I need help deciding which vehicle to get.!

With a lot of interest in Auto's here, only wingless machines please!

Re: I need help deciding which vehicle to get.!

Postby H » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:50 pm

If you are living in snow and ice conditions I would recommend a front wheel drive or 4 wheel drive vehicle.  A mustang or camaro will kill you in the winter.   I'd say go with a 4 wheel drive truck.  You have hauling capacity and off road capability.  Plus you can score some free beer hauling stuff for people who drive tiny save the planet cars.
Note BigTruck's first sentence and realize: when there is no load in the back, a truck without front wheel drive can be worse than Mustang, Camaro or any other standard tranny car.

...if your only tools are a pen, paper and a laptop those hybrids are getting better every year.
They're currently rather expensive, too few used trade-ins; due to what I mentioned in the previous post, we're not likely to see any other more efficient form for some time.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby OVERLORD_CHRIS » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:56 pm

Look for something with AWD First given where you have to drive, like a used WRX or Lancer, Subaru Outback, Subaru Legacy.

A Jeep Grand Cherokee, or regular Cherokee will work too, for the love of god stay away from a Wrangler, they are the worst vehicles, they only do 1 thing right and that is off road. For a daily driver they suck ass, get horrid MPG, lack power, and our outfitted like a Korean War area military truck, as in nothing special with them. If you can't a ford to keep up with maintenance and fuel on a 03+ Land Rover, stay away from. 

If you can find a 4x4 Ranger Extended Cap, or 2 Door or 4 door Explorer, they work too. And the money you save with a used small 4x4, you can get a rear diff locker, they come in so handy in the snow.
OVERLORD_CHRIS
Major
Major

Postby Ivan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:27 pm

Hybrids are a joke... and the ones in the USA are even worse compared to what we get in Europe.

Everyone who calls himself environmentally conscious when buying a Prius or whatever other hybrid should spend a week in Norilsk before signing the contract, as that is the place where the majority of your battery components comes from.

Ok that was the rant
Now the advice: check which garages you have in your area, especially if you are going for a Subaru... most universal garages dont have a clue with anything non-standard (trust me i have experience and paid the price).

Saab's are good in snow too, as are Volvo's...
Russian planes: IL-76 (all standard length ones),  Tu-154 and Il-62, Tu-134 and [url=http://an24.uw.hu/]An-24RV[/ur
Ivan
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Strategic Retreat » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:29 pm

Hybrids are a joke...

I'm going to go further and say that yes, electric motors are the future of car transportation, BUT the batteries MUST GO. Another system MUST be devised. Be it hydrogen fuel cells or other more sci-fi at the moment solutions. Beside the pollution of spent batteries, they have the stocking capacity of a thimble carved out of a neutron star matter, an autonomy that to define it pitiful means showing off your ironic streak and a recharging time that is simply impossible to manage.

At the moment, stick with traditional engines, but modern and fuel saving ones... unless you live in the States, where petrol is cheaper than beer.
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby eno » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:24 pm

Everyone is forgetting the main point......What is the vehicle being used for?
If it's for getting to school/work with little or nothing to carry then something compact and economic will surfice.
If it's to be used for work and carrying moderate amounts of equipment then an estate (Station Wagon to our US members) might be a sensible option or a small truck/pickup/van.
If it's for carrying loads of people  about then once again the estate or a larger saloon car or MPV.
Take into account extremes of weather then decide if 4x4 is necessary .......!
Also take into account the experience of the driver before strapping them into some growling snarling high powered donor maker.
It aint rocket science.
[align=center][img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/imaginsigeno.jpg[/img][/align]
eno
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Strategic Retreat » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:28 pm

Everyone is forgetting the main point......What is the vehicle being used for?

This reasoning is OK for those who can afford, and more importantly can PARK, multiple cars, but poor commoners living where there's a dearth of parking spots the like of myself... they must make due with ONE single car capable to answer to ALL their needs.
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:37 am

..or, like me...

Ride a motorcycle, with everything carried in a giant Haversack on my back!... ;)...!

Paul.... ;D... ;D...!

Transporting the new Refrigerator/Lawn Mower, etc, back home, is always a bit of a problem... :-/...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby eno » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:08 pm

This reasoning is OK for those who can afford, and more importantly can PARK, multiple cars, but poor commoners living where there's a dearth of parking spots the like of myself... they must make due with ONE single car capable to answer to ALL their needs.

Exactly my point ...... what's the main use?

..or, like me...

Ride a motorcycle, with everything carried in a giant Haversack on my back!... ;)...!

Paul.... ;D... ;D...!

Transporting the new Refrigerator/Lawn Mower, etc, back home, is always a bit of a problem... :-/...!

Paul ...... we all know you're a bit eccentric ...... but aint ya heard of a sidecar ..... ?  ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;)
[align=center][img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/imaginsigeno.jpg[/img][/align]
eno
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:51 pm

..or, like me...

