Best musclecars?

With a lot of interest in Auto's here, only wingless machines please!

Re: Best musclecars?

Postby ViperPilot » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:23 pm

My Uncle in Oregon had a thing for the Ford Ranchero. 1977 was the last year Ford made the Ranchero GT available with a 460, and he had one:

The Speedometer went from 0 (8:00) to 120 (4:00); one time he wound it up to where the Speedometer needle was pointed at the P in "MPH", located at the 6:00 position on the dial!

As I recall, he still had space between the back of the Gas Pedal and the Floorboard!

:shock:
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby jcj78 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:29 pm

expat wrote:
He dropped a 5.0 from an '89 Mustang into a 1974 MG. It makes about 285 rwhp.

With the original 1974 brake servo and master cylinder..........That's brave........ :shock: :lol:

Matt

Yep. It went from 1700 pounds to 1850 with the motor swap (if there is an aluminium part for a 5.0, he's got it, CF driveshaft, racing radiator) so he left em alone. I rode down Deal's Gap with him (318 curves in 11 miles) and the only vehicles that could stay with it were track bikes. He got a little scared of it a few years ago and put a centrifical cut-off on it, so when it gets away from him on gravels like its done before, it kills the engine if it swaps ends.

He drove it to Sturgis about five years ago, and it averaged 29 mpg over the trip.
--
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics, that a man's reasoning powers are not above a monkey's. - Mark Twain
jcj78
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby jcj78 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:46 pm

expat wrote:There is only car with muscle for me... O0

Matt (Still hoping to build one, one day....)

I used to work at a Mercedez Dealer and we took a Cobra kitcar in on trade once. It had the big crate motor and everything, but it WAS a kit car, so it was like $30Kish. Badass. Ferrari of Beverly Hills bought it from the dealership and sent a truck to pick it up. It was a box truck with a lift inside, a two car carrier. The Cobra was going up top, so they had to back the 550 Marenello off the truck to load the Cobra up. We didn't sell many cars while they were there, cause all the salesmen were oogling the 550.
--
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics, that a man's reasoning powers are not above a monkey's. - Mark Twain
jcj78
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby expat » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:22 am

jcj78 wrote:
expat wrote:There is only car with muscle for me... O0

Matt (Still hoping to build one, one day....)

I used to work at a Mercedez Dealer and we took a Cobra kitcar in on trade once. It had the big crate motor and everything, but it WAS a kit car, so it was like $30Kish. Badass. Ferrari of Beverly Hills bought it from the dealership and sent a truck to pick it up. It was a box truck with a lift inside, a two car carrier. The Cobra was going up top, so they had to back the 550 Marenello off the truck to load the Cobra up. We didn't sell many cars while they were there, cause all the salesmen were oogling the 550.

Well, I can (hopefully) afford to do a kit, but if you have a large wallet there is always the real thing too....

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby fsafranek » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:30 am

I used to have a 1970 Dodge Challenger. It had a wimpy 319 in it. It was originally slime green with a black vinyl top. Some sort of SoCal dealer special with buckets, RT gauges and slap stick shifter and center console. A good portion of the passenger side was bondo and the whole thing had been repainted black by the time I got it. I found the next one off the line (one digit highter on the VIN number) owned by a guy who also worked at Rockwell when we lived in LA and it was still original. Man I loved the lines on that car. I heard the kid I sold it to wrapped it around a tree.
fsafranek
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Steve M » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:26 pm

I had a 1968 Dodge Coronet Superbee very much like this one except mine was blue. 426 ci engine, 4 on the floor, Crager mags and big 16 inch (wide) meats on the back. Very fast and could bury the 150 mph speedometer in short order. Loved that car but I lost my drivers liscence in it. Being young, and knowing everything there was to know about life I had sold a 1952 MG TD to buy it. Drat!

Steve M
Major
Major

Previous

Return to Autos