Why I now hate oil filters...

With a lot of interest in Auto's here, only wingless machines please!

Re: Why I now hate oil filters...

Postby Jetranger » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:48 am

I Don't even use OIL in my Engine anymore !!

It just seems kinda pointless, and its expensive anyway.

Why use Oil anyway??

I just run it, few cranks here and there and she keeps on goin' !

Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby BLAZE » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:22 am

My favorite movie quote that comes to mind (since you mentioned movie quotes MusicFlyer) and I think it fits this particular situation well
is from the 1983 film -War Games- "Hell, I'ed piss on a sparkplug if I thought it would do any good!" (Barry Corbin as General Beringer) :lol:
BLAZE
Captain
Captain

Postby Bass » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:30 am

:clap: :clap:
Next time you change one, always use a finger to get some oil on the rubber gasket ;)
"Just try to be YOU"!............ Kurt 

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Postby boromir125 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:06 pm

Don't feel bad, we've all been there. The screwdriver through the bottom (perpendicular to the filter) works, tapping the rim at an oblique angle works, and tearing the thing to shreds and working off the remainder works too! There is filter wrench unlike the others; it looks like a large socket, and will fit either a 3/8 in or 1/2 in (depending on the size you get) socket wrench. Works great, doesn't require a lot of room and allows for leverage to remove the filter.
boromir125
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Steve M » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:05 pm

It's sort of moot point now because the original poster has left the area and I apologize if I got out of line. If you lube the rubber gasket and the threads with high temperature automotive grease, the filter will never freeze up. The same applies to the old cork or rubber valve cover gaskets. Oil tends to dry up after a while.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby CrashII » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:53 am

Ok. It's a bit off topic but changing oil at 3000 or 5000 miles? What a waste of money and oil. I drive a 2012 Volkswagen Transporter TDI. That's a van for those who don't know. It just had it's first oilchange. At 40.000km. Which is exactly according to factory specs. Next oil change? 60.000 km. If I had to change oil every 3000 miles I would be in the workshop every 4 weeks. I also have a 2001 Mercedes-Benz A160. I gave it an oilchange the day I bought it in Januari 2013. Next oilchange? Somewhere next year. Without any problem. Type of oil? Cheapest lube I can get my greasy hands on...
CrashII
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:17 pm

Good for you.

"Sep 19, 2002 (6:00 am)
A Class Action Lawsuit was filed against Mercedes Benz that effects owners of all 1999, 2000 and 2001 Mercedes Benz vehicles. When Mercedes Benz implemented the Flexible Service System (FSS) in 1999, which permitted extended oil change intervals of up to 20,000 miles, they recommended changes with regular (fossil) oils.
By 2001 they experienced some engines with excessive sludge deposits and early engine failures. They then recommended oil changes with only specific brands of synthetic motor oils to address this problem. Since Mercedes Benz initial recommendation for use of fossil oils resulted in not only engine failures of 1999, 2000 and 2001 vehicles, but also premature wear in others, a class action suited was filed against Mercedes Benz. Approximately 2 weeks ago, Mercedes Benz agreed to settle this suit by agreeing to extend the warranty on all 1999, 2000 and 2001 Mercedes Benz vehicles to 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. In addition, the owners of 1999 vehicles will receive a total of $3,500 of service, of their choice, at a Mercedes Benz dealer."

The engines that you have are diesel. Their service requirements are different then gas burning engines.

I know very little else about automotive issues, but I believe that the differing service requirements are one of the reasons why tractor trailers, etc. use diesel engines.

Now if you want to talk about the service requirements for my FSX aircraft, I can talk for one, or maybe as long as two, minutes. :lol:
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:20 pm

HAY!!!

talking about off topic.....

What happened to the original poster???

I guess he must have said something bad and was banned???
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby BLAZE » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:51 pm

OldAirmail wrote:HAY!!!

talking about off topic.....

What happened to the original poster???

I guess he must have said something bad and was banned???

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. :think:
BLAZE
Captain
Captain

Postby musicflyer2 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:42 pm

whoa, hey guys, slow down. I haven't been banned or anything. Those asking why I change my oil so often...if you read the earlier posts I mention why I change oil so often. For some reason my password quit working so I had to make a new account (I tried putting in my email address for the password recovery thing and it said i didn't have a valid email address). Quite honestly, this thread is old news. Tie to move on guys, the problem has long since been fixed. moving on.
musicflyer2
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby musicflyer2 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:43 pm

Steve M wrote:It's sort of moot point now because the original poster has left the area and I apologize if I got out of line. If you lube the rubber gasket and the threads with high temperature automotive grease, the filter will never freeze up. The same applies to the old cork or rubber valve cover gaskets. Oil tends to dry up after a while.

Don't worry about it man. All is forgotten.
musicflyer2
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby OldAirmail » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:38 pm

Well, we hate to loose a good person, and a search for "musicflyer" only produces one hit.

And that one is only a mention of you by Blaze in one of his posts.

What probably happened was in the mod's haste to get rig of all the spammers, they delegated your account.

It'll be a sadder world without your past posts to cheer us up. :D
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby musicflyer2 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:54 pm

OldAirmail wrote:Well, we hate to loose a good person, and a search for "musicflyer" only produces one hit.

And that one is only a mention of you by Blaze in one of his posts.

What probably happened was in the mod's haste to get rig of all the spammers, they delegated your account.

It'll be a sadder world without your past posts to cheer us up. :D

...You mean deleted? ;)

I figured something happened. I sent the administrators a PM discussing the issue. I doubt I can get the old account back but I am here with my brand new shiny account! ;)
musicflyer2
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby pete » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:21 pm

I'm sorry your old account seems to have evaporated. You were not banned ... I'm looking into it ....
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:24 pm

pete wrote:.... You were not banned ... I'm looking into it ....

OH NO! You're looking in to banning him!!!!! :lol:
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Previous

Return to Autos