Finally: two wheels GOOD!!

With a lot of interest in Auto's here, only wingless machines please!

Finally: two wheels GOOD!!

Postby beaky » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:02 pm

Yeah, I'm still around... not much of a simmer anymore; actually scrapped my still-unfinished simpit last month when I moved out of the Loft in Space. No glider-flying yet this year, either. But I have discovered a new obsession: motorcycles!
Been wanting to ride since I was a kid, but "never got around to it." Used to ride minibikes a little back in the day, and have done some ATV riding in recent years, but never owned a motorsickle or got a license to do so.
Once I sold the ol' Mustang last winter and moved into an old pickup that I got for free, the stage was set to finally get a bike. Main reason was money... when I moved out of Newark, I was suddenly confronted with fueling the truck for 60-to-100-mile round trips to work several times a week. At about 13mpg, the truck is not suitable for that, unless the weather was lousy or I had to haul something.
So, fire lit under my ass finally, I started shopping. A friend told me he had a very low-mileage '87 Honda Rebel 450 that had been in storage for years... wanted $500, and I reckoned it'd just need new ties and a tune-up. Was going to see it a couple weeks ago, but he had to cancel the meetup. Meanwhile, other biker friends had warned me that for my proposed commutes, which include a lot of high-speed riding on interstate highways, the 450 might not be a good choice. So I started thinking about, and looking for, something a little bigger, and maybe more suited for highway commuting (and touring, as I really want to do that).
Saw an ad for a 1982 Honda 500 Silverwing, sort of a baby Goldwing, with 16K on the clock, fairing, trunk and panniers, asking price $700, ridden regularly up until very recently, so I went to look at it.
For those who don't know (and I sure didn't until I saw this ad), the GL series (based on the CX) are pretty interesting machines: transverse-mounted twin with a twist in each cylinder; liquid-cooled, shaft-driven, and equipped with dual disc brakes up front and air-assisted shocks (including the "Pro-Link" progressive damping single shock on the swingarm. They are a little weak in midrange power, but love to scream along at 8-9000 rpm all day on the highway. A tad top-heavy, but curb weight's just over 500 lbs. They have a reputation for being fun to ride, sturdy and reliable, and parts are plentiful. The rear trunk is interchangeable with a pillion seat (which I don't have)... many GL owners have put an extender on that allows pillion seat and trunk to be mounted at the same time (trunk behind both seats). Panniers and trunk can hold up to 20 lbs. each, and the panniers have retractable handles so you can carry 'em around like suitcases. All the pannier latches and the mounting latches are lockable, and they all work off the ignition key, as does the fuel cap. Typical clever Honda stuff, but all with that simple, robust Honda quality.

Long story short, I bought it... for only $400! Needs new tires for sure, the fairing is damaged and tank dented slightly from being dropped or hit (fairing broke off its mount on one side and got pushed into the tank), and it may need work on the charging system (I'll know when the new battery I ordered arrives). But with a donor battery, it starts right up, idles well (now that I have adjusted the throttle stop screw), goes into gear, and stops (brakes are good; front calipers were recently serviced). All fluids look good, Doesn't leak, doesn't overheat, fan works, all lights work. It even has a radio/cassette unit that works, but I may leave that off permanantly, as it is pretty heavy and might be an unwelcome distraction (more than one biker friend has warned me to ditch it).
I have a small dirt oval cul-de-sac between my house and the landlords', so I've been puttering around that a little, to see if I am comfy on the bike. I am. It's just perfect for a beginner my size, and my research indicates it will be very happy at high revs on the highway, but manageable on city streets or the 1000-foot dirt driveway I have to negotiate every time I venture from home. The fairing and awesome hard panniers will make it very useful for commuting, shopping, and touring. And unlike that beast of a pickup, it will get about 50mpg!!!

