Motorcyclists Corner.....

With a lot of interest in Auto's here, only wingless machines please!

Re: Motorcyclists Corner.....

Postby Fozzer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:12 am

A wonderful story, Sean!

Sounds like you are having a great time on some wonderful roads, once you get off the busy Interstate Highways, and enjoying some beautiful scenery to die-for!
I take it that you started off on Route 1 (Atlantic Coast) going South. Which roads did you travel after that?
Your route seems to be similar to that taken by Henry Cole on TV Travel Channel; "Worlds greatest motorcycle rides", Route 1, from Boston to Key West.
Give us some more info on your travels, and lots of pictures to enjoy!

Have fun on two-wheels...and take care...keep the rubber side down on your baby!.... :D ...!

Keep us up-to-date!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!

P.S....have you used a Go-Pro camera to record the trip (for U-Tube).... ;) ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby beaky » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:31 pm

Fozzer wrote:I take it that you started off on Route 1 (Atlantic Coast) going South. Which roads did you travel after that?
Your route seems to be similar to that taken by Henry Cole on TV Travel Channel; "Worlds greatest motorcycle rides", Route 1, from Boston to Key West.

No... I had to make my way west somewhat, so I took I-81 down through Eastern PA, Maryland, and VA. Not very scenic until I got to the top of the parkway.
The area of NC near the moto camp abounds with amazing roads besides the parkway... take a look at Rt 276 where it meets the parkway, or Rt. 74 west through the mountains, and the stretch along the Ocoee River. Those were fun, although it was cold and foggy up in the mountains when I left the campground Monday morning!

From Huntsville to New Orleans, it was mostly "superslab", buzzing almost in a straight line for hours at 70mph. I got off the interstate a few times, but encountered too much local traffic. That was about 10 hours door to door, with several short rest stops.

P.S....have you used a Go-Pro camera to record the trip (for U-Tube).... ;) ...!

No video this time, but I will post a few more pics soon.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fozzer » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:12 am

Purchased today...

Stage 1, on the continuing search for a nice, cheap, Harley Davidson 1200 Sportser* cruiser...>>>

Just need the bike to go with them now.... :roll: .... :lol: ...!

Paul.... :dance: ...!

* ...or a nice Yamaha XVS Dragstar cruiser... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:37 am

beaky wrote:
Fozzer wrote:I take it that you started off on Route 1 (Atlantic Coast) going South. Which roads did you travel after that?

No... I had to make my way west somewhat, so I took I-81 down through Eastern PA, Maryland, and VA. Not very scenic until I got to the top of the parkway.
The area of NC near the moto camp abounds with amazing roads besides the parkway... take a look at Rt 276 where it meets the parkway, or Rt. 74 west through the mountains, and the stretch along the Ocoee River. Those were fun, although it was cold and foggy up in the mountains when I left the campground Monday morning!

From Huntsville to New Orleans, it was mostly "superslab", buzzing almost in a straight line for hours at 70mph. I got off the interstate a few times, but encountered too much local traffic. That was about 10 hours door to door, with several short rest stops.

No video this time, but I will post a few more pics soon.

Hello Sean... :D ...!

Just tracing your Route: I81 > 276 > 74 on Google Map/Satellite, through the Nantahala National Forest....!

Wonderful scenery!

Keeping up with the progress... ;) ...!

Ride carefully!

P.S...you are also running close to I40, which also carries Route 66 to Santa Monica via Albuquerque - Flagstaff...my dream ride through the Deserts!!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:01 pm

I've been looking forward all week for a nice Sunday ride out with the Lads, and show off my new Pannier Bag set....

....but its been uncomfortably cold, and very blustery all day, (strong headwinds affect my little Bike), so the day was spent in pretending to fly aeroplanes, cooking amazing meals, and supping a drop? of California Napa Valley's finest Red... :dance: ...!

Will venture out later on in the week if the weather brightens up a bit!..... :roll: ...!

