Air Force and hair cuts

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

Air Force and hair cuts

Postby Oz » Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:32 pm

Im curious, do Air Force personell (that includes pilots) have to go bald? I can understand why they do it in the Army, but how bout in the Air Force?
Oz
Captain
Captain

Re: Air Force and hair cuts

Postby Craig. » Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:22 pm

you know i am not 100% sure on this either. i know you gotta have it chopped short but how short i dont know.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

.Re: Air Force and hair cuts

Postby Tequila Sunrise » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:15 am

I think in basic you have to have a crew cut but afterwards you just have to keep it short, not ridiculously short though
If someone with multiple personality disorder threatens suicide, is it a hostage situation?

Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee
Tequila Sunrise
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:39 pm

I got back-to-the-wood when I entered the RAF, after that, the back and sides had to be reasonably short and tidy, how much you had on top was your problem. Mind you I had a serious carrier deck of a flat-top! Always liked it short. ;D

Ozzy
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SilverFox441 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:01 am

There were two dress codes in the Canadian Forces...the one in the book (the same for all elements and used for parades) and the one that was applied day-day.

The day-day standard would vary based on how much trouble you were in...how much they needed your cooperation for something and what mood the SCWO (Squadron Chief Warrant Officer) and BCWO (Base Chief Warrant Officer) were in.

I remember a couple of times that I got growled at for having hair that was too close to the top of my collar...and other times when the SWO (same as SCWO) would make a joke about standing on my hair. :)

The best was one day when the SWO was told to find someone for Base Duties on the weekend. I walked past with hair touching my collar and got pinched. Before the SWO got around to telling me the bad news a Captain walked past with hair below the bottom of his collar. The SWO and I both looked at the Capt's hair and I was excused. As I walked away I could hear the familiar growl of a very annoyed senior NCO asking the Capt if he had plans for the weekend.

Can an enlisted man ruin an officer's weekend? He can if he is at the highest rank of NCO available (the only higher postions are not rank differences but appointements) and the officer is sufficiently junior. :)
SilverFox441

Postby ozzy72 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:09 am

Fair one SilverFox. Nice to see ruperts getting it in the neck!

Ozzy ;D
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tequila Sunrise » Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:34 pm

Rupert=officer?
If someone with multiple personality disorder threatens suicide, is it a hostage situation?

Tequila Sunrise
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:01 pm

Correct Craig, the lowest form of life known to NCOs. Most of them can't walk and talk simultaneously!

Ozzy :P
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby chauvan » Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:44 pm

If you are asking about the US Air Force then AFI 36-2903 states that the top bulk must be no higher than 11/2 inches and must not touch the collar or the ears.  Side burns must be no lower than the ear hole and the whole thing must have a tapered apperance.  High and tights (the classic army crew cut are technically not authorized, but most look away on that one).

I normally get a 'skin, high fade'.  Which is basically the high and tight with a slight taper and length on top.  How ironic I found this thread... in about an hour I'm going to go get my ears lowered.   ;D
chauvan
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby N505AF » Thu May 15, 2003 11:39 pm

Im curious, do Air Force personell (that includes pilots) have to go bald? I can understand why they do it in the Army, but how bout in the Air Force?
Ha im in the USAF right now and I have hair, at BMT dont count on haveing any.
Last edited by N505AF on Thu May 15, 2003 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N505AF
Captain
Captain

Postby Felix/FFDS » Fri May 16, 2003 5:37 am

You're biased - my son can walk and talk simultaneously, and has earned the respect of his NCOs ...  so I take it he's not in your "most" category?

Correct Craig, the lowest form of life known to NCOs. Most of them can't walk and talk simultaneously!

Ozzy :P
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby N505AF » Fri May 16, 2003 1:28 pm

Felix/FFDS and the rest of the guys that have been on here for ever should remember who I am, not by name but the N505AF should jump right out at everyone!!!
see if this help people remember who I am...
N505AF
Captain
Captain

Postby Tequila Sunrise » Fri May 16, 2003 6:47 pm

howz it going mate

Tequila Sunrise
Major
Major

Postby Oz » Fri May 16, 2003 6:59 pm

whoa i havent even been here in a while, thought this post was a gonner
Last edited by Oz on Fri May 16, 2003 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oz
Captain
Captain

Postby N505AF » Fri May 16, 2003 10:43 pm

Hows it going CrazyCraig!!!  Long time no C...  All right Oz heres the deal with the USAF.  Its a kick ass job!!!!  But there is still bad things about it (keep in mind what I think is bad you might not).   I had to work 12 hour shifts for two weeks with no weekends off, good part we were given three day weekends for the next two weeks.  If you have a low rank you might get some of the jobs that no one wants to do, suck it up and do the best job you can becouse some one is always watching.  Really the good out way the bad in the AF, NCO's are always willing to help you out no matter what and a lot of the officers are cool as hell.  Our medical plans are out of this world (mine is free).  Our food is great and its free.  I have 36 college credits for less that 6 months of schooling ( my job on the out side take two to four years of schooling and cost over $150,000).  If you want to know more IM me or just use the forums im here to help.
N505AF
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to Real Aviation