Car wax

With a lot of interest in Auto's here, only wingless machines please!

Re: Car wax

Postby Steve M » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:17 pm

Is this one an Austin Allegro? Hmmm?

Image 8)
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby logjam » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:17 am

That looks like the one my father had Steve. He lost his license in 1990 when his eyesight failed. He parked it in the garage till he passed away at age 89. He promised the car to me, but when I went back to UK to bury him, the others had given the car to the Fire Brigade for practice. Same colour everything, hmmm different wheels.
logjam
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:00 am

So from what you all are saying,,,,

Apparently all this time I wasn't supposed to be using "Sand Paper" ??????

Now ya tell me !!!
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:00 am

Steve M wrote:Is this one an Austin Allegro? Hmmm?

https://www.simviation.com/phpupload/upl ... 672441.jpg 8)

That's my baby!..... :dance: ...!

Austin Allegro. 1982 (the last of the line). Model 1.5HL Series 3. OHC. Twin Carburettor.
...finished in metallic bronze..(Do not polish!.... ;) ...).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Allegro

Laid up since 1990. Too much traffic on the roads to use it now!......Motorbikes Rule!

Paul.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wvernonc » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:22 am

I have worked in a new car dealership for years detailing cars. The clear coat paint is a paint to protect the color coat underneath. It is not necessary to wax the clear coat. However, since it is a paint, I would recommend waxing it with a good quality wax. Super hard shell turtle wax is hard to beat. The small scratches you see are probably from hand washing and are almost impossible not to make. Dust will scratch any paint even with water applied.

Our local body shop also recommends waxing the clear coat to keep oils in the paint and make it last longer.

Hope this helps.
wvernonc
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Bass » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:56 am

:lol: :lol: :shock: :shock:
I'm truly shocked that you car guys dont know what "Wenol" is!!
http://www.shinesbrite.com/wenolhardwax.html

Maybe its because theres a little work to do with it. :roll:
You start on a corner and wrap the car in. When you get around, the wax should be dry, and you can start polishing the same way around!
This "work" will last atleast 1-2 years! I know, and i've been using it on boat/caravan too :whistle:
"Just try to be YOU"!............ Kurt 

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Postby Apex » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:08 am

There's been a lot of good stuff posted here on this subject. One other item you might consider: A Wash and Wax. It's basically soap with a little wax mixed in. I've been using the Armor All version lately, it washes well. How effective the wax part works is hard to tell. I don't consider this to be a substitute for conventional waxing. I've only used it twice so far, so can't tell if it will be possible to do a conventional wax less often. But it may be a compromise between "to wax or not to wax". And of course, that is the question here. As said, it's impossible to prevent those light swirl scratches, but this W&W stuff is pretty mild, foams like regular soap, and seems pretty harmless.

As far as garaging a car, we all have to take it and park it here and there all the time, so it's still going to get some weather wear.

So, as the Bard once said,

"To wax or not to wax, that is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous waxing
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
Which may arise from not waxing."
Apex
Major
Major

Postby Steve M » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:15 pm

wvernonc wrote:I have worked in a new car dealership for years detailing cars. The clear coat paint is a paint to protect the color coat underneath. It is not necessary to wax the clear coat. However, since it is a paint, I would recommend waxing it with a good quality wax. Super hard shell turtle wax is hard to beat. The small scratches you see are probably from hand washing and are almost impossible not to make. Dust will scratch any paint even with water applied.

Our local body shop also recommends waxing the clear coat to keep oils in the paint and make it last longer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Wv. That is helpfull.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby Steve M » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:25 pm

Bass wrote::lol: :lol: :shock: :shock:
I'm truly shocked that you car guys dont know what "Wenol" is!!
http://www.shinesbrite.com/wenolhardwax.html

Maybe its because theres a little work to do with it. :roll:
You start on a corner and wrap the car in. When you get around, the wax should be dry, and you can start polishing the same way around!
This "work" will last atleast 1-2 years! I know, and i've been using it on boat/caravan too :whistle:

I'm checking into this Wenol stuff. Like said earlier I think the key is to get the grit off your car before washing with sponges and waxing. Its way to sloppy here to try and wax yet. I'm going to take away from all this is that those pounding rotory strips at a car wash is not good for your paint. 8)
Steve M
Major
Major

Previous

Return to Autos