Paul....Brmm---brmmm!.... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby logjam » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:01 pm

With the 1st snows appearing on the mountain tops, the endless parade of 2 wheelers has finally stopped gracing the curbside of the Reynolds hotel. Listening to the honking of the hundreds of geese wheeling overhead before landing like one of Bader's big wings on the field across the river taking a rest before their annual migration south. It's no good ignoring the signs that summer is finally over. I took a deep breath, ignoring the ripe aroma of the piles of bear droppings in my backyard and decided it's time to pull up sticks and prepare to join the stream of snow birds heading to warmer climes. It's been illegal for the last couple of weeks to drive my truck without snow tires anyway, so my afternoon has been taken up with that chore. My list is filled with dismal things to do, tempered only by the thoughts of that sunny beach and a huge Margarita. Pity I can't play FS on my Asus 10" tablet, but at least I can read the posts. :D
logjam
Major
Major

Postby Sky Boy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:39 pm

Hi fellow FS Simmers,

I am not a motorcyclist like you guys, but love reading your stories and photos of your respective bikes! Just wondering though, are there any modern motorcycles with "useable side cars" like for someone like me with poor vision and balance issues (While some other licensed person does the actual driving of the bike)? Please excuse my being naive here, but was/am curious! Thanks!

Sky Boy
Arkansas, USA
Sky Boy
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:59 am

Sky Boy wrote:Hi fellow FS Simmers,

I am not a motorcyclist like you guys, but love reading your stories and photos of your respective bikes! Just wondering though, are there any modern motorcycles with "useable side cars" like for someone like me with poor vision and balance issues (While some other licensed person does the actual driving of the bike)? Please excuse my being naive here, but was/am curious! Thanks!

Sky Boy
Arkansas, USA

Hello Sky!... :D ....!

I've had a number of different Sidecar outfits over the years (long ago) to transport my family around the countryside!
But those were the days when we could attach any old Sidecar to our British Bikes which were always fitted with frame-welded special lugs for their attachment!
A quick conversion from Solo Motorcycle to Sidecar outfit!

Modern Japanese, Italian, etc, motorcycles are not fitted with these special lugs for Sidecar attachment, (often with full fairings making it impossible), indeed it would be highly dangerous to fit them, and negate the Warranty!

http://www.sidecars.org.uk/info.html

There are a number of factory-built Sidecar outfits available...but very expensive!

Our old Brit Bike Combinations were cheap and cheerful in the olden days!

The trouble is, now, a Motorcycle Combination takes up as much room on the road as a motor car, and as likely to be caught up in a static traffic jam...much like 3-wheeler Motor Bikes!

I like the freedom to avoid the traffic on a Solo Motorbike nowadays!

"Traffic" is very bad for your health... :cry: ... :lol: ....!

Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:30 am

.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:54 am

When "Lane Splitting" slow or stationary traffic, as illustrated above, very great care has to be taken, in case the driver, or passenger, opens the door to see what is going on ahead...
That's when the Motorcyclist collides with the occupant and the open door, causing injury to all involved!

Filtering on the outside of the stationary traffic can also be very dangerous, in the case of the motorist or passenger opening the door to observe, or exit, and forcing the Motorcyclist to collide with the door, and falling over into traffic passing in the opposite direction, with dire results!

Filter VERY SLOWLY, be ready to brake to a stop, and keep a wary look-out for anyone in the vehicle looking likely to open a door in front of you!

Motorists are mostly unaware of Motorcyclists around them...so always be on your guard!

There are times when we appear to be totally invisible to other motorists!

Paul....still with nine lives!.... :D ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby logjam » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:08 pm

