The end of a great career

With a lot of interest in Auto's here, only wingless machines please!

The end of a great career

Postby Craig. » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:33 am

Well, its official.
Michael Schumacher is officially retiring from Formula one at the end of 2006.
Yes he's made few friends in his time, and some bad choices.
But the simple fact is, he has been the best driver in F1 history. The question is, can Alonso or Kimi take any of his records from him?
Last edited by Craig. on Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Re: The end of a great career

Postby VVM » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:26 am

as much as i dislike schumacher, i will miss him.  i doubt alonso or raikkonen will break his records.  they (his records) will be around for a very long time i feel
VVM
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby C » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:29 am

Hurrah. The luckiest man in F1s career is over. How about he give Damon Hill the 1994 World Championship as a goodwill gesture to make up for some of the rediculous driving that removed a lot of the credibility from an otherwise glorious career...

(Put your hands up if you've been hit by Schumacher!) ;D
Last edited by C on Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jb2_86_uk » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:31 am

Sayonara Schumi

Goodbye to a legend. I dont think the sport will realise how much it will miss him until next year.

As for schumi-bashers, you dont (won't) know a good thing 'till its gone.

Kudos to Kubica tho, a very good drive.

JB
Want a custom repaint? Look no further!
http://www.jbhanger.com
New! Newbie Painting Tutorials!
jb2_86_uk
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby expat » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:18 am

Shumi and Blair both have one thing in common. It was/is time to move on. The same face at the top too long just gets to be boring. I wonder how much of this decision was made by Ferrari. OK, Michael, Kimi is here next year
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Craig. » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:28 am

The simple fact is, if Ferrari wanted him gone, I guarentee you Mclaren would sign him if he wanted to continue. Renault aswell since they are lacking the big name driver. I think as of late his hearts not been in it. You can see it in his face and his attitude.
As for his career, name another driver whos had the success or could even claim to have had a better career.
I said it once before. A racing drivers job is to impress me on the track with results and championships, not to make me like him as a person. Schumacher's a "ruthless genious" on the track as Murray Walker put it. And I agree doesn't make him any friends but he didn't care. Next year will be the toughest for F1, simply because it'll still be about Michael, the comparisons, the what if's. But after that it'll be fine. It moved on when Mansell left. It moved on when Senna died, and it'll move on now Michaels retiring. The one thing that can be said from this.
Kimi has no more excuses, he'll be in one of the best cars, with proven reliability. And Alonso will be in the car Kimi's struggled with. That should give him the upper hand and possibly the chance at his first title. Interesting factoid, if Schumi wins the title, then Kimi will have to carry the number 0 next season. Much like Hill upon his debut for Williams.
Last edited by Craig. on Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:30 am

.......Shame that I have no access to a computer for the next week to follow what I think will be a colourful thread. Company has sent me on an Air Bus maint course, only home at the weekends......

Matt

..at least be greatful that they are not sending you on a Managerial, outward-bound, make-a-man-of-you course in the depths of the Black Forest... :o...!

LOL...;D...!

Paul... 8)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby expat » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:35 am

No it is 9-5 death by view foil. The Black Forest is almost appealing.

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby C » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:55 am

Yes we will - and we've been waiting for a long time. As Martin Brundle states in todays times, Schumi could have been the greatest driver ever, but for questionable on track morals (or, in plain English, er, cheating)...

Senna, JMF, Jim Clark all featured in his top five, and you have to wonder what some of the other greats (Stewart, Prost, Moss, Villeneuve) would have been capable of in the modern era of over sanitised motor racing.

Schumacher's a "ruthless genious" on the track as Murray Walker put it

I'd say there is a difference between being a "ruthless genious" and being nigh on completely irresponsible.
Last edited by C on Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Craig. » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:04 am

I'd say there is a difference between being a "ruthless genious" and being nigh on completely irresponsible.

Thats one of those opinions that will be split between those who like him and those who dont.
But yet he's backed it up with numerous unbeatable performances. Its not like he's just some bad driver getting lucky by charging round the track trying to drive into anything that moved. That belonged to Montoya, and look how well he did.
Schumi made 3 mistakes. 94/97 and Monaco.
But when it comes down to it in 30 years time, the only thing people will look at is whats on paper and thats going to be 90 wins* 7 world championships, the numerous records. And thats what will seal his place amoungst the greats.

* subject to 06 results. lol.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby C » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:00 pm

Thats one of those opinions that will be split between those who like him and those who dont.
But yet he's backed it up with numerous unbeatable performances. Its not like he's just some bad driver getting lucky by charging round the track trying to drive into anything that moved. That belonged to Montoya, and look how well he did.

I'm not denying his ability at all. I hate to think of what could have happened in the narrow streets of Adelaide had DH's suspension given way in the days of untethered wheels, or if his collision with JV had been a few inches either way - or if someone had gone up the back of him in Monaco...

PS - Craig has a little sad face on MSN, Charlie has a large grin. I suspect that summarises our well known difference of opinion about MSC! ;D
Last edited by C on Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Craig. » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:32 pm

Like I said you either like him or hate him. ;) ;D
I'm not worried really its always one of those good debate topics if nothing else.

And not surprisingly rumors are already abound that his retirement may be short lived as other teams have been making moves for his services.
I wouldn't mind seeing him Ross Brawn and Jean Todt all taking a year off as is likely, then having a reunion at Renault in 08 as they are severely lacking talent. You just know though, when Schumi goes, Brawn and Todt would have to go with him as a package.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby TSC. » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:11 pm

They weren't mistakes ;)

TSC.

'Only two things are infinite.......The Universe and Human stupidity........and I'm not too sure about the Universe' - Einstein
TSC.
Major
Major

Postby Craig. » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:40 pm

They weren't mistakes ;)

TSC.

They were as far as his career is concerned. ;) :D
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby TSC. » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:00 pm

LOL - now THAT is true!!

He could write a book: 'How to **** up becoming undeniably the best F1 driver ever in three easy steps'

;D

TSC.

'Only two things are infinite.......The Universe and Human stupidity........and I'm not too sure about the Universe' - Einstein
TSC.
Major
Major

Next

Return to Autos