Paul.... ;D... ;D...!

Paul ...... we all know you're a bit eccentric ...... but aint ya heard of a sidecar ..... ?
Last edited by Fozzer on Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Strategic Retreat » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:39 pm

ALL of them, or almost, from time to time. :P

A perfect waste of money to buy a city car if you then need to travel beyond your city. Another waste to buy a micro car if you then must transport something voluminous. If your needs may vary, to buy a specialized car means you are crippling yourself or condemning yourself to buy more than one car. Better something that can do a little of everything, no? :)
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:13 pm

ALL of them, or almost, from time to time. :P

A perfect waste of money to buy a city car if you then need to travel beyond your city. Another waste to buy a micro car if you then must transport something voluminous. If your needs may vary, to buy a specialized car means you are crippling yourself or condemning yourself to buy more than one car. Better something that can do a little of everything, no? :)

...A small Van/Pick-up truck... ;)...!

General Purpose!

Paul... 8-)...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Ivan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:48 pm

VW Eurovan... Works in snow, mud, 40C heat

And about motorbikes with sidecars: get an Ural motorbike... also available with twin powered wheels
Russian planes: IL-76 (all standard length ones),  Tu-154 and Il-62, Tu-134 and [url=http://an24.uw.hu/]An-24RV[/ur
Ivan
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jeff.Guo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:23 am

Forget all this fuel economy stuff, the first thing that he should consider is reliability - and for your price range, this actually rules out most European and American auto manufactures.

So if you want a sensible car, go get an AWD CR-V. It's economic and unbelievably reliable. It's also not underpowered, hauls just fine, and the steering is surprisingly sharp, so it's surprisingly fun to drive.

But if that's not your cup of tea (it wasn't mine), here's what you should stay away from that people haven't mentioned:

1. Rally cars. This includes the Evos and WRXs that people above me mentioned. Granted they are very fun to drive, but they make you look like a rice burner and you're just asking for high insurance premiums. I can take more than 80% of the turns here in Springfield, IL at 40+ MPH in my F-150 (5.0L with limited-slip diff). That is excessive even in my book and there is absolutely no reason why you need to do better. So there is absolutely no reason why you should own a rally car.

2. V6 muscle cars. Nothing wrong with them per se, but I would NEVER pay for a brand new one, let alone a used one. Those things have awful resale values where I come from, so I would recommend staying away from them.

3. Vans of any sort. They are not cool and I would not even wish them onto my enemies.

4. Sub-compacts. They're excellent city cruisers, but nothing short of a plastic death trap on the freeway.

5. The RAV-4. I rented one recently and wanted to drive it off a cliff. It made me lose my will to live.

So now, if you want something very cool and under $25,000, here are my suggestions:

If you're grandpa is paying cash (and this is important, because financing on these cars will be VERY VERY EXPENSIVE):

1. 2009-2010 F-150 (New or slightly used). I did a walk around last time I was getting my oil changed, and they're going for pocket change. I think you can get a SuperCab XLT 4x4 for just around 25k if you negotiate well. Two caveats though. First, don't get the ecoboost, its only 1 mpg better than my 5.0 and you only get that at low rpms (so if you tow or drive with a lead foot, it goes away), the torque boost is impressive but not worth the $3000 that they want over the 5.0, and most importantly, its unproven so repair costs can run you bankrupt if Ford didn't get it right. Second, these trucks will run your insurance through the roof, I'm paying 1,300 per 6 months with AAA.

2. A Toyota Tundra. They're slightly cheaper than than the F-150 and slightly more reliable. However, Toyota is much less likely to budge with the price and because its not Detroit, I want to kill it with fire.

3. 7-10 year old premium Mustang. You can easily find a Mach 1 or a GT500 at Ford dealerships. Go for one with low miles and has been babied. You can get a '03 Mach 1 with low miles for about 15k, so they're well within your price range. These cars have already gone through most of their depreciation hill, so the cost of ownership should be fairly low. However, you have to pick well to get a well built one and I will kill you personally if you drove it in the snow.
Last edited by Jeff.Guo on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff.Guo
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jeff.Guo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:30 am

[quote][quote]If you are living in snow and ice conditions I would recommend a front wheel drive or 4 wheel drive vehicle.
Jeff.Guo
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:41 am

$25,000.... :o... :o...!
...+ running costs...

Blimey!
That's more money than I have been able to save in a lifetime! (77 Years)... :o...!

I can see now why I ride a Motor-bike!... ;)...!

Paul...Meep-meep....Wet, Cold, and Wealthy!..8-)...!

And about motorbikes with sidecars: get an Ural motorbike... also available with twin powered wheels

A Urinal, complete with a Sidecar, is definitely the way to go!... ;D...!

http://www.ural.com/
Last edited by Fozzer on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Autos