Motor Vehicle Insurance!

With a lot of interest in Auto's here, only wingless machines please!

Motor Vehicle Insurance!

Postby Fozzer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:04 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38841837

...maybe is our own stupidity in continuing to purchasing highly complex motor vehicles!.... :o ....!

The cost of Maintenance, Repair, and Replace!

I remember the day when I used to carry around with me a few tools which would guarantee a roadside fix in the case of a motorcar or motorcycle breakdown!

Nowadays, if something goes wrong with your latest, super-dooper, state-of-the-art, car or motorcycle, its going to cost you mega-bucks to get it all sorted out, and your annual premiums are going to go sky-high!

I gave up driving my motor cars many years ago, (1990) because of modern traffic conditions, and now I use my simple Motorcycles with simple engines and simple electrics!
My latest Insurance Premium for my 1993 (1983 designed) Yamaha RX-S 100 2-stroke motorcycle, and my 1996 (1985 designed) Honda Rebel Twin 4-stroke Cruiser Motorcycle cost me £65 per year to fully Insure!

I dread to think what the latest BMW hi-tech motor car, or the latest Harley Davidson Street Glide Classic, with all its bells and whistles, would cost me in insurance!.... :shock: ....!

I'm sure that my Motor Insurance Company are well aware of their low risk of an enormous pay-out, in the event of any problems /accidents, etc, occurring with my simple, trusty steeds!

There you go Chums...

..make your next motor car to occupy your garage be a simple; "Morris Minor", push rods, 12 volt Dynamo, Voltage Regulator/Cut-out, and distributor coil Ignition....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Engines-Engin ... odel=Minor

Just take a few tools with you on your journey!... :D ...!

Paul....Old/Elderly, 67-year perfect driving record, and minimum Insurance premiums!....(They pay me to ride my Motorcycle now!)... :dance: ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Motor Vehicle Insurance!

Postby pegger » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:52 am

You are absolutly right Paul. The first car i ever owned was a 1967 pontiac firebird. Far too much car for a 16 y/o male, but nine-the-less, i only required a crescent wrench, a set of sockets, and two screw drivers to repair anything on that car.

The next car was a 1981 VW rabbit diesel. I had to buy a set of metric box wrenches, but still super easy to fix on my own.

I now drive a newer ford F-150. I can change the wiper blades and wheels on my own. Everything else on this truck is a mystery to me. It goes to the dealers shop for anything, and the bill is always either $600, or $1600, depending on what they tell me they had to fix.

As fir insurance, my policy costs $1800 per year. Very expensive, but considering i hit a deer with this truck and caused $9000 dollars of damage within the first month of owning it, the price of insurance fies not really surprise me.

I have a solution for insurance companies to reduce rates for their customers...
Stop insuring stupidity!!

So many accidents are a cause of stupidity and bad driving decisions. And with our no-fault, public insurance system in this province, if the car is fixable for less than tbe current write off price, it will be fixed...no matter how the accident happened.
pegger
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jean Loup » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:14 am

My copilot & I are happy with our "Perica", my classic VW repair shop-on-wheels: VW Combi 1973, 7 place Automatic (2 carbs, coil & point's distributor ignition) needing a little bit of Paint, here parked at our home la Hacienda:

My copilot, Cloepatra Golden aka CLEO:

¿Insurance? ¿In México? That's a good one...
:dance:
...LiCENSE & REGiSTRATiON !!
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby expat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:50 am

Fozzer wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38841837
I dread to think what the latest BMW hi-tech motor car, or the latest Harley Davidson Street Glide Classic, with all its bells and whistles, would cost me in insurance!.... :shock: ....!

I am casually looking for a car I have always wanted to own, a BMW M5...Depending on the model, it is either 500 or 560 horses. As with all our cars, it would be in my wife's name. As a govenment employee, she is far more trustworthy than the rest of us ( :lol: :roll: :lol: ) and gets special rates. She has full no claims. The cost for fully comp would be around 2.5K per year..... :shock: :shock: (And yes I still want one.... 8-) )

On the other side, as I gave my wife my no claims many years ago due to the afore mention rate reduction, my bike is also insured by her. I am the legal owner, the named rider and she is the legally insured policy holder for a bike she does not own or have a licence to ride.....Me, 1k a year, my wife, €134 a year...Would that work in the UK Paul.....?

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:18 am

It always seems a bit dodgy to me, messing about with Insurance Liabilities and Risks!
You are bound to do something wrong, and the Law, Insurance, etc, finds out!.... :shock: ...!

I always seem to pick vehicles (Vee-Hickles), Bikes and Motorcars, which attract very low premiums.

My insurance Company actually paid me to drive my 1982 Austin Allegro 1.5 HL!..... :dance: ...!

...and Cruiser Bikes are generally low risk....we don't go very fast, and are mostly sensible!

£65 per year (TPFT) for my Bikes suits me!

Paul.... :D ...!

P.S. My Allegro is still resting in my garage, since 1990.... ;) ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby expat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:56 am

Fozzer wrote:It always seems a bit dodgy to me, messing about with Insurance Liabilities and Risks!
You are bound to do something wrong, and the Law, Insurance, etc, finds out!.... :shock: ...!

Perfectly legal with my bike here, it is part of a multi car policy. I just find it odd that my wife can insure my bike for me to ride it...

And your Allegro...........will that be the subject of a "barn find" on some car show soon.... :lol: :lol:

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:55 am

expat wrote:
.....And your Allegro...........will that be the subject of a "barn find" on some car show soon.... :lol: :lol:

Matt

I constantly live in hope, Matt.... :pray: ... ;) ...!

My Lads tell me, the Allegro Club would pay loadsa money for it, if I advertised it on e-bay!... :dance: ....!

Its only done 40k miles from brand new!

...she's just a bit dusty now, sat in the gloom of my remote council garage for the past 27 years... :| ...!

Too many problems/stress with busy car traffic now.

OK on the Bike... :D ...!

..and at £65 PA insurance its a bargain!

Paul...I just get wet and cold.... :lol: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Autos