It'll be a few weeks before I have enough cash in hand to bring it in for new tires and a general going-over, but I found a shop nearby that left a good impression on me. Depending on their estimate, I may do some of the work myself (I'm already well into repairing the damaged fairing, a fairly straightforward fiberglass job). Meanwhile, I have to go take a local MSF basic rider course, which will allow me to waive the state road test and get legal to ride (and yeah, I should learn a thing or two, lol).
It's definitely a paradigm shift, going to two wheels, and I will admit my immediate plans for riding are pretty ambitious... but I am confident I can move ahead safely. I have a few friends in the general area who will be happy to come ride with me on local trips while I learn the ropes; they have all given me lots of good advice already. Wish me luck, and those of you who ride feel free to chime in!

I've taken a few phone snaps of it, but only one came out clearly... when I get her serviced and put back together, I will post more. And if anyone's curious, I can upload some pics of the fairing repair work.

beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Finally: two wheels GOOD!!

Postby boromir125 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:44 pm

A good, solid ride. I can't tell from the photo...is that the 500 or 650 version of the Silver Wing? Like its big brother, they are nearly bullet proof and with care, you'll log many miles. Good riding, and God speed.
boromir125
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:34 am

Welcome to the club, Sean!... :dance: ...!

Lots of fresh air rides to enjoy now!

How about trying Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica...you could pick it up at your place!

...a trip over to the wonderful West Coast!...>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_66

Paul.... Motorcycle Enthusiast for the past 65 years. Owned loads of bikes, British and Jap!....... :mrgreen:...!

...and still riding them, every day at the age of 80.....cant keep me off them!!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mustangaroo » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:54 am

Personally I always liked the sound these little gws made. Nice little burble and decent manners with the throttle. Lotsa luck with your new ride! :P :P
mustangaroo
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby beaky » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:09 am

Fozzer wrote:Welcome to the club, Sean!... :dance: ...!

Lots of fresh air rides to enjoy now!

How about trying Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica...you could pick it up at your place!

...a trip over to the wonderful West Coast!...>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_66

Paul.... Motorcycle Enthusiast for the past 65 years. Owned loads of bikes, British and Jap!....... :mrgreen:...!

...and still riding them, every day at the age of 80.....cant keep me off them!!

Foz, someday I will take this bike, or another one, coast-to-coast... but for now, I have miles and miles of scenic twistys within easy reach. This area of NJ is renowned among US bikers for that.

And within an easy day's ride, I have the largest wilderness east of the Mississippi- the Adirondacks. Been through there on a bicycle twice, and I am looking forward to riding a motorcycle on those lovely wide mountain highways. This Honda is going to be perfect for camping tours in the wilderness!!
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby beaky » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:11 am

boromir125 wrote:A good, solid ride. I can't tell from the photo...is that the 500 or 650 version of the Silver Wing? Like its big brother, they are nearly bullet proof and with care, you'll log many miles. Good riding, and God speed.

It's a GL500... a 650 might be better in the long run, but for the price, I could not resist!!
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fozzer » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:04 pm

Henry Cole did the East Coast Route 1 ride, from Boston to Florida Keys, on the TV "Travel Channel"...

Well worth watching if you can get to see it.

The New York part was his least favourite stretch...traffic and pot-holes!....

...but the rest of the ride to Florida was fantastic!..... >>>> http://www.travelchannel.co.uk/series-i ... 7bdTaBIP6c

My favourite stretch...Route 1 West Coast, from Santa Rosa to Santa Monica...

...and some of the Desert runs..Cal, Nevada, Arizona, etc...!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:33 pm

...Sean...

With your new Vee-Twin, you may even be allowed to mix it along with the Harley Vee-Twin Riders!

..your engine angled just a little differently!... ;) ...!

Paul....don't forget the Vee-(Twin) sign with the fingers when you meet!.... :D ...1
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:11 pm

Hi Sean. Good see you still around. :dance:

And unlike that beast of a pickup, it will get about 50mpg!!!

50 mpg! That seems a tad low for a motorsickle. :shock: I've averaged almost 45 mpg on my little Honda Jazz 5-door hatchback since I've had it.
That includes town & motorway driving. http://car-emissions.com/cars/view/49931

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:22 pm

Hagar wrote:Hi Sean. Good see you still around. :dance:

50 mpg! That seems a tad low for a motorsickle. :shock: I've averaged almost 45 mpg on my little Honda Jazz 5-door hatchback since I've had it.

