I need help deciding which vehicle to get.!

With a lot of interest in Auto's here, only wingless machines please!

I need help deciding which vehicle to get.!

Postby Spitfire_Ace » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:15 am

So I have been using my grandpa's 1978 F-150. He was just letting me borrow it, he has offered to get me my own vehicle. It can't be over $25,000. So... Here are the ones I have found... 2011 Colorado Extended Cab 4x4 Work Truck, which I have found will come out to be about $24,000. The second one is a 2011 Camaro Coupe 1LS, which depending on where I buy it, with no extras, will come out to about $24,000. The third and Final Choice... 2012 Ford Mustang V6 Coupe... With very few extras it will come out to be around $25,000 exact. He said the base price has to be at or below $25,000, which means I don't have to worry about figuring in Tax. Which of these should I choose... I need one that I will be able to drive around in the snow and ice in the Black Hills. I am leaning towards the Chevy Colorado. If you guys know of a better vehicle that falls with in the price. Please go ahead and post it.
Spitfire_Ace
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: I need help deciding which vehicle to get.!

Postby expat » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:30 am

As grandpa is going to be footing the bill, and you are not yet of an age where you can afford your own wheels,  so with that in mind, how about a small engined car that does 40 or so MPG (i.e cheap to run) than a V6 or V8 that will burble along at 15 to the gallon.

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JBaymore » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:44 am

..........how about a small engined car that does 40 or so MPG (i.e cheap to run) than a V6 or V8 that will burble along at 15 to the gallon.

Matt

Thank you for the voice of sanity!

Unless one truly NEEDS a vehicle with a heavy carrying capacity, it is truly wasterful to be burning the needless gasoline all the time lugging around that big, heavy vehicle.  And having a car that goes sixty gazillion mph when most people can't drive safely (nor legally) at those speeds makes no sense either.

Might I recommend a Honda Fit Sport?  We have a 2010 one and it averages 40 mpg.  We live in New Hampshire and it is fine on ice and snow (if you know how to drive). 

Haven't looked at he new year's prives... but I think it will be under $25K.

best,

...............john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby skoker » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:18 pm

If you can find a Mitsubishi lancer evolution I would go for that.  I love how it dives over ice and snow. ;)
skoker
Major
Major

Postby pete » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:19 pm

Gas (petrol) prices will go up and up and up over the next few years. Gas guzzlers will as a result loose value. The period of heavy steel based cars is drawing to an end slowly and my daughter will be driving a machine very different from what we see today when she grows up - probably made by the likes of Samsung or LG.

Meanwhile you'll be doing yourself a favor by maximizing MPG in your decision about a car now.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby machineman9 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:36 pm

Definately look at new cars with excellent economy, and start/stop technology.

A friend of mine recently bought himself a brand new Audi A1, which can reach 100MPG at times. It runs diesel, but because it's German, it actually works.

To be honest, I'm looking at a similar Audi, or even a plug-in hybrid such as the BMW i8 for a few years time.

In relation to your problem... Look at economical cars with smaller engines. A decent four wheel drive or adaptive drive system is available on a lot of modern cars. An older, heavy, car might struggle on ice in comparison. And a massive engine will not aid traction on ice.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby hyperpep111 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:33 pm

If this was a perfect World of BBC Cbbees or whatever it is called ;D and cars cost 3 pennies and bread costs 1 :D. I would strongly advice you to buy A Koenigsegg  ;) Agera. But I will do a bit of research for you :P.
Most people think that flying a plane is dangerous, except pilots because they know how easy it is.
Arguing with a pilot is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you begin to think the pig likes it.
hyperpep111
Major
Major

Postby expat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Just received this months Practical Mechanics. Nice article about the Chevy Sonic. Basic price, $14,000. It comes with either a 1.8L or a 1.4L Turbo and does a million miles to the gallon. Also at 14 grand, that leaves you plenty left over to increase your comfort level.

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Xpand » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:59 pm

PEEL P50, PEEL P50, PEEL P50, PEEL P....

Just kidding (it's my favorite car... Really, no kidding! Can't find any though.).
I have a Honda Civic and it's quite good. Though I always had a crush on japanese cars...
Xpand
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby hyperpep111 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:29 am

Nah. No peel p50.
Advantages:
You don't pay congestion charge,
No one would ever want to steal it,
You can take it into your job
Disadvantages:
Cannot go out with friends,
No going on dates etc  :(
It drinks gas like mad :o.
It spews out smoke.

But hey you save at least 23,500. 8-) for other stuff.
Most people think that flying a plane is dangerous, except pilots because they know how easy it is.
Arguing with a pilot is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you begin to think the pig likes it.
hyperpep111
Major
Major

Postby Strategic Retreat » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:02 am

peel p50... man... remember having seen Jeremy Clarkson try it on an episode of Top Gear, but I thought it was a gag car... now I discover it exists for real... :o
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby expat » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:19 am

[quote]Nah. No peel p50.
Advantages:
You don't pay congestion charge,
No one would ever want to steal it,
You can take it into your job
Disadvantages:
Cannot go out with friends,
No going on dates etc

expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby H » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:57 pm

..........how about a small-engined car that does 40 or so MPG (i.e cheap to run) than a V6 or V8 that will burble along at 15 to the gallon. Matt

Thank you for the voice of sanity!
Unless one truly NEEDS a vehicle with a heavy carrying capacity, it is truly wasteful to be burning the needless gasoline all the time lugging around that big, heavy vehicle.
Last edited by H on Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby BigTruck » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:48 pm

If you are living in snow and ice conditions I would recommend a front wheel drive or 4 wheel drive vehicle.  A mustang or camaro will kill you in the winter.   I'd say go with a 4 wheel drive truck.  You have hauling capacity and off road capability.  Plus you can score some free beer hauling stuff for people who drive tiny save the planet cars. 

-BigTruck  8-)
Alienware X51_R2 (thank you wife) Windows 8.1, 6GB Ram, Intel Core i3-4150 CPU @3.50GHz
FSX Acceleration settings on max, no twitches or glitches.
Saitek X52 Stick and Throttle
BigTruck
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Steve M » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:53 pm

Cars and trucks can be chosen for a thousand different uses. I drive a big fuel guzzling V8 3/4 ton Chevy cargo van, thats been beefed up for towing heavy trailers. So if your only tools are a pen,paper and a laptop those hybrids are getting better every year.  :)
Steve M
Major
Major

Next

Return to Autos