Car wax

With a lot of interest in Auto's here, only wingless machines please!

Car wax

Postby Steve M » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:29 pm

I have a question about factory paint on newer cars. Knowing that the later models are coated with a clear coat is it harmfull to wax them? When I turn on the extra lights in the garage our car shows these circular scratches in the finish, like someone took a buffing wheel to it. The owners manual says not to wax it. We bought the car as preowned so don't know if the previous owner waxed it. Is there a way to restore clear coat to look new again? :?:
Steve M
Major
Major

Re: Car wax

Postby logjam » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:57 pm

Steve, there is some stuff you can get. It's a whole system that most 'vette owners use, makes a pristine finish. I used it when I had a VW back in 2000, but I now have a pick-up that doesn't need such an expensive protection. They have a Canadian distributor now in Ontario, but it's out of someone's house, just a sec, I'll get the name from a bottle I have in the garage . . . It's called Zaino. there's a wash and a wax and a sealer. Believe me when you use it as instructed you can't beat it. here's the link http://www.zainostore.ca/
You should really read the method on the site to appeciate that they're not trying to sell you a ball of wax so to speak hahaha.
8)
logjam
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:11 am

I can remember my old 1982 Austin Allegro 1.5 HL with its bronze metallic paint finish, and the recommendation in the owner's manual NOT to wax polish it...
....but to just wash it down with clean water.

Paul....my Austin Allegro is still sulking in my garage since 1990........(Best place for it, Hagar would say!)..... :lol: ... :lol: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Steve M » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:37 am

Thanks Logjam I'm checking into Zaino.
Paul, This one wasn't to be waxed either, but I think someone has already done it. 8)
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby Apex » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:30 am

I'll start by saying that you should research this very carefully, regardless of what I say here.

In my opinion and experience: Waxing protects against direct sunlight, extreme heat, and general wear of your car's paint job.

If your car is garaged, that may have some bearing on to wax or not to wax.

If your car is not garaged, in general, you should wax every 3-4 months with what you think is the best wax on the market. That's what I've done for 12 years, no garage, hot Florida summer sun, white paint, and it still looks very good. Yes, those wax scratches will eventually show, but only against sunlight or under garage lights.

Recently a mechanic told me that there's a way to have your paint rejuvenated, but a friend countered that by saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Another thing to look into carefully.

One former car of mine, from 1988 - 1992: I just never got around to waxing it except maybe once or twice. It was bought new. White paint. The paint started peeling in mid 1992.

I'd like to know why owner's manual's say not to wax. It might have something to do with the clear coat thing.

Like I said, this is something that no one person may be able to answer right on. Get a lot of opinions, and be sure you regard them as opinions. Be sure you mention the garage thing.

If all you're concerned about are those hairline scratches: The alternative might be worse.

So do give it a lot of thought.

A compromise might be to wax maybe once a year.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby logjam » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:41 am

Apex is right, check it out 1st. I used Zaino only because my sister and her husband both had showroom Corvettes that always won prizes for the best finish. So I scrounged some from them to do my brand new 2000 VW. I only ever did it 2 times a year. Never garaged, kept on the street in all weather. Mind you, I lived in Vancouver most of the time, but when I sold it in 2007 I got exactly 1/2 what I paid for it because it looked like new. Like I said before, I now have a pick-up which gets really dirty so I don't need an expensive body protection. If you lived closer, I'd give you what I have left over.
logjam
Major
Major

Postby FoMoCo63 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:13 am

I would check with the dealership and find out what they used when the vehicle was new to give it the shine, and if the manual recommends not to wax the vehicle this tells me that probably a protective coating was applied to the vehicle. Over time the protective coating will fade due to ultra-violet, and show signs of wear, and car wash fatigue. It might just be possible the buffing scratches you see are just on the protective coating and not on the paint.

I know FORD uses a Teflon sealer applied to the finish to preserve and protect the paint underneath. I have had this redone at the dealership when I feel some of the luster has disappeared, it does not last forever. It seems to really help make scratches and etc. appear invisible that car wash wear and tear does to a vehicle, as well to return the luster back to the vehicle, and that new car smell to the outside.

Just another option here.
FoMoCo63
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:09 pm

The paint on my old car has a special coating (like varnish?) to protect its metallic paint, and extend its life, and it is not recommended to wax, etc, polish it, only to use clean water to clean it!
The advice is included in the owners manual.

Paul.. Waxing lyrical... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Bass » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:20 pm

Always use Wenol ;)
This is not an adverticement, but i do expect some shining surfaces :whistle:

(Use to use it many years ago, when i loved my cars! Today, i dont care) O0
"Just try to be YOU"!............ Kurt 

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:33 pm

Bass wrote:Always use Wenol ;)
This is not an adverticement, but i do expect some shining surfaces :whistle:

(Use to use it many years ago, when i loved my cars! Today, i dont care) O0

"Wenol"

Medication for an over-active Bladder?

Paul... :D ...1
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby logjam » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:43 pm

Preparation H works well for scratches. It doesn't actually remove the scratch, it pulls the sides in so you don't notice them. Works with baldness too, just run a line down the middle of your head.
logjam
Major
Major

Postby expat » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:35 pm

Fozzer wrote:Paul....my Austin Allegro is still sulking in my garage since 1990........(Best place for it, Hagar would say!)..... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

Not just Hagar.................................. :whistle:

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Capt_Cronic » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:48 pm

if you decide on a product/method and your still unsure,
you can always test it on a non visible part of the car
like under the trunk lid, under hood, a door jam, etc.
ASUS P8Z77-VLK, I5-3570k @ 4.4ghz, G.SKILL 16gb 1600, GTX 570 2560MB GDDR5, 2x OCZ Vertex 4 128Gb SSD SATA 3,
WD 500GB SATA 3, ASUS DRW-24B1ST SATA 3, OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular, Samsung 52" lcd, Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Capt_Cronic
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Steve M » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:33 pm

Capt_Cronic wrote:if you decide on a product/method and your still unsure,
you can always test it on a non visible part of the car
like under the trunk lid, under hood, a door jam, etc.

Eggzactly, I sure would do a test spot. 8)
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby Steve M » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:52 pm

After searching the entire internet there seems to be a difference of opinion, to wax or not to wax. Apex thanks for your reply and as a side note the car is kept in a heated/air conditioned garage when not in use.
Now Bass.. :lol: I'll get back to you on that Wenol thing when I figure out what it is.
And everyone knows that Preperation H is for polishing tail pipes. :clap:
Steve M
Major
Major

Next

Return to Autos