Wing Clouds

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

Wing Clouds

Postby pilotwin7 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:14 am

Awesome!!! :o :o Unreal scene. :o Absolutely, Amazing video.. :clap: So beautiful :whistle: :dance: :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1c-O0qWQBQ[/youtube]
pilotwin7
Major
Major

Re: Wing Clouds

Postby Roypcox » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:32 am

Absolutely outstanding!!!
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby FlexibleFlier » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:31 am

Fascinating. I found it particularly interesting that "wingtip" vortices were actually not at the wingtips at all on many airplanes; rather they were being generated well inboard, nearer to a gap in the ailerons. Of course, they still moved outward eventually and were undoubtedly still very, very dangerous.
FlexibleFlier
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby C » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:11 pm

The most commonly visible ones will be the wingtips and the outboard edge of the flaps - basically (in a very basic sense) where the local airflow runs out of wing surface to travel over (actually under).

Racing car rear wings can produce good ones in moist conditions too. ^-^
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby FlexibleFlier » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:02 pm

C wrote:The most commonly visible ones will be the wingtips and the outboard edge of the flaps - basically (in a very basic sense) where the local airflow runs out of wing surface to travel over (actually under).

C, I do get it...I simply had not seen that before. My real world flying big iron goes back 50 years, long before winglets and the very sophisticated designs that modern materials allow.
FlexibleFlier
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Real Aviation