I think the reason is, Doug, a lot of our "older" bikes (like Sean's) are fitted with Carburettors and ordinary exhaust systems, resulting in poor fuel economy, whereas more modern bikes (after 2004?) are fitted with complex electronically controlled fuel injection systems and catalytic exhaust systems.
I seriously doubt that one of my classic motorcycles, a 1983 Yamaha RX-S 100, a mere 98cc, with a carburettor 2-stroke engine, will do more than 50 miles to the gallon whilst emitting clouds of smoke, if I am very lucky!
Modern Motorbikes, like modern Motorcars, are much more efficient, and cleaner, in all sorts of ways, nowadays!
None of my Bikes were, and are, fitted with modern fuel injector systems...they all drink vast quantities of petrol through (leaky?) Carburettors...nevertheless they still pass their annual MOT tests...being "old"...!

Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby expat » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:12 am

Honda 500 V twin, that's is what they call a gullipump here in Germany. The rough translation being a manhole pump.... :lol:

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby beaky » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:04 am

Hagar wrote:Hi Sean. Good see you still around. :dance:

Nowadays, some motorcycles are doing much better, that's true. But for a 500-lb. motorcycle designed in the late 70s, I'd say 50 mpg is pretty damn good. :mrgreen:
And compared to what I'm stuck with at the moment (a late 80s pickup truck that averages about 13 mpg(!) it's absolutely mind-blowing. :shock:
Instead of paying over $25 for fuel on a typical commute, I'll be paying about $6. Three or four times a week, that adds up!!
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ozzy72 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:36 am

Welcome to the brotherhood ;-)
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby beaky » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:01 am

Pretty excited- I signed up for a Motorcycle Safety foundation class end of this month, and found a fairly close cycle shop where I could try on gear. I'm leaning towards a mid-priced modular helmet with an internal shaded visor and built-in Bluetooth setup. I don't know if I really need comms, etc inside the helmet, but this shop has a great price on it, and I like the fit.
For those wondering,the way it works in NJ with the MSF course is that if you have a valid driver's license, if you pass the course (about 3 days of classroom and riding), there's no state road test- you bring the papers to the DMV and they add a motorcycle privilege to your ticket. Might get a break on my liability insurance, too (although the co. I am dealing with now for the truck quoted me only about $70/year for the bike as it is). The class is $300, but they loan you a bike, helmet, and whatever other gear you might need (just have to show up in proper shoes and long pants/sleeves). I think I will do OK (been practicing stops, U-turns and figure 8s on gravel, lol), and I am sure I will learn something. They also have advanced classes.

I'm probably going to bring her to a local mechanic this coming week for tires, suspension service, and a tuneup, but meanwhile I have been predictably sucked into the vortex of tinkering: changed the oil and coolant, checked the spark plugs, cleaned and re-oiled the air cleaner, did some work on the ignition and charging system, adjusted the cam chain and rear brake, and started cleaning it up a bit with degreaser and 000 steel wool. Also repainted a few things, like the main mount for the fairing. It's fun- I have to resist the urge to just take the whole damn thing apart.
I think I have a keeper... it's running better now (turns out only one jug was firing when I got it), and with a new battery on it, I think the charging system is OK. It just needs an experienced hand tuning and synchronizing the carbs.
The fairing repair is done, for now... it could be better, but the unit is cracked and scuffed all over, probably not worth restoring.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:32 am

After all that tinkering about, Sean, its now about time that you got out and about, riding the love of your life, (the bike!)... ;) ... ;) ...!

With the 90 degree vee-twin sound that it produces, you can pretend that your are on a Ducati 999...just a different colour!.... :lol: ...!

Have fun, and beware of all that New York traffic, attempting to kill you...NY Bikers are a rarity...they are mostly dead!!
......and don't forget the usual pot-holes in the City!
Take Route 1 southwards, out of town. That's when the fun starts!!.... :dance: ....!

Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Autos