Parking brake

With a lot of interest in Auto's here, only wingless machines please!

Re: Parking brake

Postby Triple_7 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:41 am

Drive an automatic and mostly park on a flat surface so no need to set the park brake, only use it on inclines.
Triple_7

Postby Owen » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:32 am

Parking brake is a latching brake which is mostly used to keep the vehicle stationary. Parking brake is very useful in order to prevent a vehicle from rolling on mountains and sliding. It s operated with hand and it stop the front wheel of the car. In bikes, it can be use for one wheeling.
Owen
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby expat » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:21 am

Parking brake is a latching brake which is mostly used to keep the vehicle stationary. Parking brake is very useful in order to prevent a vehicle from rolling on mountains and sliding. It s operated with hand and it stop the front wheel of the car. In bikes, it can be use for one wheeling.

:-? :-?
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Steve M » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:02 pm

:-? :-?

Gettng his minimum posts in to post links.. I suppose

A parking Break, an open spot right by the entrance to the mall.                  
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby Ivan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:23 pm

Owen has a pre 1987 Saab 900... that one has the parking brake on the front wheels  ;D
Russian planes: IL-76 (all standard length ones),  Tu-154 and Il-62, Tu-134 and [url=http://an24.uw.hu/]An-24RV[/ur
Ivan
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Strategic Retreat » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:40 pm

The only time... well, TWO times... a parking brake froze on me was on my first car, an old as Noah and as much as battered SIMCA 1307GLS I had in the 90ies, but it wasn't quite a FROZEN parking brake, it was a STUCK parking brake.

Once it happened while I was trying to start the car up after the night from the parking to go on my way, and trying to get it unstuck I almost fried the clutch, and the second time it partially stuck while I was driving, boiling the braking fluid over and giving me a nasty surprise when trying to break I had the sinking feeling of the brake pedal sinking itself all the way down to the pavement with the car barely even slowing down. Luckily the road was empty and nothing... untoward happened.

Even since then, my cars have always been of a better kind, and that never happened... beside one sole time, but it was MY FAULT for having left the parking brake partially engaged while driving on my old BMW, which had quite the weak parking brake that forced me to learn to park my car in first gear when the front was downhill, and in rear gear when the front was uphill, to be sure, almost never in neutral anyway. A procedure that has stuck with me and I do it always without thinking.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Previous

Return to Autos