!
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby HawkerTempest5 » Thu May 08, 2003 9:12 am

The longest serving plane in the RAF is Hawker Hurricane MkIIc LF363. It was built in 1944 but crashed in 1991 and did not fly again for 7 years.
Flying Legends
HawkerTempest5
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Thu May 08, 2003 10:13 am

As a matter of interest.
THE CANBERRAS OF 39 SQUADRON
The Winged Bomb

Aircraft : Five PR.9s, four T.4s and two PR.7s

Although the Canberra holds the prize for the longest serving aircraft in current RAF operational service, it still provides a unique strategic reconnaissance capability unmatched by any other platform. Currently the IPT is managing a number of programmes that are aimed at enhancing the operational capability of the Canberra fleet whilst ensuring that the RAF achieves value for money. http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~lesb/39.html

On its entry into service at RAF Binbrook in 1951, the B.2 Canberra was considered to be the replacement bomber for the RAF's Avro Lincolns and B-29 Washington B-1s. http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~lesb/canb02.html

I'm not sure the BBMF aircraft qualify or that they have been in continuous service.
Last edited by Hagar on Thu May 08, 2003 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Felix/FFDS » Thu May 08, 2003 11:18 am

I agree that it's picking nits as to the BBMF aircraft.  In the (current?) issue of Air Forces Monthly, there's a listing of "current aircraft in the RAF" and the BBMF a/c are included.  One of the PR Spits was flown by various units, until 1957, and from there transferred to the historical flight.  I understand that the last Hurricane went straight to such a flight.

Granted that the BBMF is a special unit and not a "front line" combat duties a/c of the RAF, but my justification of the longest serving aircraft type(s) in the RAF being either the Spit or the Hurricane is based on picking that nit.

For that matter, it's like asking "What is the longest serving ship in the US Navy?"  .... USS Constitution - going on almost 200 years of service ...  I'm quite sure that there must be such examples in armed forces all over the world.

[quote]As a matter of interest.

I'm not sure the BBMF aircraft qualify or that they have been in continuous service.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Hagar » Thu May 08, 2003 12:40 pm

[quote]I agree that it's picking nits as to the BBMF aircraft.............. but my justification of the longest serving aircraft type(s) in the RAF being either the Spit or the Hurricane is based on picking that nit.

For that matter, it's like asking "What is the longest serving ship in the US Navy?"
Last edited by Hagar on Thu May 08, 2003 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Sun May 11, 2003 4:08 am

Hmmm, tough one, if we include the evolution of the aircraft then probably the Manchester/Lancaster/Shackelton could make it onto the list, as one evolved from the other?

Ozzy
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Felix/FFDS » Sun May 11, 2003 8:12 am

The Spitfire and Hurricane would still win out... they're older "types" than the Lancaster (which is still on the RAF rolls with the BBMF)

Hmmm, tough one, if we include the evolution of the aircraft then probably the Manchester/Lancaster/Shackelton could make it onto the list, as one evolved from the other?

Ozzy
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Hot Charlie » Mon May 19, 2003 1:23 pm

I'd suspect the longest continaul service of any aircraft in the RAF is DHC Chipmunk WK518, which was delivered in Jan 52 (prototype flew 1946), and it appears to be in continuous use ever since, OR Spitfire XIX PM631, which never became a gate guardian (but was leased to Shorts). All of the other BBMF types have been out of RAF service at some point, Dakota was serving with the RCAF 'til 1971.

If you talk about type than it would probably be the Hurricane, as I'm sure LF363 and PZ865's service overlaps.

It's a complicated one isn't it...

Cheers

Charlie
Hot Charlie

Next

Return to Real Aviation