Shoreham Pilot to be charged

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

Shoreham Pilot to be charged

Postby Shadowcaster » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:12 pm

All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Re: Shoreham Pilot to be charged

Postby GripenFlyer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:20 am

Interesting news... I'm actually a little bit on the fence about this :think:

There's a lot of talk around the speed and altitude at which he entered the loop, so if it's pilot error then bring him up on charges, but on the other side of the fence then... not really sure if this is a fair outcome, unless the pilot admits to wrong doing :think:

GF
GripenFlyer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby C » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:07 pm

GripenFlyer wrote:Interesting news... I'm actually a little bit on the fence about this :think:

There's a lot of talk around the speed and altitude at which he entered the loop, so if it's pilot error then bring him up on charges, but on the other side of the fence then... not really sure if this is a fair outcome, unless the pilot admits to wrong doing :think:

GF

There was a lot of noise and whinging about how it would take so long to report, have and inquest, "get justice" etc. Even the Police (incorrectly) tried to force the AAIB to release information before they had conducted their formal, thorough report. Thankfully the Police did not get their way, but the report made it clear that the aeroplane crashed, in all probability, due to pilot error.

Fair or not, if the evidence points to the pilot operating negligently (low, outside manoeuvre "parameters/gates" and without escaping from the manoeuvre), with intent or not, it is difficult to see any other outcome. Was it fair to the 11 people who were on the ground (and their families and loved ones) when the otherwise apparently perfectly serviceable aeroplane ploughed into them?
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Nighthawk117 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:11 pm

An unfortunate accident caused by forgetting what plane you are flying. I hope the families can at least have some closure knowing the the reason their loved ones perished. An unfortunate accident indeed, a life lesson for all who climb into the cockpit always know your surroundings and never forget what you are flying.
Nighthawk117
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Real Aviation