1968: the Spirit of Santa Paula

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

1968: the Spirit of Santa Paula

Postby Jean Loup » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:29 pm

1968 was a dire year thanks to "Cold War", here in México & behind "The Iron Curtain" as well. I was just appointed shop manager at Organización VW Mexicana (OVMEX) , and had to instruct my 25 humans on how to perform as a team. To give them some incentive & pride in the VW organisation (bossed by racist ex-Hitlerjugend), I briefly introduced myself as non-racist German & admirer of mexican ancient cultures, also pointing out that if Germany was lifting itself from the WW II disaster (and WW I) thanks in great part to the humble VW Sedan we were fixing daily, powered by an even humbler motor of 36 Hp.

Then Mira Slovak decided to cross the Atlantic with a glider powered by this humble engine. Completely forgoten today even though he died recently in 2004: Daredevil pilot Mira Slovak, who escaped Iron Curtain during Cold War, dies at 84.

Next photo portraits his daring feat. Notice the ¿safety equipment? Mira loaded in his build in Germany frail aircraft, exploded over the wing:

A photo of VW engine maintenance (sealing the exhaust pipes it seems to me) by his friend Charlie Webber:

The flight as told by Mira Slovak himself: THiRTY-SiX HORSEPOWER OVER THE ATLANTiC

The Club's opinion: Club Fournier International-America - The Plain Dealer May 26 1968

I have recently downloaded a model of RF4-D from here (after pestering Pete with the no download thing Gracias PETE!!) because I intend to use my Copy/Paste abilities for reproducing this very livery & (weather permiting!!) fly this forgoten aereal feat. The aircraft specs:

(The original image is too big for Pete's sake, so if the blurries atack details, go to http://www.cfiamerica.com/images/Fournier-rf4d-brochure.jpg)

Will post screenshots after completing this livery, Jean
<<t
...LiCENSE & REGiSTRATiON !!
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Re: 1968: the Spirit of Santa Paula

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:04 pm

I'm left wordless. :clap: :clap: :clap:
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Jean Loup » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:33 pm

OldAirmail wrote:I'm left wordless. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now view this modern video: RF-4 Aerobatics :whistle: dancing with a 36 Hp VW 1200cc motor...
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby Jean Loup » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:58 pm

Jean Loup wrote:...Will post screenshots after completing this livery, Jean
<<t

Faster said & proposed, tan done! :snooty: It seems this is really a forgoten feat, except for sailplane entusiasts & aerobatic teams. After Searching, Googling, Yahooing, Binging and what not-ing, the closer photographic detail I unearthed is this one:

Do not know what's the ruder emblem but it is fairly clear. Also the logo under the rear trim before the elevator, is a manufacture simbol. The shield after the cockpit seems to be some kind of Checoslovak coat of arms, but me not finding it at all!! :doh: :doh: :doh: The scriblings following that shield do not worry me, because they were done after this aircraft crash-landed at Santa Paula's arrival. :roll:
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:52 pm

You didn't google N1700. :D

Lots of pictures. You should find something useful.

Most of the pictures that I found have nothing behind the USA shield - http://cfiamerica.com/kuppers.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=aircraf ... 9737071201

http://sbeaver.com/cgi-bin/fournier/cut ... hread=1052

http://www.cfiamerica.com/slovak.html

This is very long, but N1700 is here along with LOTS of pictures of the engine - http://cfiamerica.com/kuppers.html

.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Jean Loup » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:12 pm

OldAirmail wrote:You didn't google N1700. :D
Lots of pictures. You should find something useful.

Most of the pictures that I found have nothing behind the USA shield

there it is, in pic N° ONE, yet not in others. Maybe added in the return flight. When in doubt, not to be included. I also found the fuselage registration fonts, so back at work. Maybe MAÑANA will finish :dance: :dance: :dance:

Meanwhile I have been flying the Simviation version, at CNK4 with cold weather (a termal seeker in COLD WEATHER? :doh: ) and gave quite a show under that rain (not in the plain nor in Spain):

Gracias OldAirmail :clap: :clap: :clap:
<<t
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby Flying Trucker » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:05 am

Thanks Jean Loup... <<q

If I remember correctly there was an article in the AOPA or COPA Magazine or perhaps the Flying Magazine...can't remember which, way back when...

It is always nice to read articles like this and it brings back memories that many of us have forgot...again thanks for posting the read... :clap:
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Real Aviation