Rear view mirror re-attachment

With a lot of interest in Auto's here, only wingless machines please!

Rear view mirror re-attachment

Postby Apex » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:26 am

Rear view mirror blues.

Has anyone had any experience with either 'Mister Glue' or 'Rhino Glue'? These glues are only available direct from mfgr.

Both of these glues are one-part glues, so that simplifies the process, no mixing or use of a so called applicator or activator.

Nothing else has worked. My mechanic didn't have any luck either. All attempts fell right off after 24 hour drying time.

I have contacted each company and am waiting for replies. 'Mister Glue' website states that their glue is also used for mirror attachment, 'Rhino Glue' website is not specific.

I've already gone on Amazon reading reviews of various standard type glues, hard to tell, different results with different people.

Googling "Industrial strength rear view mirror glue" just comes up with the usual standard stuff.

I have temporarily rigged the mirror to the right hand visor, it works OK that way, I can see out the back just right, but it sure would be nice to get this done right.

Thanks, y'awl.
Apex
Major
Major

Re: Rear view mirror re-attachment

Postby expat » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:57 am

I would forget trying to glue it back on and buy a double sided tape pad for it. Google it and you will probably find on in a local auto shop. That is how most are held on today.

Matt
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby 1olehippy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:12 pm

It's been a long time but I've re-glued many a mirror. Google rear view mirror glue, there are several made for that purpose. Over the years I've had no trouble with them.

Stick in there,

Dave
1olehippy
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:28 pm

There has to be a reason that the rearview mirror glues haven't stuck.

Even if you don't smoke, normal human exhalents will coat your windshield. Scrape the area with a razorblade if you can, and/or clean it with the proper solvents.

At any rate, a real man would have used duct tape. :D
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Apex » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:48 am

Thanks guys, right now it's fixed with VersaChem, a rear mirror adhesive from Amazon which got good reviews. Time will tell if this works, but, unlike the other fixes which fell off right away, this is still holding. I've applied light hand pressure to be sure, no problems. Yet. From now on, I'll adjust the mirror by holding the arm steady to relieve stress on the button.

If if fails, I'm going to attach it to the plastic pocket thingie that's right up front overhead, that's a last resort that will work with a piece of wood and some screws, something I'm good at.

I did clean the glass and button very thoroughly.

That double sided tape suggestion by Matt is good, I might look into that regardless.
Apex
Major
Major

Return to Autos