UK Airfields proposed closures.

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

UK Airfields proposed closures.

Postby Fozzer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:37 am

The list:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43841401

Reminds me of the years of my "flight simming" around these long-closed, historical airfields in the USA....>>>

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/

Once closed, never to be re-opened again!

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: UK Airfields proposed closures.

Postby C » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:01 pm

Poor journalism from the BBC (what a surprise)! At least 7 have been "closed" as military airfields and have had no regular use in 25 years - in the case of Molesworth its runways were dug up and replaced with bunkers in the 1950s or 60s! The sites however are for disposal, which is sad, particularly timewarp gems such as Henlow and Halton, which are essentially still pre-war grass fields!

They'll all look good as identikit housing estates in the middle of nowhere though. :?
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:32 am

A similar experience after the closure of many of our British Railway systems in 1965...>>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeching_cuts

Suddenly, a vast number of our familiar railways were closed down, abandoned, lost and forgotten, and built over, never to be resurrected again.

I spend many hours travelling the local countryside on my Motorcycle, tracing and exploring the routes of these long-lost railways which I fondly remember from my past in the 1940's and 1950's.

Parts of our heritage now buried under concrete!

It's always a sad time when once familiar things are lost forever!

Paul.... :( ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby 511Flyer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:44 am

I was stationed at RAF Colerne for 4 years as an airframe mech on 511 sqdn flying HP Hastings. I was very happy there. Sad to see it close when the Hastings went out of service.

It was taken over by the army, and became Azimgur Barracks. We held our squadron reunions there for several years, and the army allowed us to stay in the officers mess overnight.

The airfield stayed open, and was used by the Bristol University Air Squadron flying Grob Tutors. They will have to find a new home.

Den.
511Flyer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:45 am

511Flyer wrote:I was stationed at RAF Colerne for 4 years as an airframe mech on 511 sqdn flying HP Hastings. I was very happy there. Sad to see it close when the Hastings went out of service.

It was taken over by the army and became Azimgur Barracks. We held our squadron reunions there for several years, and the army allowed us to stay in the officers mess overnight.

The airfield stayed open and was used by the Bristol University Air Squadron flying Grob Tutors. They will have to find a new home.

Den.

Hello Den... :D ...!

I suspect that both you and I have long memories of times long ago when the World was a totally different place, and now unknown and un-experienced to our new brood of Simviators, etc, etc....!

Paul...so many happy memories!.... ;) .... ;) ....!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby 511Flyer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:21 pm

Hi Paul. I think that we've been fortunate to live through those particular years. The strides in aviation especially have been spectacular. Although we endured WW11 and nightly bombing from the Luftwaffe!

The Man in the Moon was a nursery rhyme! So was Humpty Dumpty, but he never happened.

I'd better not get started, or else I'll be still here typing this time tomorrow.

Do I hear violins?
511Flyer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Real Aviation