Boeing 737-800s will be modified to add 12 more Seats

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

Re: Boeing 737-800s will be modified to add 12 more Seats

Postby C » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:04 am

Bofredrik wrote:If you compare 737-800 and 737 MAX WHAT is the difference in the cockpit systems?
I have seen people talking about the engines only but that is something else, is it not?
RIP to crew and pax on both Lion and Ethiopian :(

Very little. The Type Rating is common to other NG 737. The MCAS system is new, and was the root of the Lion Air crash. It can be disabled manually if it malfunctions, but it is down to the airlines to ensure their crews are suitably briefed and made aware of the pitfalls of the system. I believe at least one of the major UK operators of the type did so post Lion Air.

If this is another MCAS issue that the crew have been unable to respond correctly to, I’d start being very selective about with whom I fly.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Bofredrik » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:47 am

Thank you for the answer Colonel! :!:
Bofredrik
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby C » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:26 pm

I stand corrected in this case. It appears the Ethiopian crew did exactly what they should have done in attempting to save the aircraft.

Unfortunately this could all have been avoided perhaps. MCAS was installed partly to ensure common enough handling characteristics between the re-engined 737Max series and the legacy 737 NG series to allow a single type rating, as Airbus have been able to do with the A320 and A320Neo. Sadly the basic 737 aircraft configuration is 2 decades older than that of the A320 and was designed around very small engines, which led to the "flat bottomed" CFM installation on the 300-500 and NG, and now the far different installation with the far larger LEAP engines which is the root issue causing the MCAS installation.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby nthnyds » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:23 am

Hi. I am in South Africa and what we have heard is that the new bigger engines on the 737 Max8 have upset the c.o.g of the aircraft so that there is a tendency to have a nose up attitude. The sensor that is mentioned is to evaluate this nose up attitude and in the event that the computer believes the aircraft is in a stall attitude, the computer forces the nose of the aircraft down. Obviously during take off and climb out the aircraft is in a nose up attitude. Apparently the sensor was sending conflicting information to the computer and continually forcing the aircraft nose down. The pilots were following the procedure indicted by Boeing but were unable to correct the problem and the aircraft eventually nosed into the grown at high speed.
It also appears that the FAA left Boeing to "self regulate" the airworthiness of this aircraft.
nthnyds
Ground hog
Ground hog

Previous

Return to Real Aviation