Paul, did you notice that the traffic was driven on the "Right" side of the highway. That just means that it isn't in the UK, where drivers have a whole different attitude. The UK is where road rage was born. Not the road rage that we see escalated to the levels of violence today, but road rage nevertheless. What I mean is the attitude the UK driver has about other people doing the things he himself cannot or has decided that it is unlawful to do. For example the guy that is stuck at a round-about, can't enter to take the 3rd exit, because the flow of traffic won't allow. When the unfortunate motorist muscles his way between the now stationary vehicles, he gets all sorts of abuse and things thrown at him. Sneaking down the motorway hard shoulder to take the next exit excites all sorts of obstructive behaviour. To actually do the lane sharing thing in the UK, would see vehicles driven so far to the center as to make it impossible for a motorcycle to do that. I used to call it "bloody mindedness" until I found myself thinking the same way :oops: . Until we all decide to share what little space we have, things won't change. O, as for the 3 sidecar thing I do see an increase in 3 wheeler activity, such as the KTM Spyder and the Honda Trike, just can't see how one can get the same enjoyment though.
logjam
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:26 pm

Road Rage!
That's interesting, Log!

I take that you think that the North American and Canadian Motorists are more tolerant of each other on the roads than they are in Great Britain?
I regularly watch the U-Tube Videos of those regions above, involving Motorists, Truck Drivers, and Harley, etc, Motorcycle Tourists, and they seem to get on very well together?
Over here, I do notice that it depends upon the particular area I am travelling on my Bike.
My Hereford City and Herefordshire Roads are blessed with Motorists and Heavy Truck Drivers who seem to take great care to observe me, indicate, and give me a wide berth when overtaking, for which I thank them, (the same as I do when overtaking Cyclists), whereas, in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, we Motorcyclists take our life in our hands amongst the locals when traversing the county roads.... :shock: ...!
One of the many treats of Motorcycling, is the skill of observation and anticipation, which hopefully will keep us safe...
...we don't have a protective cage surrounding us!

Each morning, I check the weather, and if it looks "nice", I tog-up, and go for a gentle ride around the County to admire the beautiful scenery, and return in time for Tea and Crumpets!... :D ...!

I tried fitting my new throw-over Saddle Bags to the Bike this afternoon, but its difficult to find places on the frame to secure them, to stop them swinging about...lots of elastic Bungee Straps required!!

Onwards... :D ...!

Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:04 pm

logjam wrote:To actually do the lane sharing thing in the UK, would see vehicles driven so far to the center as to make it impossible for a motorcycle to do that..

Sorry but I must protest. Not sure where you got that idea. What you call 'lane sharing' as in OldAirmail's photo is perfectly common on Britain's motorways. However, sneaking down the hard shoulder is strictly verboten.

I find that considering the ever-increasing traffic congestion the British motorist is remarkably tolerant.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:12 pm

Hagar wrote:...

I find that considering the ever-increasing traffic congestion the British motorist is remarkably tolerant.

And now we learn what happened to the worlds greatest empire - They became mild, meek, AND tolerant.

What has become of those who stood up to the power of Rome!

How sad. :cry:
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Sky Boy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:33 pm

Fozzer wrote:
Sky Boy wrote:Hi fellow FS Simmers,

Sky Boy
Arkansas, USA

Hello Sky!... :D ....!

I've had a number of different Sidecar outfits over the years (long ago) to transport my family around the countryside!
But those were the days when we could attach any old Sidecar to our British Bikes which were always fitted with frame-welded special lugs for their attachment!
A quick conversion from Solo Motorcycle to Sidecar outfit!

Modern Japanese, Italian, etc, motorcycles are not fitted with these special lugs for Sidecar attachment, (often with full fairings making it impossible), indeed it would be highly dangerous to fit them, and negate the Warranty!

http://www.sidecars.org.uk/info.html

There are a number of factory-built Sidecar outfits available...but very expensive!

Our old Brit Bike Combinations were cheap and cheerful in the olden days!

The trouble is, now, a Motorcycle Combination takes up as much room on the road as a motor car, and as likely to be caught up in a static traffic jam...much like 3-wheeler Motor Bikes!

I like the freedom to avoid the traffic on a Solo Motorbike nowadays!

"Traffic" is very bad for your health... :cry: ... :lol: ....!

Hi Colonel Paul!

Thanks for the response and enlightening me!

Please continue to share about your bike trips and any photos you (and others too!) might take? I truly enjoy them all!

Sky Boy
Arkansas, USA
Sky Boy
Ground hog
Ground hog

PreviousNext

Return to Autos